Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: quinoa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:08 pm 
Rabbit

veganpotter wrote:
I had raw quinoa with excess guspacho and it was incredible...highly reccommended

Thanks, veganpotter!! I looked up a great gaspacho recipe and posted it on my blog. I am going to try your suggestion with quinoa. I am finding out that quinoa takes on the best flavor of peppers, cinnimon and tomatoes, not all together thou LOL!! So I am looking forward to trying this recipe - I will let you know what i think. :D Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:14 pm 
Rabbit

pelicanAndrew wrote:
Another kick butt way to make quinoa would be just how you make oatmeal. A little cinnamon, raisins, almonds(sprouted), and soy/rice/almond milk and you're good to go.

My mom also just eats quinoa like cereal. Put on some fresh fruit and soy milk. Really quick meal if you make it the night before(like i do).

Yet another more entree version of quinoa that i love is just putting some bruschetta or dried tomato on top. It's also very good with zuccini and olive oil and bruschetta.

pelicanAndrew, you are awesome!!! Thank you so much for replying. I made the best quinoa for breakfast ever today thanks to you!!! And your mom!! My husband really liked the quinoa better than oatmeal!! We both did actually!! I made extra to try it cold tomorrow morning. And found a great recipe on bruschetta. I am going to the grocer's today and picking up some extra stuff. I'll let you know how I make out with the new recipe. And I'll pick up some zuccini too!! Thanks again, my friend.

Last edited by Chickpea on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:22 pm 
Rabbit

9nines wrote:
If you are facing a situation of medications or changing your cholesterol form diet, please go to this message forum for help.

Dr. McDougall’s (MD, internal medicine) specialty is your exact situation. Posters on that forum are very knowledgeable and many were in your same situations. Plus he daily reads the forum and will respond, if he can add advice.

Sorry to repeat a link (I put it in another post for you) but your situation is tailor made for his help:

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/index.html

Let the forum know your situation (facing medication) and you will get much good advice in short order, from many people that were and are, in your exact situation.

Thanks again, 9nines!! I have tagged this site and I will look at it more closely. I am not sure if I mentioned it to you but I will be going back in 2 months for more lab work. The doctor is concerned and wants to put me on meds but has agreed to let me work this out through diet and exercise. And I am taking a closer look at everything I eat. I know I was bad in 2 meals out of 6 but that is what I am trying to correct. McDougall site looks awesome and I am not surprise that many my age are facing the same cholestrol problems if they live in the US. I will keep posting my changes in my blog to journal the progress. Thank you so much again, my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:21 pm 
I like quinoa with cinnamon...I often just put in quinoa what I would put in my couscous minus the onions...I can't eat too many raw onions unless they are lousy onions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:35 am 
Elephant

Chickpea wrote:
... most spreads are made with oils. Not good for me right now, I think.

If you have a food processor, you can make your own spreads and control the amount of oil. I throw some red onion and garlic in, dice it up, add a drained and rinsed can of garbanzos, some seasoning (salt, sometimes poultry seasoning and nutritional yeast) and process it up. No oil added.

Also, black beans with onion, garlic and tomato (try dried tomatoes, soaked for an hour) with mexican spices is a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 pm 
Rabbit

Hi there Chickpea. I am fairly new here also. I noticed you are from So. Fl. I must be a little bit north of you. I am vegetarian and making the transition to vegan now. I haven't had my cholesterol checked in awhile and I know if it is high it will drop down. I think maybe I should get it checked now just to know how much of an improvement I am making.

I would add more fruits and green veggies. The raw foods will help tremendously. I try to stay away from any processed foods. Actually I have read that some oils such as olive oil, flax seed etc... are good at lowering y our LDL levels.

Glad you are here. :)