Are brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast the same?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

GGreen
Rabbit

Are brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast the same?

#1 Postby GGreen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm

At the health food store they got something called nutritional yeast, and I need brewer's yeast.

veganpotter

#2 Postby veganpotter » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm pretty sure they're the same enough for certain things but they are different..to me brewer's yeast is typically a bit grity but the taste is very similar...what do you need it for???

CollegeB
Elephant

#3 Postby CollegeB » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:50 pm

The brewers yeast ive seen looks more round, the nutritoinal yeast i buy is in flakes. I would imagine they are actually different, not just by form.

GGreen
Rabbit

#4 Postby GGreen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:53 am

veganpotter wrote:I'm pretty sure they're the same enough for certain things but they are different..to me brewer's yeast is typically a bit grity but the taste is very similar...what do you need it for???

Several nutritions but especially the B vitamins.

Kathryn
Elephant

#5 Postby Kathryn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:26 am

Technically, no.

Brewer's yeast is a by-product of the brewing industry, and is usually brownish and somewhat bitter-tasting.

Nutritional yeast is specifically grown on molasses (usually) with the intent of being used as a supplement. Usually, it also has B12 added to it. Nutritional yeast can come in flake or powder form, tastes somewhat cheesy, and is tasty on popcorn.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”