Anyone know anything about Hypothyroidism?

veganbarbie

Im having a slight health scare concerning my thyroid. Thanks to soy, my thyroid became underactive, so I tried correcting it with diet. (Less soy, and other bad for my thyroid veggies like cabbage, and brocolli, taking kelp, eating coconut and adding more salt) Im still suffering from symptoms of hypothyroisim (Lack of sexual desire, hair loss, weight gain, depression, constipation, and chills). Now, this has progressed to me having trouble swallowing, and that could (COULD) be a goiter. I dont want to take drugs, I dont want sugery, I want to seek alternative medicine, but Im not sure how to go about doing that. Where would I go? Does the PCRM treat people? (I really am not sure) Or is the answer simpy going to a healthfood store, spilling my guts and them giving me an herb that will help? I need advice.

HELP!!

(Usually with a goiter, the thyroid is removed and the patient is on drugs for life, drugs that have been tested on animals)

Veganbarbie,

How do you know the culprit is soy?

Those foods -- cabbages, etc. -- are not bad foods, but highly nutritious and will not cause you to have thyroid problems; if you have a thyroid problem, you would be advised to limit them.

I would go to the doctor for a concrete diagnosis instead of wondering and worrying about what it could be. If there appears to be a thyroid problem, then worry about finding treatment. It may not be a thyroid issue at all.

I will link some things for you to read and a site page with various resources below.

I think there is valuable information HERE you should read from a doctor who advocates a plant-based diet.

And Dr. Fuhrman has a few words on soy and hypothyroidism you should read.

(If you want more information from Dr. Fuhrman, let me know and I'll do a search for you).

You can also ask local hospitals if they offer alternative medicine.

You can look through THESE links for alternative med info/practitioners; if some don't work, then do a search for them on Google or other search engine.

Personally, I would not hesitate to take advantage of Dr. Fuhrman's phone consultations since I don't live in NY; however, if I did, he'd be my first choice of who to trust as my primary physician.

Well, thyroid issues runs in my family, and for 6 months (my first 6 months being vegan) i blasted my system with soy, day in and day out, soy milk, soy ice cream, soy cheeses, so fake meat.. then I heard about what it can do, and stopped. NOW im having all of these issues.. I will check out your links. Thanks so much.

If you are truly hypothyroid it is very dangerous. Have your levels taken to see where you are. Take the meds if you are truly hypothyroid (the test will tell). Adjust your diet accordingly and keep having your levels taken. I have heard occassionally person able to come off meds, but very rare and only in raw circles. The alternative to meds could be life threatening.

Well, usually b4 any Dr. would give me meds they would give me a toxic "cotail" to totally destroy my thyroid (so they could control the amout of hormones i would be getting bc they wouldnt know how much my thyroid was/wasnt producing at any given time if it is still working even in the slightest.) Im scared about that and that is why I want to seek alternative medicine.

(Usually with a goiter, the thyroid is removed and the patient is on drugs for life, drugs that have been tested on animals)

Not always. I have goiter, and I take no medications, nor do I need surgery. But, obviously, every case is different. I would get your hormone levels checked by a doctor to see if you really do have an issue with your thyroid before starting to treat it in any way.