Hydration Struggles

Although we all know the importance of staying hydrated, it is still more difficult for some than others. I live in a place that is extremely dry and with high elevation to boot (Colorado). I drink water constantly and still feel dehydrated. The only times i feel hydrated are in the morning of the days where i work evening shifts because i can focus on drinkong lots of water, or my days off. Supplements (protein powder, beet powder, Vega pwo) require me to drink even more water, and I drink about 1.2 liters around workout time alone. I would guess i drink around 4-5 lifers a day, which is less than stellar, judging by the way my body feels right now. But that seems like a lit of water to me... Thank goodness i have a non alcoholic, non medicated lifestyle, because these could make things worse.

I just woke up and have drank nearly a liter of water. I will need about 1.75 liters before i do anything else, or I will be trying to "catch up" all day long. I carry two blender bottles with me everywhere I go. I refill each one as soon as i finish it. I find myself being more dilligent about drinking water when i use this method compared to a jug. Please offer any tips as to what i can do to avoid dehydration or improve my water retention.

this is personal opinion, but do you drink much caffein? i find if i drink something high in caffein, it makes me feel tired/sluggish and dehydrated soon after (which is why i cut back alot of caffein, usually stick to green/herbal teas, traditional chinese teas, and maybe a rare black tea)

edit: watch out for those electrolyte drinks, most are loaded with sugar, and will give you a sugar rush, i recall seeing a pure electrolyte blend on my local supplement site (i ordered some too, but never tried it)

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/buy/electrolyte-blend/EB , it's unflavored, unsweetened, i think i tried it once, and it added a slight milky taste to water, and wouldnt dissolve easily (wasnt a problem though), i intended to use it during my sports season, but then it ended

I drink one or two cups of coffee a day any more than that and I feel like I am going to bounce of the walls.

The electrolyte tabs I am talking about are not the pre mixed gatorade or powerade or that kind of crap and don't have sugar. Nuun, hammer and vega all have almost no calories.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, water is more than 95% of what I drink. I stay away from caffiene, sports drinks, energy drinks, sodas, booze... even juice is very very rare for me. This issue isn't as bad as it was, but it is still there. Although I have my qualms about creatine, I did start taking it, after talking to a whole lot of trainers and nutritionists. It helps with water retention and I feel way more hydrated now that I have cycled creatine, of all products! Chia seeds in the water also help quite a bit.