What Supplements do you use?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

What Supplements do you use?

#1 Postby robert » Sun May 08, 2005 10:50 pm

What supplements do you use?

I get this question a lot in e-mails. I use a variety of supplements throughout the year.

Leading up to my recent contest win I didn't really use any supplments. I didn't even use protein powder. I relied on whole foods, which even included a high intake of fruits.

At times I will use a lot of supplements. I remember back when I lived in Arizona in 2001 I think I was taking 10 different things:

Protein Powder
Meal Replacement
L-Glutamine
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Multivitamin
Evening Primrose Oil
Flax oil
Vitamin B-12
Protein bars and drinks
Papaya enzymes

And perhaps other stuff too.

When I was back in Oregon I used a bunch of the same but not quite as many.

I left again to work on a bunch of cruise ships and I just used a few supps. then.

Recently I haven't been too interested in supplements and I'm not really sure why, I just ate food instead and did well in my competition.

I'll write more about this later, but feel free to list the supplements that you use or comment or ask about any that I've used in the past.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

User avatar
michaelhobson
Elephant
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

#2 Postby michaelhobson » Mon May 09, 2005 10:58 am

I use rice protein, usually about 50 grams daily.

Also creatine in cycles of 3-6 weeks followed by a 2-3 weeks off, 5-10 grams daily.

B12 a few times per week.

Just started using vegan glucosamine to see if it helps my joints any.

That's all for supliments, although I frequently use fortified products like clif bars and silk soymilk.

RileyG
Rabbit
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 12:06 am
Location: Salem
Contact:

#3 Postby RileyG » Mon May 09, 2005 4:18 pm

I use Genisoy soy protein powder. 25g per serving.

I am thinking of getting some L-Glutamine powder. Good idea?

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#4 Postby kollision » Wed May 11, 2005 8:24 am

I personally only take a Centrum Multi-Vitamin and Flaxseed Oil. I dont have much money so I settle with what I can get.

Riley G,

L-GLutamine is good for stopping muscle breakdown and encouraging muscle metabolism. After excercising, the stress and trauma can cause glutamine levels in the body to be reduced to as much as 50%. It helps against deterioration. Also up to 400% increase in groth hormones can be reached with just 2 grams of L-Glutamine.

If you overdose, you can get stomach aches. However a good amount for bodybuilders is around 10 grams.

Dont take my word for it, Im not a nutritionist, so you should research it as well.

User avatar
godesslissa
Rabbit
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:42 pm

#5 Postby godesslissa » Fri May 13, 2005 10:55 pm

michaelhobson wrote:I use rice protein, usually about 50 grams daily.

Also creatine in cycles of 3-6 weeks followed by a 2-3 weeks off, 5-10 grams daily.

B12 a few times per week.

Just started using vegan glucosamine to see if it helps my joints any.

That's all for supliments, although I frequently use fortified products like clif bars and silk soymilk.

What's the benifit of the creatine?

Rob- What kind of meal replacments have you used?

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#6 Postby robert » Sat May 14, 2005 1:47 am

I don't remember the brand names of the meal replacements but basically they are in powder form like protein powder but are packed full of all kinds of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. They are meant to nutritionally cover a typical meal. I use them when I am really busy like at work and only have time to add some water to powder, shake it up and drink it to get me through a couple of hours until I can get regular food.

When I'm out and about at a store I'll try to look at some brand names.

Some that ring a bell are Naturade, GeniSoy, Planet Vegan, Nature's Plus, and Whole Foods might even have their own brand.

I'll keep checking.


Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#7 Postby kollision » Sat May 14, 2005 5:21 am

godesslissa wrote:
michaelhobson wrote:I use rice protein, usually about 50 grams daily.

Also creatine in cycles of 3-6 weeks followed by a 2-3 weeks off, 5-10 grams daily.

B12 a few times per week.

Just started using vegan glucosamine to see if it helps my joints any.

That's all for supliments, although I frequently use fortified products like clif bars and silk soymilk.

What's the benifit of the creatine?

Rob- What kind of meal replacments have you used?


Creatine has a lot of effects. THe body uses ATP (Adenosine Triphospahte) molecules as energy. THere are three pathways for energy. 2 are anaerobic (without oxygen), and 1 is aerobic (uses oxygen).

The first anaerobic pathway is called the ATP/CP pathway. When you use ATP, it turns into ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) and theres nothing else you can do with it. When you have Creatine Phosphate, the phosphate from that molecule is given to ADP, which makes ATP all over again and it can be used for energy once more.

There are also effects such as water retention (which is considered an increase in muscle mass since muscle is about 70% water). Hope that helped.

User avatar
V VII Hero
Gorilla
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#8 Postby V VII Hero » Sat May 14, 2005 11:31 am

I use a multivitamin (mainly for B-12) and that's it.
NO powders, creatine or anything else for me . I just get what I need from food sources.

bobbycore
Rabbit
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

#9 Postby bobbycore » Mon May 16, 2005 7:24 am

V VII Hero wrote:I use a multivitamin (mainly for B-12) and that's it.
NO powders, creatine or anything else for me . I just get what I need from food sources.


that is a very good way to go!

User avatar
michaelhobson
Elephant
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

#10 Postby michaelhobson » Mon May 16, 2005 10:58 am

godesslissa wrote:What's the benifit of the creatine?


Creatine volumizes muscles cells, making larger muscles basically. It's kind of like an all-day pump. The increased muscle volume gives an increase in leverage making it possible to lift more weight. It also increases muscle endurance and recovery making it possible to lift more weight more often. Lifting heavier weights results in increased muscle size and strength that lasts even after you stop using creatine.

Recent studies have also shown improvements in short-term memory and concentration.

bobbycore
Rabbit
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

#11 Postby bobbycore » Mon May 16, 2005 12:51 pm

michaelhobson wrote:
godesslissa wrote:What's the benifit of the creatine?


Creatine volumizes muscles cells, making larger muscles basically. It's kind of like an all-day pump. The increased muscle volume gives an increase in leverage making it possible to lift more weight. It also increases muscle endurance and recovery making it possible to lift more weight more often. Lifting heavier weights results in increased muscle size and strength that lasts even after you stop using creatine.

Recent studies have also shown improvements in short-term memory and concentration.


Is most creatine made vegan? I have never checked up on that! I guess I have some reading to do!

User avatar
michaelhobson
Elephant
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

#12 Postby michaelhobson » Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 pm

bobbycore wrote:Is most creatine made vegan? I have never checked up on that! I guess I have some reading to do!


I don't know of any brand that is not vegan. Watch what you buy though as there are mixes of whey protein and creatine out there. If you buy pure creatine monohydrate though, it is vegan. Of course the companies producing it may do animal testing on other products. :?

www.veganessentials.com carries a nice vegan product. 8)

bobbycore
Rabbit
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

YES

#13 Postby bobbycore » Mon May 16, 2005 4:00 pm

that vegan essentials site has dope shoes!

User avatar
michaelhobson
Elephant
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: YES

#14 Postby michaelhobson » Mon May 16, 2005 4:42 pm

bobbycore wrote:that vegan essentials site has dope shoes!


Yeah, the owners Ryan and his wife are pretty cool too. Ryan is a powerlifter and can squat 475 pounds, bench 280 and deadlift 550! He bends nails for a hobby and is going to be in a strong man contest in a few weeks. So much for the skinny weak vegans myth. :wink:

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#15 Postby chesty leroux » Mon May 16, 2005 5:37 pm

I use rice protein as well, and take a multi vitamin and this greens supplement when I remember to take them. I'm bad about those and flossing.

Hey Michael have you tried Naturade soy free veg protein? I picked some up last week at Kroger and its not bad at all. Its got pea and potato protein in it as well as rice. If you can find it you should try it out cause I know you are not into the soy prot powders either.

check it out
http://www.enkueros.net/79911025181.html
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming


Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests