Vegan post workout drink/snack - no soy?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

leif3141
Finch

Vegan post workout drink/snack - no soy?

#1 Postby leif3141 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:02 am

Full disclaimer - I am not a vegan. but I am trying to go and not eat a lot of allergen type foods like milk and eggs because I am having a lot of itchy skin issues as of late when consuming them. At the same time, I am trying to also not eat soy as well. I am just curious for suggestions from vegans in this department. This morning for instance I had 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 tablespoons of honey.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Re: Vegan post workout drink/snack - no soy?

#2 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Post workout I just tend to either eat food of some sort, quite often it's muesli & fruit as it's lighter and easier for me to digest :wink:

If I want more of a shake I just use a vegetable based protein mixed with rice, almond, oat or coconut milk. Whatever sort I have in my fridge at the time haha 8)

HempHeartOfaChamp
Rabbit

#3 Postby HempHeartOfaChamp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:43 pm

leif3141 wrote:Full disclaimer - I am not a vegan. but I am trying to go and not eat a lot of allergen type foods like milk and eggs because I am having a lot of itchy skin issues as of late when consuming them. At the same time, I am trying to also not eat soy as well. I am just curious for suggestions from vegans in this department. This morning for instance I had 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 tablespoons of honey.

I wouldn't be soy adverse, but if you insist, most of the vegan proteins (vega/sunwarrior) are soy free.

For food, combine grains and beans. Together they make complete proteins. My post workout meal involves no soy and totals over 50g of protein, feature dish is based around black beans, chickpeas, quinoa, and bulgur.

NOTE:

I am 15 pounds bigger than I was in my avy haha

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#4 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:23 pm

HempHeartOfaChamp wrote:I wouldn't be soy adverse, but if you insist, most of the vegan proteins (vega/sunwarrior) are soy free.

Ditto :wink: IMO I wouldn't get too hung up on soy, there seems to be some xenoestrogenic activity but from what I have read this seems to be extremely minimal. Certainly appears not enough to have any effect on hormone levels within the body anyhow so if you're eating it in moderation I believe it poses no risk.

HempHeartOfaChamp
Rabbit

#5 Postby HempHeartOfaChamp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
HempHeartOfaChamp wrote:I wouldn't be soy adverse, but if you insist, most of the vegan proteins (vega/sunwarrior) are soy free.

Ditto :wink: IMO I wouldn't get too hung up on soy, there seems to be some xenoestrogenic activity but from what I have read this seems to be extremely minimal. Certainly appears not enough to have any effect on hormone levels within the body anyhow so if you're eating it in moderation I believe it poses no risk.

Patrick Baboumian breaks it down in a video on his youtube channel, and basically states that it is a complete non-issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFijCIoq8E (skip to 4:27)

Then look at the animal estrogens in dairy

chelseasawyer87565
Finch

#6 Postby chelseasawyer87565 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 pm

I have very sensitive allergic skin and the Made from Earth Pure Aloe Treatment is in my opinion excellent it is not greasy and soothes the skin initially taking away the itch, a little goes a long way and worth paying a bit extra for a cream that works. This is also steroid free so you can use on the face and on a daily basis.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”