Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coca Cola Zero
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:43 pm 
Rabbit

Advertised as having zero sugar and zero calories.

I saw the product at the store and I was like how can that be and it turns out my skepticism was correct. Such false advertising and most people buy it thinking it is true.

It does have zero sugar, but not calories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Zero

Nothing is better than water.

Post subject: laws
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:20 pm 
The FDA lets companies call things fat free or calorie free if they have very little calories...same goes for alcohol free beer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:16 pm 
Rabbit

i would prefer sugar instead of aspartame, which they use. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:44 pm 
Manatee

And diet soda is really bad for your teeth, it is the acidity of soda not the sugar that eats the enamel as I understand it.

ADD ME AS A MYSPACE FRIEND!
http://www.myspace.com/madeinoregon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 pm 
Elephant

Diet soda also raises the weight that your body wants to be at naturally. Cant remember what it's called.

I just dont drink pop unless i have a crazy sugar craving which is hopefully only a few times a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:43 pm 
Manatee

You mean your "set point". How could pop do that?

It is horrid stuff no doubt, leeches phosphorus from bones, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 pm 
Elephant

It's the aspartame. It raises the set point.

In other words, if you drink regular pop you get fat because of the calories but if you drink diet you get fat because of the raised set point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:21 pm 
Stegosaurus

I clean my toilet with the soda my family buys (I'm not kidding).

Scrubbing bubbles also cleans toilets.

I don't drink things that clean toilets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 am 
Rabbit

Asparatame in sodas actually stimulates appetite. Many nutritional researchers are saying that there is as much or greater link with obesity and consumption of asparatame as there is with sugar. In Japan, artificial sweeteners are not allowed in beverages so Coke manufactures them with stevia instead--a natural sugar substitute from a Paraguayan plant species that the FDA has attempted to ban from the U.S. working on behalf of the sugar lobby. The FDA even attempted to burn all books written about stevia years ago, unbelievable as that may sound. To this day, stevia can not be sold under the heading of "sweetener".

That having been said, I don't drink sodas anyway as they are a completely useless non-nutritive food, consisting of artificial colors and flavorings, with some containing phosphate. Malted battery acid? No thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:47 am 
Elephant

michael wrote:

That having been said, I don't drink sodas anyway as they are a completely useless non-nutritive food, consisting of artificial colors and flavorings, with some containing phosphate. Malted battery acid? No thanks...

I agree. With the exception of an occasional health-food-store soda, I avoid them.

The only slightly beneficial aspect of sodas is hydration, but plain water does it better that this chemical stew!

Also, high fructose corn sweetener is used in a lot of non-diet sodas, and it's something that should be avoided (it doesn't signal the body that you are consuming calories, and also stimulates the appetite).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:38 pm 
Rabbit

Quote:
Also, high fructose corn sweetener is used in a lot of non-diet sodas, and it's something that should be avoided

Agreed. I steer completely away from this stuff and see to it that my 5 year old has minimal exposure to HFCS. If the products I buy are not sweetened with xylitol, stevia, agave nectar or fructo-oligosaccharides I basically leave it be. I can handle a few grams of table sugar, malted barley syrup, etc. found in things like Health Valley cereals, bars and the like, but that's about it.

What really amazes me is how many people think that Splenda is natural and what a great alternative to Nutrasweet it is. Sort of the way NS supplanted saccharine for similar reasons, I suppose.

Post subject: stevia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:25 pm 
I'm waiting for stevia sodas...not that I'll ever drink them but I'd try. I like flat cola and root beer but have only had one soda in a year(at proper eats in Portland...and it was organic and handmade)...but if they got rid of the high fructose corn syrup(alot of expensive companies have done this) and used stevia while lowering the carbonation I'd probably drink soda more often(maybe one or two a week)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:22 pm 
Rabbit

One gains weight from drinking all sodas. Why? what is soda anyway? it's water, and a whole bunch of acids.

When there is an excessive amount of acid in our body, what it does is store it in fat cells until it can eliminate the toxins.

You want to lose weight? substitute acid forming foods with alkaline forming foods; not all mind you, you don't want to create an inbalance in the opposite direction.

Sounds like a valid theory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm 
Manatee

pelicanAndrew wrote:
It's the aspartame. It raises the set point.

In other words, if you drink regular pop you get fat because of the calories but if you drink diet you get fat because of the raised set point.
Where did you read this? Is there a study published somewhere? That's wild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:09 pm 
Elephant

I'm a member at a trombone forum as well and it was posted there. I'll look for it.