Monosodium Gluatmate--Hazards

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Patrick
Rabbit

Monosodium Gluatmate--Hazards

#1 Postby Patrick » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:26 am

Hello fellow vegetarians and vegans.

I just want to bring up the issue pertaining to this BS additive. I read a lot of your posts and find that all of us (or the vast majority) mean well and are concerened with our health/food industry.
In particular, it appears that no matter what we do, in some shape or form there are ways that crap like this gets added into our foods. Please take a look at this website because I read that a lot of you take TVP, and this additivve is in TVP to some extent or another.

http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/msg.html

Take Care.
Patrick

Hero
Elephant

#2 Postby Hero » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:07 pm

wow!

thankyou so much for this. I was curious as to exactly what MSG was and now I know.

no more top ramen for me

CollegeB
Elephant

#3 Postby CollegeB » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:00 pm

Man I'm really glad I dont eat much brand name food, nor eat out much. Though I was looking at some canned ethnic food yesterday, MSG in in alot of that stuff.

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#4 Postby Odidnetne » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Yeah, I don't really eat anything on that list either.

CollegeB
Elephant

#5 Postby CollegeB » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:36 pm

Also I looked in my tvp and the only ingredient is defatted soy flour...where is the MSG?

Patrick
Rabbit

#6 Postby Patrick » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:08 am

CollegeB wrote:Man I'm really glad I dont eat much brand name food, nor eat out much. Though I was looking at some canned ethnic food yesterday, MSG in in alot of that stuff.

Good morning CollegeB,

this may be something you and most likely a lot of other people would care to read.

Regards,

Patrick

http://www.newstarget.com/monosodium_glutamate.html

Patrick
Rabbit

#7 Postby Patrick » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:22 am

CollegeB wrote:Also I looked in my tvp and the only ingredient is defatted soy flour...where is the MSG?

College B,

oops I used the wrong quote

Patrick

veganpotter

MSG

#8 Postby veganpotter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:25 am

I think its like cigarettes...some people smoke a ton and never get cancer while some smoke a few and get cancer. My great grandmother lived to be 97 and surely MSG was in nearly every meal she ate...in the Philippines they put it in everything...I never use it but I don't see it killing you if you eat it when you go out one meal every two weeks or so

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

Re: MSG

#9 Postby Odidnetne » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:22 pm

veganpotter wrote:I think its like cigarettes...some people smoke a ton and never get cancer while some smoke a few and get cancer. My great grandmother lived to be 97 and surely MSG was in nearly every meal she ate...in the Philippines they put it in everything...I never use it but I don't see it killing you if you eat it when you go out one meal every two weeks or so

That's the problem though, I'm sure there are people who eat it 2 - 3 meals a day, and that's why they have such a hard time eating fresh fruits and giving up processed stuff.

andesuma
Gorilla

#10 Postby andesuma » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:03 pm

www.truthinlabeling.org

is an excellent website on MSG and the different forms it comes in,
when added to processed food(it's in nearly ALL vegan processed foods/
veggie burgers usually in the form of autolyzed yeast extract, and hydolyzed vegetable protein).

also, you could do a search on Organic Consumers(.org) and find
a plethora of articles and studies on the subject.

:)

Kathryn
Elephant

#11 Postby Kathryn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:17 pm

veganpotter wrote:I think its like cigarettes...some people smoke a ton and never get cancer while some smoke a few and get cancer.
I was just reading about how the body, in its search for homeostasis, can adapt to many unnatural situations, and the lungs of smokers adapting to cigarette smoke was one example. Maybe that's one reason second-hand smoke is more dangerous...because non-smokers' lungs haven't adapted.

veganpotter

MSG

#12 Postby veganpotter » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm

Who knows??? I say most people here keep a pretty clean diet so a LITTLE(or alot on rare occations) msg wouldn't hurt anyone...just like getting second hand smoke once a month

Patrick
Rabbit

#13 Postby Patrick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:55 am

veganpotter wrote:Who knows??? I say most people here keep a pretty clean diet so a LITTLE(or alot on rare occations) msg wouldn't hurt anyone...just like getting second hand smoke once a month

Hello Veganpotter,

I agree to a certain extent. Certainly we can't drive ourselves crazy. Nonetheless, it's better to know what type of crap this really is. I'd much rather have none than a littlke bit once a month. But as you say, all of us here try to keep a clean as possible diet.
I just wish this junk wasn't in our meals.

Wish you a good one.

Patrick

veganpotter

junk

#14 Postby veganpotter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:26 pm

I definately think you should avoid it at all costs but if you have it once it won't kill you. Hell living in Mexico city is like smoking two packs of cigarrettes a day...would it hurt you anymore if you smoked one every day or would you be healthier if you never smoked any...probably not

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”