Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bacteria - Should I Worry?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:52 pm 
Manatee

Since going vegan I am finding myself leaving a lot of stuff soaking, eating all kinds of things that used to go in the garbage disposal, and for convience at work using the same two dishes for eating/soaking/eating/soaking each day.

I have been going without washing the dishes for as much as a week, I am sure bacteria must be growing on them, anyone have any opinions about if that is bad? I have noticed zero ill effects.

Also, does anyone have an opinion about if eating organic fruits and vegitables that are unwashed is safe, and if it really is better for you due to intestinal flora and V-B12?

ADD ME AS A MYSPACE FRIEND!
http://www.myspace.com/madeinoregon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 pm 
Elephant

I do not wash organic fruits, but stuff that has been in the dirt such as carrots I have been scrubbing, but i do not peel them. I eat out the same dishes all the time, but I was them only because I dont like all the junk that starts to stick on them. But i dont use hot water or soap just a sponge and some cold water so I'm not really killing any harmful bacteria. I have not ever had a problem, and i've been doing this for a few years now. My cook and storageware easily become dishes when im in no mood to clean off my bowl. best wishes with your unwashing isaac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:49 am 
Elephant

Unless you pick them directly from your garden, I would wash organic fruits and veggies. Who knows who has handled them between picking and display in the stores or at the farmers market (or sneezed on them, or touched them after picking their nose or using the bathroom without washing their hands).

And please, at least rinse your dishes off in hot water. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 pm 
Elephant

ehhh being exposed to all that bacteria only makes you healthier...builds up resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:35 pm 
Rabbit

The truth is, no matter what you do, you cannot avoid bacteria. It's everywhere. You WILL come across it, eventually no matter how sterile you.

It is also my opinion that people who are overly hygenic, are at risk. Having not built up any tolerance to the common bacteria, they will succumb much harder when they DO in fact come down with a "bug".

So I rarely wash anything.. and have not had any problems. It also helps when you avoid those foods that tend to rot rather quickly.. meat, dairy, eggs, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:30 pm 
Rabbit

there are more bacteria in your body then cells. (I read that when i was reserching intestinal disbiosis or dysbiosis) most of them wont hurt you. maybe every few ays give it a good clean as it's not the fact that there are bacteria there it's HOW MUCH bacteris are there. as long as you keep the lag phase down you will be right.

Well thats one whack-job way of putting it.