Xylitol

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

thecelticbatman
Rabbit

Xylitol

#1 Postby thecelticbatman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi. I only recently found out about xylitol's supposed dental health benefits. I stopped off at the health food shop yesterday & picked up some xylitol gum, mints & granules to try after meals. So far results are positive. I read, though, that the insulin response caused in non-primate animals can be so severe as to lead to death if not treated. It sounds as though dogs in particular have sadly been the victims here :-( It's reported as being safe for humans though. Low gi index, slow release. Can have laxative effect if eat too much.

So far I've found: Teeth feel squeaky clean after use, & there's no strange after taste. Too good to be true?

Anyone tried this?
The storm won't last long so hold on.

thecelticbatman
Rabbit

Re: Xylitol

#2 Postby thecelticbatman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:39 am

I'm just having half a spoon of the granules after main meals now. The chewing gum and mints are just too expensive

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#3 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Yeah it does seems okay, and easy in the sense that you just use the same amount as you would normally use for sugar.

Personally I prefer stevia as the one I use is organic ~ I had trouble finding an organic xylitol but I'm sure they're out somewhere ?!

thecelticbatman
Rabbit

#4 Postby thecelticbatman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:25 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Yeah it does seems okay, and easy in the sense that you just use the same amount as you would normally use for sugar.

Personally I prefer stevia as the one I use is organic ~ I had trouble finding an organic xylitol but I'm sure they're out somewhere ?!

Good point.
The make I've got at the minute says 'made from natural sustainable plant sources'.
I'll have a look for an organic version next time I'm in the health food shop.
Cheers :-)

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”