Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fact or fiction?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:50 am 
Rabbit

I was just surfing the net reading stuff about veganism, when i came up to these things. Surely they are at least to some extent the work of the meat industry trying to scare us vegans, but...
B12 wrote:
Without B-12, a person can suffer from sever irreversible brain damage.

Amino acids wrote:
Protein intake and intake of individual amino acids can affect brain functioning and mental health. Many of the neurotransmitters in the brain are made from amino acids. The neurotransmitter dopamine is made from the amino acid tyrosine. The neurotransmitter serotonin is made from the amino acid tryptophan. If the needed amino acid is not available, levels of that particular neurotransmitter in the brain will fall, and brain functioning and mood will be affected. For example, if there is a lack of tryptophan in the body, not enough serotonin will be produced, and low brain levels of serotonin are associated with low mood and even aggression in some individuals. Likewise, some diseases can cause a buildup of certain amino acids in the blood, leading to brain damage and mental defects. For example, a buildup of the amino acid phenylalanine in individuals with a disease called pheylketonuria can cause brain damage and mental retardation.

Protein wrote:
Protein deficiencies may lead to mental retardation or stunted growth among children and loss of muscle mass among adults.

This means when i quit eating meat at the age of 12 and never took any supplements or things to replace the protein and amino acids from meat, that i am irreversibly retarded now? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:02 pm 
Elephant

Where the hell did you find these gems?

This is obviously complete bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:16 pm 
Manatee

If the poster brought up acid tryptophan, you should ask him why people talk about plant based protein being incomplete when none ever mention hamburger meat being low in tryptophan, especially with him higlighting that exact amino acid.

Last edited by 9nines on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:14 pm 
Rabbit

Take it with a grain of salt -- whoever's talking probably has no idea that it's almost impossible to be protein deficient as long as you aren't eating junk food all the time. Protein deficiency is only found in those who are malnourished. Remember those pictures of African children that they used to show us in middle school science with their bloated bellies? That's a symptom of protein deficiency.

It's also true that, without B-12, you can suffer from irreversible brain damage; however, humans have, in past times, been able to get B-12 from plants, as the plants would absorb B-12 from the soil they were grown in, provided the soil was healthy and had a good supply of bacteria. As we didn't have farming back when this was possible, or whatevercides, we could get all we needed from the plants we ate. These days, however, it's best to take a supplement, as we aren't gatherers anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 am 
Rabbit

I know that adults have about 5 years of b12 stocks in their bodies, but what about children? I'm pretty anxious at the moment, because, like i said in the first post, i never took a supplement when i started to be a vegetarian 5 years ago at the age of twelve... my fitday report says i get about 20 % of b12 from regular food and i now take a supplement...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 am 
Elephant

kuramus wrote:
I'm pretty anxious at the moment, because, like i said in the first post, i never took a supplement when i started to be a vegetarian 5 years ago at the age of twelve... my fitday report says i get about 20 % of b12 from regular food and i now take a supplement...

YOu may not have taken a supplement, but did you drink soy or rice milk? They usually are supplemented with B12, as are many meat analogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:28 am 
Elephant

lmmy wrote:
... humans have, in past times, been able to get B-12 from plants, as the plants would absorb B-12 from the soil they were grown in, provided the soil was healthy and had a good supply of bacteria.

Since B12 comes from bacteria, as I understand it, the B12 from plants wasn't actually IN the plants, but ON the plants, which were not washed as thoroughly as they are these days (unless you can show me some scientific data to the contrary) and in the water of streams that people drank from. If the soil didn't contain cobalt, the B12-producing bacteria couldn't be formed (and studies comparing nutrient content of organic vs.conventional produce have shown that there is no cobalt in the soil of conventionally grown produce, while organic soil contains it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:23 am 
Rabbit

Kathryn wrote:
kuramus wrote:
I'm pretty anxious at the moment, because, like i said in the first post, i never took a supplement when i started to be a vegetarian 5 years ago at the age of twelve... my fitday report says i get about 20 % of b12 from regular food and i now take a supplement...

YOu may not have taken a supplement, but did you drink soy or rice milk? They usually are supplemented with B12, as are many meat analogs.
No, one day i just quit eating meat because it felt gross, but that time i never did a research on the topic... :roll: