Hunger

I have a problem that I get hungry at the wrong times. Generally, I can eat whenever I want to, that's not the problem; I never feel like I can't eat. But at night I tend to feel very hungry. This is inappropriate, because I think I should be eating more in the morning and afternoon, and less in the evening, and nothing at night. But I feel more and more hungry throughout the day, just keep getting more and more hungry as the night progresses. Is there a way to stop this happening, or do I just have to continue with will-power? I'd prefer to be hungry in the morning and not at night.

i once heard that you should eat less in the evening, but i always prefer to go to bed with a full stomach. this is the only way you will beat hunger in the night. a protein smoothie is always good as it is digested easily and you will still be reasonably hungry in the morning.

jonathan

this may not be your case, but it's important to distinguish whether you're body is actually hungry, or you are simply feeling an appetite. the difference being that you're either following inner signals with hunger, or triggered to eat by boredom or other misguided emotions.

often times feelings are numbed by the rush from food, and your body craves that sense of relief. if that's the case, and you still can't relieve the boredom -- seltzer, water, or a small snack chewed slowly, like raw vegetables, etc. is a great alternative until you understand what's triggering you and feel through it.

the heavy evening appetite's not uncommon since the day is often filled with activity and the night's more calm. there isn't as much going on to distract you from bored, tired, anxious, etc. feelings.

much love,

erinn

Maybe you're right. My activity during the day isn't very different to my activity at night though. And in the mornings, I can wake up, and do absolutely nothing, and not be hungry. Or I can get up, lift weights and go running, and still not be hungry. I only get hungry later on no matter what.

Eat fiber during the times you normally will get hungry. Mostly soluble fiber since it stays in the system longer than insoluble fiber.

Cool thanks. What is soluble fibre? In what kinds of food is it?

You are welcome. Soluble Fibers (meaning they dissolve in water) are in the following foods:

Oats

Brown Rice

Barley

Oat Bran

Dried beans and Peas

Rye

Seeds

Vegetables (especially carrots, corn, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes)

Fruits (especially apples, strawberries, orangaes, bananas, nectarines, and pears)

You may notice how the corn stays in your stool. Basically they go out. They have no nutritional value (the fiber part, not the entire food). It also helps fight cholestoral (which no one here should have a problem with since no one eats meat) by binding to it and taking it out with it.

I paddle on a dragon boat team, for a while I would be so hungry by the time practice was over I had to eat as soon as I got to my car. Then I started seeing a personal trainer. She told me it was probably not a good sign. She told me I should be getting a protein, a fat, a complex carb, and some fruits and or veggies with every meal. This is helping a lot. I was really neglecting proteins and fats at some of my meals. Now I never get to the point where I feel like I’m starving. Also your body is still working even when you’re sleeping, although at a much slower rate, it still need fuel. If you don’t give it what it needs it will start to brake down your fat and muscles.

Also your body is still working even when you’re sleeping, although at a much slower rate, it still need fuel. If you don’t give it what it needs it will start to brake down your fat and muscles.

I agree. Many people, especially when trying to lose weight, will tell you to not eat anything shortly before bed time because you will store it as fat.

But I think that you should NEVER go to bed hungry, especially if you are very physically active or work out. The night time is when your body repairs the damage you have done in the gym or on the track or wherever. It needs fuel to do so - it even needs fuel for simple bodily functions like madcat suggests. So you need to make sure it has that fuel. That is NOT to say have a 6 course meal before you go to bed. But simply ensure that if you feel like you are "empty or low on the fuel" and it is nearing bedtime, have a healthy, balanced snack like a shake or something (and I dont mean a 100 calorie shake either . I mean a snack!!!).

The best way, from my own personal experience, to avoid getting hungry late at night, or at any point in the day, is to make sure that you are eating small, balanced meals every 2 to three hours. This is a great way to keep you blood suger stable, reduce cravings and hunger, and to keep your metabolism revved all day and night!!!

I feel hungry before i go to bed, and then i tell myself 'well i'll have something small and it'll go away'. So i eat whatever, but then I am just as hungry. So I eat something else. But not satisfied, etc. It never goes away at night, so I am always hungry to an extent. I can force myself not to eat, that isn't a problem to do so, but I don't know if it's productive. Maybe my eating habits during the day suck more than I thought, I will experiment with frequency of mealtimes I think

im always hungry at night and it keeps me awake.

Would you advise me to do the same, to just deal with being hungry and go without food after a certain time at night?

I am in no position to advise. but I know I try to eat at least an hour before going to bed (sometimes directly before bed), and I am still hungry. Its my fast metabolism. im always eating. i wouldnt advise starving yourself before going to bed.

if youre trying to lose weight and you dont want to eat something before bed, try a light nutritional snack like carrots or something light calorie protein.

Okay, for all my concerned acolytes, here is the update: I have been eating more often, although I dislike doing that because I worry that I will put on weight also I have been drinking protein shakes which I hadn't been doing. Now it's 12:46am here, and I don't feel starving like I normally do. I could eat something, I probably will eat something small before bed time. But things are a bit better now. Still not hungry in the mornings grr, which is when I logically feel that I should be eating more. But it's okay.