What Vegan Friendly Supplement do you take?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

hardline
Finch

What Vegan Friendly Supplement do you take?

#1 Postby hardline » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:42 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, but I'm doing a study on supplementation with vegans for a project and research for school. Maybe everyone can help me out.

What vegan friendly supplements do you take or recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Kathryn
Elephant

#2 Postby Kathryn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:16 am

There are a variety of good vegan supplements.
Dr. Furhman's "Gentle Care" is a multi-vitamin designed for a vegan diet (check it out at www.drfuhrman.com ).

www.veganessentials.com carries a variety of vegan supplements.

In addition to what one usually considers as supplements (pills or liquids that contain a combination of isolated vitamiins and minerals), there are also whole-foods based supplements (sometimes refered to as "superfoods.") They are what I prefer, and include green supplements (like Vitamineral Green, which you can check out at Vegan Essentials), açai, maca, goji berries, etc.

One important vegan supplement is B-12. I prefer the Pure Advantage B-12 spray that VE sells, both for convenience, and because it contains methylcobalamin (rather than the cyanacobalamin that is the form of B-12 one usually finds in supplements) which is more easily/directly assimilated by the body.

CollegeB
Elephant

#3 Postby CollegeB » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:12 am

Protein powders (rice, hemp, soy, and vegetable) Glucosamine, multi vitamin. Thats it at the moment.

Kathryn
Elephant

#4 Postby Kathryn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:19 pm

CollegeB wrote: Glucosamine

That's specifically vegan glucosamine, since any glucosamine that is not labeled vegan is from shellfish.

CollegeB
Elephant

#5 Postby CollegeB » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Thanks Kathryn. I thought most glucosamine was from corn. I'll have to hit up veganessentials.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”