I Love My Vega!

Ravi

I just stopped by Super Supplements in Seattle and was pleasantly surprised to see Vega in stock and on-sale! I picked up a few tubs of the meal replacement powder and have been an addict for the past week.

I take 2 full servings a day...one in the morning (2 scoops blended with ice and soy mile) and one in the evening after my weight session (2 scoops and water shaken up).

What I love about it:

1. it dissovles well in a shaker...no blender needed, not lumpy

2. doesn't sit in your gut and feel heavy, seems to digest quickly

3. made with whole food, lots of raw stuff and micronutrients

What could be better:

1. taste is OK. I am getting used to it now, but I wouldn't call it tasty

2. powder tends to settle to the bottom of glass unless you drink it quickly.

3. cost....the stuff isn't cheap...but the ingredients are super high quality so I can't complain too much!

Ravi

I just noticed that the "plain" flavor Vega has 17 servings per container, while the chocolate and berry each have 15 servings (for the same amount of protein). Not a big difference, but you could save a good amount per serving over the course of a year by buying the plain.

I noticed the ad for "Vega" in the current issue of VegNews and was shocked that nutrition-wise it mentioned that in a serving, it has "as much protein as 4 eggs", "as much calcium as an 8 oz. glass of milk", "as much iron as a 4 oz. steak" and "as much omega-3s as 8 oz. of salmon". I may be off on the portion amounts as I writing this from memory.

Anyway I found it rather insulting that the ad, in its own way appears to legitimize these sources, when, given that the product is vegan and advertised in a vegan magazine, vegan products could have been used to draw comparisons. Readers of the magazine, in other words would not be perplexed had the ad stated that a serving of Vega has "as much calcium as (portion size) almonds, kale or whatever", "as much protein as (portion size) rice, tofu, etc"... Given that Brendan is himself vegan, he should have insisted on this.

Anyway I found it rather insulting that the ad, in its own way appears to legitimize these sources, when, given that the product is vegan and advertised in a vegan magazine, vegan products could have been used to draw comparisons.

I don't find it offensive at all, and see it another way. By showing that one serving of this vegan food has nutrients equivalent to what most people think of as good sources of protein, calcium, etc. it actually shows that Vega is superior to these.

And even we veg*ns live in a society where the nutrient content of meat/dairy is more promoted and thus understandable as a reference than that of kale, etc. (Because of all the standard advertising for meat and dairy, when you say 'X has as much calcium as a glass of milk," it's an easy comparison to understand. If you were to substitute kale for milk, even most vegans would have to think "hmm, how much is that?" or even "Kale has a lot of calcium? I didn't know that!" which could be a distraction from the message. )

When I saw the ad, my first thought was, "hmm, I didn't know it had that much. It's even better than I thought!")

I think the comparisons to animal products also give one an easy retort when somebody says, ""eggs are good sources of protein" ("Yes, but you'd have to eat 4 of them to get the same amount as in one serving of Vega") or if, like me, you have a Chinese medicine doctor who normally recommends that his patients have 2 eggs in the morning to get 'a good source of easily-digestible protein' for healing ("hey, doc, here's an alternative that's even better: a serving, or even half-serving of Vega! Why don't you look into it?")

But it also projects the message that there is a level playing field where dairy calcium, animal product based protein and other nutrients are concerned. It's well known to most posting on this forum that calcium uptake from dairy milk is not the same as it would be from, say, quinoa or chard. Meat protein, as you are aware, is inferior in quality to the still more complete, less sulfur bearing edistin protein found in hemp, which is a primary ingredient in Vega. The omega-3 profile in hemp/flax is also superior to salmon. How could it be otherwise? Salmon store omega-3s as a result of consuming kelp and other plant matter, and naturally to a lesser degree than the actual source (again, for purposes here related to Vega, hemp & flax). The only thing I could see is the heme/non-heme iron thing with meat and plant products, but even then meat contains more iron of the non-heme variety--it isn't as though a steak contains 100% superior grade heme iron. I still say the ad projects the image that animal products set the standard for various nutrients needed to meet human dietary needs.

It's well known to most posting on this forum that calcium uptake from dairy milk is not the same as it would be from, say, quinoa or chard.

What may arguably be well known to most people here is not necessarily common knowledge/belief even in the veg*n community. And who is to say that just vegans pick up VegNews? Their readership probably includes some lacto-ovo vegetarians (since there is nothing on the cover the proclaims it is vegan-oriented) and curious omnis might pick up a copy as well.

I think its a good thing to say its got as much calcium as milk, and all that other stuff. That way when some carni says ohh no way you can get omega 3's from plants, or iron or whatever, we can say well look here this one scoop (of vega) has as much omega 3's and iron as (insert applical animal food) which you eat. You then could point out animal suffering or whatever you wanted to, but the point is the same nutrients peoeple need can be plan derived, which a lot of people dont believe for one reason or another.

I think everyone that eats meat has a mild form of alziemers thats keeps them minimally scenile...just functional enough to eat, crap and go to work. Rationality is not possible for them when it comes to food.

Yes, Kathryn and CollegeB, that is exactly the message we were going for. As vegans we know there are much better plant-based sources of these nutrients than the animal versions shown in the ad, but many don't realize it.

I don't know how many times I've been asked, as a vegan, where do I get my; protein, omega-3, iron, calcium, etc. I imagine many of you get these questions regularly as well. This ad is a simple way to show that properly combined plant-based foods deliver loads of nutrition.

Also, keep in mind that a large number of those who read VegNews are new to veganism / vegetarianism and in fact many are "flexetarians" meaning they eat some animal products on a weekly basis. This ad, we believe, will give them confidents in a plant-based diet and possibly help then take the next step towards adopting one.

I have had several non-vegetarian people tell me that they had no idea that a vegan diet could deliver all those nutrients. Now they are giving it a shot.

Thanks for your support!

Brendan

I don't know how many times I've been asked, as a vegan, where do I get my; protein, omega-3, iron, calcium, etc.

I always give my standard response: "where did the bison, rhino, gorilla, bull, etc. get his?" The level of ignorance among the masses where this is concerned is quite incredible.

Also, keep in mind that a large number of those who read VegNews are new to veganism / vegetarianism and in fact many are "flexetarians" meaning they eat some animal products on a weekly basis.

I wonder if we'll ever see a magazine that is so completely steeped in veganism that it will not forsee a need to "intrepret" and cross over to the animal food world.

Brendan...you've gotta make a raw pizza vega flavor, as well as a sprouted hummus bar...I put hummus on one of your bars and it was awesome but it would have been better with raw hummus

• 1 month later...
I don't know how many times I've been asked, as a vegan, where do I get my; protein, omega-3, iron, calcium, etc.

I always give my standard response: "where did the bison, rhino, gorilla, bull, etc. get his?" The level of ignorance among the masses where this is concerned is quite incredible.

Great answer!

As far as Vega goes, I will be trying it soon. Is it that great or does this site get promotional consideration from Vega? I mean no disrespect by the question, I am curious as to the motivation behind the rampant Vega praise. Its uncomparable on paper but how does the body react to it? Is it able to efficiently digest the product in its entirety?

Where can I buy it in Southern California?

Thank you

Hey, welcome to our group!

Vega does get a little more praise than other stuff around here for a few reasons.

1. Brendan Brazier formulated it and he is on the forum (he also worked with me on a DVD project).

2. I work for Vega, so I set up special offers for forum members, so many people have received free samples from me or have tried it because they heard about it here.

3. It is probably the highest quality, most unique meal replacement on the market today, so people to tend to like it a lot.

You can look on www.myvega.com under "where to buy" and see where it is in So. Cal. We are new to the US, so it may not be in too many places dow there. But I know it's there because I saw it on shelves in L.A. a few months back. I know Good Karma in Venice has it.

Enjoy!