Plateau and Caloric Intake

This is my first post on this site. I didn't realize VBB&F had this forum. I'm thrilled.

Anyway, I've been vegan over 3.5 years. I can thank Jill Ovnik (vegangal.com) for that.

Here's my stats:

I'm 44.

BEFORE:

Weight - 270 lbs @ 5'7"

Chol - 206

CRP - 12

Glucose -90's

NOW:

Weight - 207 @ 5'7"

Chol - 156

CRP - 2

Glucose -70's

I lost 20 lbs right off the bat in 2 months without exercise and stay there until 1.5 years later when I finally got a trainer and started working out again... the result of a divorce that got me off my ass. For the last two years, I strength train at least twice a week and do cardio 3 times a week on average... mostly elliptical, sometimes the bike. My fiancé, is a runner and she joins me for strength training once and a while. She's not vegan, but eats mostly unprocessed foods which makes it easy because she just deletes when she cooks. On a personal note, I can't tell you what having a partner who works out with you and eats healthy does for you. It makes all the difference.

I hit 207 last July and I haven't been able to get any lower. I also have a little bit of my gut left but its nothing like it was. I figure I'm probably eating around 2500-3000 calories a day on average with the occasional glass of wine or maybe a beer once in a while. Nothing excessive. I normally burn 500-700 calories when I workout, though my cardio naturally tends to be around Zone 4 or 5 when I workout or 150-165 bpm.

Okay, so now for my question.

I've wondering what I might be able to do in order to break this plateau or is it I've hit a wall due to my age? I've even though about liposuction as I'd like to get down at least another 20 if not 30 lbs.

What's the average amount of calories I should be eating for my height (5'7")? Should I go lower?

Any advice?

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first post on this site. I didn't realize VBB&F had this forum. I'm thrilled.

Anyway, I've been vegan over 3.5 years. I can thank Jill Ovnik (vegangal.com) for that.

Here's my stats:

I'm 44.

BEFORE:

Weight - 270 lbs @ 5'7"

Chol - 206

CRP - 12

Glucose -90's

NOW:

Weight - 207 @ 5'7"

Chol - 156

CRP - 2

Glucose -70's

I lost 20 lbs right off the bat in 2 months without exercise and stay there until 1.5 years later when I finally got a trainer and started working out again... the result of a divorce that got me off my ass. For the last two years, I strength train at least twice a week and do cardio 3 times a week on average... mostly elliptical, sometimes the bike. My fiancé, is a runner and she joins me for strength training once and a while. She's not vegan, but eats mostly unprocessed foods which makes it easy because she just deletes when she cooks. On a personal note, I can't tell you what having a partner who works out with you and eats healthy does for you. It makes all the difference.

I hit 207 last July and I haven't been able to get any lower. I also have a little bit of my gut left but its nothing like it was. I figure I'm probably eating around 2500-3000 calories a day on average with the occasional glass of wine or maybe a beer once in a while. Nothing excessive. I normally burn 500-700 calories when I workout, though my cardio naturally tends to be around Zone 4 or 5 when I workout or 150-165 bpm.

Okay, so now for my question.

I've wondering what I might be able to do in order to break this plateau or is it I've hit a wall due to my age? I've even though about liposuction as I'd like to get down at least another 20 if not 30 lbs.

What's the average amount of calories I should be eating for my height (5'7")? Should I go lower?

Any advice?

First off congrats on the weight loss! Second is true that as we age our metabolism may slow down some but that just means adapting your numbers and I seriously doubt at 44 that would a be a concern for you yet.

Now there are several reasons why someone might hit a wall on weight loss, but the most common reason is diet. There is a big difference between eating 2500 and eating 3000 calories a day. It's enough of a difference to add or lose a pound a week. So I first suggest finding out exactly what you are eating over a one week period. Then cut back on calories for a week or two if you lose weight after cutting back then you know the solution. If you don't and definitely know you are eating at a deficit then I wouldn't worry to much unless it goes on to long. If your biggest priority is weight loss you want want to sit at a weight to long but say 4 to 6 weeks can reasonable because scales don't always tell the whole story. You could be adding muscle, or your body could just be going through an adaption ect..

Now another option would be to leave the diet alone (I'm assuming you are currently maintaining your weight) and increase exercise, weight training or cardio. Depending on your overall goals and preferences.