Frozen veggies

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

nicole
Manatee

Frozen veggies

#1 Postby nicole » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:44 am

Better than no veggies or totally pointless???

SeaSiren
Elephant

Re: Frozen veggies

#2 Postby SeaSiren » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:25 am

nicole wrote:Better than no veggies or totally pointless???

In this order: Fresh local (best), fresh, frozen, canned.

Fresh local would have the most nutrients. Fresh would be next, but if the veggies had to be transported a long distance and have been sitting for very long, I might grab frozen. In most cases frozen veggies are blanched and frozen close to having been harvested. Canned would hold the least nutrients although I do buy canned tomates for cooking and also beans to have on hand when I don't have time to soak dried (altough canned beans should be rinsed before using). Knowing what I know now I no longer buy canned veggies outside of the one's I listed.

If you are cooking the veggies the difference between the fresh and the frozen ("fresh packed") would be very minimal.

veganpotter

Frozen

#3 Postby veganpotter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:20 pm

I don't think its pointless to go frozen. Its definately not as good as fresh but when I was in dorms I had no choice but to keep frozen veggies/berries in my freezer and I got really strong getting alot of my veggies that way. I ate veggies in the cafateria too but other than the tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms there was only iceburg lettuce so really pretty much all my real greens were frozen.

Kathryn
Elephant

#4 Postby Kathryn » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:08 pm

I think sometimes, frozen is more nutritious than 'fresh': many frozen foods are quick frozen at the peak of ripeness, while 'fresh' stuff in the grocery store may have been shipped a long distance (and often picked uripe) and sitting around for many days. Just get organic if you can.

Frozen is definItely better than 'no' fruits/veggies.

Even better, perhaps, are dried veggies, especially if they are dried at a low temperature (and organic! Notice a theme?). I buy some from www.sunorganicfarm.com . They are good in the winter if you don't live somewhere where fresh/local is available year-round.

veganpotter

veggies

#5 Postby veganpotter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm

What dried veggies do you eat??? I've only seen dried seaweed

Hero
Elephant

#6 Postby Hero » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:30 pm

there are sun dried tomatoes...

nicole
Manatee

#7 Postby nicole » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks for the information everyone! My schedule is often CRAZY and I am usually only able to go grocery shopping about once every two weeks, so sometimes frozen is the best we can do. I'm glad that it's not all that bad! :D

Kathryn
Elephant

Re: veggies

#8 Postby Kathryn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:12 am

veganpotter wrote:What dried veggies do you eat??? I've only seen dried seaweed

So far, I've used dried red pepper (can't find organic locally, and I use it a lot), tomatoes, and mushrooms, but pretty much any veggie can be dried and later hydrated (the texture does change to something a bit chewier than the fresh, but you can usually find a way to work with it).

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”