Any tips on gaining weight on a healthy, whole-plant based diet?

agal

I've been training pretty intensely for 6 about months now (4-5 days strength training, 2 days cardio), starting shortly after I switched from a vegetarianism to veganism. I also avoid processed foods as much as possible, including oil and bread. In the first 3-4 months I was losing fat and gaining muscle very quickly as part of an intentional 'cutting' phase. When my body fat percentage dropped to about 10%, I began to gradually increase my calories. However, I'm finding that it takes more and more food to maintain my current weight, not to mention any kind of weight gain. I really don't want to give up running, and I certainly don't want to start eating junk.

I'm currently at about 3000 cal per day, and my original BMR (calculated based on my previous BFP) was around 1900 cal.

Any ideas, other than eating peanut butter with a spoon?

That's not out of the norm. As your lean body mass increases, the amount of calories it takes to maintain it increases. Also, your training in general will increase your metabolism, which will increase your maintenance calories. ...and, if your normal daily activity have changed, or if you're sleeping less...this could also contribute to higher maintenance calories. (often referred to as TDEE...BMR is really your expenditure in a coma, which is less practical than TDEE)

I work an office job, but my TDEE is around 3400 per day (at 210 lbs) training 5 times a week, so at 3400 kcal/day, I literally gain or lose nothing. It is a lot of food to put down if you're eating non processed carbs and fats. I've found eating more frequently and eating a lot after weight training (when your metabolism is cranked up) makes it easier to manage. Also, different people's digestive systems "burn through" certain foods better than others, so you'll need to experiment for yourself.

Hey, thanks for replying

My TDEE was supposedly 2100-2200 when I started working out (counting in the exercise). Anyway, I am sleeping a lot less recently thanks to my 7.5 months-old daughter I knew that under-sleeping effects muscle synthesis, but it never occurred to me that it also changes caloric expenditure. That may explain a lot!

I'm already eating 6 times a day, guess I will just have to add some peanut butter/tahini to each of them and try not to throw up by the end of the day...