Soy-Free Protein Options

Hi Everyone,

Brand new here, and I know this topic has been approached from time to time (I searched around a little bit)... But I'm looking for suggestions for some soy-free sources of protein. I'm not able to eat soy-- this post isn't meant as a discussion on whether or not to eat soy, as unfortunately I can't include it in my diet.

Right now my protein sources are homemade beans, nuts, and seeds. I use Vega protein shakes. My biggest goal at the moment is to lose some fat and lean up. I'm female, 40, 132 lbs and 5'2". I cycle, spin, crossfit, and do yoga. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 15 more pounds (I'm down 80). I'm also focused on building muscle, but more than anything, I want to be more lean. I know that as I build muscle, the leanness will come along with it. I've been trying to keep my carbs down, under 110 grams. It's a bit of a challenge. I have to really work and pay attention to get 60-70 grams of protein each day, and I'd really like to increase that.

I've been vegan since December.

Any advice will be valuable to me. Looking forward to being an active member of the board!

Thank you!

Ally

Hey Ally,

Seitan is a great source of non-soy protein, along with other obvious things like spinach and lentils; Pardina lentils, especially. You can also get pretty decent protein from peas. Do you live in the States? If so, there's a company called Beyond Meat that makes great meat substitute products that are soy free, I believe. They have chikn strips, beefy crumbles, meetballs, and burgers.

If you're into cooking, seitan is also really easy to make. Here's a sample recipe: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-perfect-seitan/ Haven't tried that myself, but it's just an example.

Other sources of protein are things like quinoa and bulgur. Also, there's the adzuki bean, which has super high protein content compared to most other beans. You can find them at whole foods, or online on Amazon.

Good luck! Start a training journal!

Chris

• 1 month later...

I'm soy-free too, thanks to a protein-based allergy issue. I eat a ton of beans, which I'm sure you already do. The other way I get protein into the mix is by mixing protein powder into my coffee, eating seitan, and a lot of quinoa and similar grains.

Unfortunately, Beyond Meat is NOT soy-free, it is based on soy protein isolate.

• 1 month later...