I need a list of healthy raw foods

phrizek

I'm on a (mostly) raw food diet. I live in a dorm-type facility and have recently shared the specifics of my diet with the manager of the cafe. The manager and head chef have enthusiastically embraced my diet and asked me for a list of foods that I would like to eat, so they can get them for me. Now, I'm not really a food expert, so I'm wondering what you guys would suggest.

What types of legumes should I ask for? What are some good nuts? Berries? Veggies? Etc.

Thanks in advance, I'm loving being raw so far.

Joseph

Get as many different leafy greens as they will get for you...as for beans your gonna need to do that yourself since they'll always be out of a can...by them dry and sprout them at home. Also try to see if they'll get fruit other than bananas, apples, and oranges...nothings wrong with those things but thats all most schools provide...they may get you raw sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds though which are great...same with raw tahini

A food contracting company provides the catering, and all of their food is fresh (nothing out of a can, most foods from local farmers within 100 mile radius).

What I've been eating for the past couple of days:

Protein shakes made of:

Garbonzos

kidney beans

carrots

cucumbers

bananas

melons

tomatoes

hemp protein powder

and basically bowls of garbonzos, kidney beans, string beans, lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers.

I'm not trying to go with only one type of fruit or veggie as I have read some people recommend (too hardcore for my blood, maybe I'll do it later).

Anyways, what are some good greens to request?

Thanks in advance by the way, you guys are great.

My favorite leafy green is kale(regular and red kale are awesome...so is lucinto and dino if you can get them), I've recently fallen in love with Swiss Chard and Red Chard is also very good, I rarely eat romaine anymore and only use it as a filler since I like these other so much more...oh...can't forget the collard greens!!! I'm a fan of spinach but organic spinach just costs too much money...same with arugala...you should go out and look for dandelion greens...they're great for you

Protein shakes made of:

Garbonzos

kidney beans

Most large beans are hard to digest when raw, even sprouted, and even sprouting experts recommend eating small amounts of them only, and steaming them if eating much of any quantity.

I can't imagine a smoothie with garbAnzos and kidney beans (though I do like both of those beans raw). I can only imagine the after effects!

I've eaten huge quantities(I doubt anyone on the forum that hasn't met me could believe) of sprouted beans in the form of hummus...I'm not sure how much the hummus weighted compared to the green peppers, zuchini and carrots but I ate about 10lbs of those things dipped into hummus during a movie. I wasn't all that gassy either...well now more than normal As for the smoothies I don't think I'd ever eat a smoothie with any sprouts in it other than if it was VEGA powder or sesame/flax sprouts...to me smoothies must always be sweetish and not overy earthy tasting

Kale is one of those leafy green vegetables we've all heard so much about! It's delicious (if a bit bitter when not cooked -- or at least to me it is), and goes well with just about anything you can throw at it. You can put it in shakes and smoothies, and trick kids into getting their veggies by calling it a Hulk shake -- it's true!

Kale is also a vegetable which has exceedingly good levels of calcium, at 276 mg per cup (or maybe it was per 1/2 cup? Oh well), and because it doesn't have any oxalic acid (the limiting iron that spinach has), you can absorb the most of both its iron AND calcium levels.

Yummy!

spiel>

ok help me out... WHAT is kale, i always thought it was a type of seaweed but it seems it's another veggie as well...?

Kale is part of the leafy green veggie family. I never tried Kale until I went raw for some odd reason... it is super tasty ~ I'm addicted! I drink it in my shakes and I eat them in a salad. It was comes in different varieties: dinosaur (my favourite), dwarf, red russian, etc.