protein shake before bed and before breakfast

radict

About a year ago I started making a 40g protein shake (nitrofusion w/water), drinking half right before bed and half right when I wake up. At night, I eat half of a super high fiber tortilla and have some flax oil with the shake, and in the morning I mix in some grape juice (maybe 4 oz). My last whole food meal is about an hour before bed and a whole food breakfast is usually about 45 minutes after the morning shake.

Are these shakes worth doing? Both breakfast and my last meal are always 20-30g protein, and not counting the 40g protein shake I get about 150g protein every day. I could never got my body fat as low as I wanted last summer, getting stuck at about 10%, and so I was thinking about ditching the shakes this spring to cut calories. But, I'm paranoid about losing muscle. Thoughts? Thanks!

...so I was thinking about ditching the shakes this spring to cut calories. But, I'm paranoid about losing muscle. Thoughts? Thanks!

You won't lose muscle by ditching a shake or two. I have a lot less protein powder/shakes now than I used to but I have made sure that what I'm eating in place of them is more consistent and of high quality. Shakes are just convenient, but no better in terms of gaining or preserving muscle than actual food. 150g per day of protein is a lot, and even possibly a little on the high side IMHO.

FWIW, I use a pea protein powder and just use it when I feel like it. Over my muesli or oats usually, I quite often don't take one straight after my training like I always used to. Personally I noticed zero difference in muscle gain or loss from cutting back on them.