Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Flax seeds
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 am 
Gorilla

Kathryn wrote:
_raVen_ wrote:
Dr. Fuhrman recommends 1 TB ground flax seeds; I think 2 would be fine, but 2 TB whole may be a bit much:
Use 1 TB whole seeds, if you want 2 TB ground; Use 1 heaping 1/2 TB whole seeds, if you want 1 TB ground.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Use 1 1/2 TBSP whole to get 1 TBSP ground? The whole seeds don't pack down as much as the ground 'meal,' so they would take up more space.

You would think so! But, if you grind 1 TB of whole seeds, it comes to about 2 TB ground flax.
According to Dr.F. one shouldn't take too much flax. (I asked him because I actually wanted to increase my flax intake because I was enjoying the taste atop my smoothies). I was taking too much, he told me. So I had to cut back to 1 TB ground, which is a heaping 1/2 TB whole.
Like I wrote, though, if you get a bit more than that, it's not really that bad; I just prefer to be correct and very specific about what I take and what is recommended.

E.T.A:So you can probably continue taking 1 1/2 TB whole, if you want! I don't want to tell you what to do :)

But if you want to, t ry it :) This was discussed with Dr. F. several months ago, actually.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:04 am 
Rabbit

_raven_ - my grays have been creeping up on me for a long time actually, it's nothing new But I am seeing more lately. I'm 37 so I expect to see a few I guess. It's nothing some coloring won't take care of, but that's not my ideal. I have been making a point to drink at least 2 glasses of water each day, the past several days. I am going to the bathroom more! lol I guess the other benefits will come with time!

Anyway, I don't know if my diet before going vegan helped the grays move in. I was not conscienscious enough about getting the proper nutrition - although I certainly wasn't terrible about it either. But I'm sure I was low on some essential nutrients. I hope I am correcting that now with the flax as well as bumping up my fruit and veggie intake, and supplementing, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:40 pm 
Manatee

I always wondered why it said to use GROUND flax seed all the time. I figured it was because it's more versatile (put in smoothie, etc). I don't have a coffee grinder (I don't drink coffee) and so I've just been eating the whole seeds. Is that bad? Would I get more benefit from grinding first? I like the taste. Should I go buy a coffee grinder now? Sometimes I eat them plain, grinding them with my teeth. Is that not adequate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 pm 
Rabbit

Evan, from what I've learned, grinding the flax seeds is what makes the EFA-rich oils available to the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:46 am 
Elephant

Evan wrote:
I always wondered why it said to use GROUND flax seed all the time. I figured it was because it's more versatile (put in smoothie, etc). I don't have a coffee grinder (I don't drink coffee) and so I've just been eating the whole seeds. Is that bad? Would I get more benefit from grinding first? I like the taste. Should I go buy a coffee grinder now? Sometimes I eat them plain, grinding them with my teeth. Is that not adequate?

I think grinding them with your teeth would work well, though not as well as ground. Anything that breaks up the seed and exposes the inner part, and makes it small enough to digest makes the seeds more assimilable. (The problem with whole seeds is when people don't chew enough, and they come out pretty much the same way they go in, the way sesame seeds can).

You can also grind flax in a blender (especially if you have a blender with a small jar attachement, or one that can hold a small Mason or Ball jar).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:45 pm 
Manatee

I will try it in my chopper base for my hand blender (best kitchen gadget EVER) Thanks for the thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:49 pm 
Manatee

Hey Everyone,
I didn't want to do it but I went ahead and bought a coffee grinder and that thing rocks! I used it on the flax seed and it's great but I also used it on oatmeal to make a skin mask and I ground up nuts in it for a less-obtrusive nutty topping. Using my coffee grinder is fun!!! but I am not going to start drinking coffee now, no sir or ma'am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:01 pm 
Stegosaurus

Kathryn wrote:
I think grinding them with your teeth would work well, though not as well as ground. Anything that breaks up the seed and exposes the inner part, and makes it small enough to digest makes the seeds more assimilable.

I read that for you to chew flax seeds to the point where the nutrients are as bio-available as ground up seeds, you'd need to chew eat bite of food 100 times, do it's definitley not as good of an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:00 pm 
Elephant

Odidnetne wrote:
I read that for you to chew flax seeds to the point where the nutrients are as bio-available as ground up seeds, you'd need to chew eat bite of food 100 times, do it's definitely not as good of an option.

Interesting. It would be almost impossible to 'teeth-grind' the seeds as fine as meal, so it makes sense. But I wonder how much of a difference it makes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

Kathryn wrote:
Odidnetne wrote:
I read that for you to chew flax seeds to the point where the nutrients are as bio-available as ground up seeds, you'd need to chew eat bite of food 100 times, do it's definitely not as good of an option.

Interesting. It would be almost impossible to 'teeth-grind' the seeds as fine as meal, so it makes sense. But I wonder how much of a difference it makes?

Teeth grinding? Not enough to prevent me from getting a device to grind them for me.