New to veganism AND bodybuilding

Pechanni

Hello everyone! My first post here!

I went vegan cold turkey about 7 months ago. I was suddenly so disgusted with what I normally ate that a slow, deliberate transition to veganism simply wasn't an option; I was less concerned with getting proper nutrition than with putting an end to the suffering I caused.

Generally I'm happy with my vegan diet, I have found some recipes I like, and I have more energy than before. I'd like to put on some muscle. I'm very lean, I'm about 5,8" tall and I weigh around 120 lb (I think). I'm not aspiring to become a professional athlete. Even though I'd probably only go to the gym 2-3 times a week, and I'd prefer not to put too much preparation and planning into my every meal, of course I would like to eat something that allows muscles to develop nicely.

But I'm very confused about what sort of diet I should aim for. In Denmark, where I'm from, the official recommended amount of protein is only 7% of diet. Elsewhere I've heard a rule of thumb saying one should get 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, which sounds like a lot. I read The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier, and although it has a lot of good advice, I feel that some of the recipes demand a bit too much work and preparation for me to incorporate into my every day life, and I don't feel it gave me a good basic overview of what I type of food I should aim for.

So my questions are something along these lines: How much protein is really necessary? What other nutrients are important? Are the benefits of eating raw, as Brazier suggests, really that incredible, or can you still gain muscle nicely with cooked food? Any general tips for getting started on building a stronger body.

Thanks in advance!

Vegan power!

Welcome to Veganbodybuilding.com! Good to have you "here" online and posting...

I actually just wrote about this on another post... Throughout the day, the body needs a certain number of proteins / amino acids available to rebuild muscle, since the body doesn't store protein. The protein amount you want for a "normal person" is approx. 40-50% of your weight, in grams. So if you're 120 lbs, you want 48-60 grams of protein. (source: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/changing-protein-recommendations/) Although since you're looking to build muscle, I'd up that a bit to 60-75 grams. (Whoever said 1.5 grams/lb was probably thinking Olympic weight lifters, not you. 180 grams for you would be excessive to say the least. There's no exact science, but try out 60-75 and see how it feels. For longevity and health reasons, eat a variety of whole foods + protein-rich supplements or foods, and get your B12, Vitamin D & Omega 3's (all are available as non-animal sources). Then get your workout on!!! Can't forget that...

Feel free to peruse that link I added above. The entire website is non-profit and educational about living long and well on a vegan diet. No corporate sponsors.

Welcome to the group pechanni! Its true often people here have the same or similar questions, the search in the upper right hand corner is great to track down other threads where people have discussed what you are interested in.

-Dylan