Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegetable Question/advice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:19 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:41 am
Posts: 61
Location: California
I don't really eat vegetables anymore for a few reasons, but I want to start eating more again. What veggies should I start eating to start off and what vegetables have the most nutrition?

It's kinda hard to buy a lot of veggies, because they are expensive. Also we have one medium size fridge and 5 people in the house. So there is not a lot of room in the frigde.

So what I am basically looking for is, a few veggies with the most nutrition. I'll eventually add more though. This is just a start.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:09 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 2783
I think brocoli and green peas. maybe buy some frozen veggie blends which have brocoli, califlour, carrots, and squash...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:42 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Little Beirut, Cascadia
Think Green & Leafy: like Kale, Spinach, etc. As for price, something is almost always on sale.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:13 pm 
Collard Greens and kale or normally pretty cheap...if organic they are some of the cheaper greens but if not organic they are dirt cheap


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:26 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: Illinois
Collard greens make a nice wrap.

Marinate some sliced onion and mushrooms in some soy sauce (Nama Shoyu is best), then drain and wrap them in collard leaves along with some avocado, grated carrots, slices cucumber. Very yummy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:35 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:40 pm
Posts: 1585
Location: Arlington Heights/Decatur, IL
Yea seriously, kale, spinach and brocolli. I like peas and green beans as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:57 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
I fully agree! LEAFY & GREEN the 2 words you need look for.

I eat very little "veggies" nowadays. I'm not sure if we were meant to be root eaters anyway....

I seem to gain FAT whenever I start eating root veggies, like carrots and potatoes.

_________________
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:45 pm 
Kathryn wrote:
Collard greens make a nice wrap.

Marinate some sliced onion and mushrooms in some soy sauce (Nama Shoyu is best), then drain and wrap them in collard leaves along with some avocado, grated carrots, slices cucumber. Very yummy!


You must without a doubt add ginger to that...my roomate made me raw sushi with my sprouted quinoa which had all those things and ginger


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:21 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Posts: 3899
Location: Austin, TX
Raw Ambition wrote:
I seem to gain FAT whenever I start eating root veggies, like carrots and potatoes.


Farmers feed their pigs cooked potatoes because they gain fat at a ridiculously more rapid rate than raw potatoes.

I would just say leafy greens like everyone else. Not even for the nutrition, but you feel good eating them and they probably digest easier than any other vegetable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:25 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 pm
Posts: 63
Raw Ambition wrote:
I fully agree! LEAFY & GREEN the 2 words you need look for.

I eat very little "veggies" nowadays. I'm not sure if we were meant to be root eaters anyway....

I seem to gain FAT whenever I start eating root veggies, like carrots and potatoes.


potatoes makes sense but carrots?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:20 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: Illinois
GGreen wrote:
potatoes makes sense but carrots?


Maybe because they are high glycemic?

Also, root veggies are some of the most hybridized foods around, to create versions that are much sweeter than their wild counterparts. Some nutritionists recommend avoiding them or at least severely limiting them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 pm 
I don't think all high glycemic foods are bad...its just that you've gotta know how your body reacts to them and consume them accordingly. If I'm at home and not doing anything I won't eat more than one banana after 8pm...but if I'm stuck in the studio at 3am and need a boost I'll eat a banana and a handful of raisins to burn the midnight oil...if I did that at home I'd feel fine but I normally feel pretty lousy on my morning bike ride after eating alot of high glycemic foods the night before...but thats just me and I know a vegan cyclist that much better than I am and she eats icecream all the time before she goes to bed...she'd probably be better off if she didn't but its working anyway


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:04 pm 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:41 pm
Posts: 469
veganpotter wrote:
I don't think all high glycemic foods are bad...its just that you've gotta know how your body reacts to them and consume them accordingly. If I'm at home and not doing anything I won't eat more than one banana after 8pm...but if I'm stuck in the studio at 3am and need a boost I'll eat a banana and a handful of raisins to burn the midnight oil...if I did that at home I'd feel fine but I normally feel pretty lousy on my morning bike ride after eating alot of high glycemic foods the night before...but thats just me and I know a vegan cyclist that much better than I am and she eats icecream all the time before she goes to bed...she'd probably be better off if she didn't but its working anyway


Sorry if you were responding to my post. I deleetd it and made own thread since it was a tangent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:21 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1076
Location: Norfolk, VA
[quote="OdidnetneFarmers feed their pigs cooked potatoes because they gain fat at a ridiculously more rapid rate than raw potatoes.

I would just say leafy greens like everyone else. Not even for the nutrition, but you feel good eating them and they probably digest easier than any other vegetable.[/quote]

Thats interesting to know. Dr. McDougall, one of the vegan Dr's who suggests a lowfat vegan diet for weight loss is very gung ho potatoes. His weight loss plan is based more on starches whereas joel fuhrmans is based on veggies.

_________________
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group