Spirulina and Chlorella

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Vegetariansoul
Rabbit

Spirulina and Chlorella

#1 Postby Vegetariansoul » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:57 pm

I prefer to find them as economically as possible, so indivual will probably be the cheapest.

I currently use Perfect Food, but I would like to increase the Spirulina and Chlorella bigtime!

Any suggestions? Where do you get your green and/or what brands do you trust?

Pe@ce,
Michael
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."-Albert Einstein

http://www.myspace.com/vegetariansoul

veganpotter

cheap

#2 Postby veganpotter » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:08 am

I don't remember who harvests my spirulina because I put it in a tupperware and threw away everything else but I bought the cheapest 100%powder that I could find on ebay for its weight and now that I've accepted the terrible taste I love the fact that I bought 1kilo of it.

Kathryn
Elephant

#3 Postby Kathryn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:00 am

I get ChlorEssence tabs at www.veganessentials.com . Just plain chlorella compressed into a tablet (it breaks up really quickly). I can't stand much chlorella or spriulina 'as-is.'

_raVen_
Gorilla

#4 Postby _raVen_ » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I'm not much into those algae, because I think fresh greens are best: I make Green Smoothies daily and think they are best (my third post down describes them).
BUT :) Since I love to try everything, I do like THIS brand from where I get my organic chia seeds (which are practically impossible to find!). I like it a lot. I use it when I'm on the run and don't have time for a smoothie. The taste is very mild as well; tastes very fresh.

Kathryn
Elephant

#5 Postby Kathryn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:36 pm

raVen: have you tried the Cocochia bars (made with organic chia)? They are mighty yummy!

_raVen_
Gorilla

#6 Postby _raVen_ » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:18 am

Kat, no, I haven't, I thought about it, though! It's good to have a recommendation. I cant tell what it is...is it a bar or a trailmix-kinda thingy?

So do you eat chias??! That's so great, if you do. On my training journal, I have some links to info about them, if you don't. I'm really glad I've added them to my diet; they're awesome.
I have found much of the info about them accurate. :D

I've recently tried Ruth's MACA Power Bars. I'm not into bars, but I bought them for a friend and, of course, had to get a taste of some :). They're not raw, but good.
Also love the Maca on that site by MACA POWER, particularly the gelatinized. It's *intense.* Noticeable difference from regular raw; I bought the powder. The taste isn't as good (it's deeper and toasty) as the regular, but I happen to like the flavor of maca, so it's still good to me.
Liked the Incan Berries as well; much better than Gojis, anyway.

My normal dosage for regular raw was 1 TB in order to notice any benefits; but for the gelatinized, I use 1 tsp and it exceeds the noticeable benefits of the 1 TB regular! So, definitely worth it, in my opinion.
What brand have you tried? What benefits have you noticed?

Kathryn
Elephant

#7 Postby Kathryn » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm

_raVen_ wrote:[ b]Kat[/b], no, I haven't, I thought about it, though! It's good to have a recommendation. I cant tell what it is...is it a bar or a trailmix-kinda thingy?

I guess on that site, they are only the chia/coconut snack mix (I haven't tried that), but on other sites, like www.rawveganbooks.com , you can get the bars. They are yummy!

I haven't used much chia, but I'm interested in it.

For maca, I've used some I got through www.eatraw.com , but mostly I use Maca Extreme from www.rawfood.com . I can't really notice the flavor because I always mix it in a smoothie.

Have you ever tried mesquite powder? It tastes kind of faintly caramel (good to add to a chocolate-based smoothie). Don't know quite what it does, but it's got some good minerals and vitamins in (and I'm up for mixing up my 'superfoods').

michael
Rabbit

#8 Postby michael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:32 am

I purchase loose chlorella in one kilogram containers from iherb.com:

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetai ... =JRW-17005

Wonderful product--I use it daily with OJ.

tofuPUNK
Rabbit

#9 Postby tofuPUNK » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:10 pm

I use Greens Protein 8 in 1 Powder by Olympian Labs. (I wonder how closely this compares to vega?)

veganpotter

vega

#10 Postby veganpotter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:55 am

Nothing can ever be compared to vega

tofuPUNK
Rabbit

#11 Postby tofuPUNK » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Potter...

I hope Brendan keeps your cupboards well stocked for all the free publicity he gets from you. :wink:

veganpotter

VEGA

#12 Postby veganpotter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:38 pm

We'll see...hopefully we'll organize some big public vega eating extraviganza so I can demo my skills and share the wonderful product with the world

Hero
Elephant

Re: vega

#13 Postby Hero » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:09 pm

veganpotter wrote:Nothing can ever be compared to vega

I agree. the stuff is so good for you

veganpotter

spirulina

#14 Postby veganpotter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:27 am

Now if only Brendan can figure out a way to use spirulina as a base instead of dates...surely it would taste terrible but each bar would probably add atleast 20lbs to your bench max

CollegeB
Elephant

#15 Postby CollegeB » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:04 am

I'd pay for that so fast.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”