Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Stearate

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Vegetariansoul
Rabbit

Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Stearate

#1 Postby Vegetariansoul » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:08 pm

A client asked me why these were ingredients in an herbal formulation he was using. I coudn't answer at the time. I am guessing something used as a preservative? None of my herbal formulations use those two ingredients. These were more "mainstream" products. Can anyone help. I will be googling around to try and get some info. Thanks in advance.

~Michael
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."-Albert Einstein

http://www.myspace.com/vegetariansoul

Kathryn
Elephant

#2 Postby Kathryn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:28 am

I think the dicalcium phosphate might be used as a drying ingredient? Or to somehow keep the right consistency? Could also be a source of calcium. Not sure about magnesium stearate (except as a source of magnesium).

Kathryn
Elephant

#3 Postby Kathryn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:44 am

I just found my "Vegetarian Journal's Guide to Food Ingredients" while I was cleaning, and can give you more info.
Dicalcium phosphate is listed as vegan. It is a common food additive that has many functions, including regulating acidity in foods.
Magnesium stearate can be animal or plant derived, and may be used as a preservative, or as a substance which blends together ingredients which do not normally blend (like oil and water).

Vegetariansoul
Rabbit

#4 Postby Vegetariansoul » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks Kath, that really helped. Your awesome.
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."-Albert Einstein

http://www.myspace.com/vegetariansoul

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”