Longevity and health

offense74

Ok, so I've been reading up a bit about this subject. I've also joined Joel Fuhrmans members site and read up on his take on this (he talks about this to some degree). Here's what I got so far:

1. Eat less calories than you expand.

This has been tested on various species from fruit flies to primates and in all of the studies it slows aging. An initial test have been done on humans and the signs they looked for all came about so they are going to make a longer more thourough study.

2. Eat less frequently.

This was actually new to me until a few days ago but when they divided two groups who ate the same amount of calories and let one group eat more frequently than the other the group that ate less frequently slowed their aging (they lived longer and the indicators of aging were lower).

3. Get cleaning materials into your body.

Eat fruits and veggies. This one needs no explanation.

1 and 2 is bad news for bodybuilders obviously since we are tought to eat often and more than we expand.

It seems like they are looking for at least 3 things when looking at aging:

1. Insulin resistancy and levels.

2. IGF-1 (Insulin like growth factor 1)

3. Oxidation going on in cells.

To date the only way to slow aging that science knows of is to lower your metabolism and "slow the body down". It also seems to enhance your immune system.

It seems that things that increase your metabolic rate to help you be more functional now just wears you for the future. Which is what eating small amounts often does. The less you eat(within reason) the better off you'll be since your body doesn't need to go out of its way too digest all that food...same goes for working out....although I'm never gonna take it easy

Yeah man, I have been reading a lot of Fuhrman's stuff. I found it very interesting that leaving gaps between meals helps slow aging. I don't want to get any bigger, muscle-wise, not really, I mainly want to lose a bit of weight and be healthy. Fuhrman's advice, and the type of training I do / hope to continue doing, aren't necessarily in conflict, I like his advice as it is so logical and has explanation / proof.

Side note, I would imagine that true body building would be inverse of longevity; it is very stressful on your body.

Depends on what you mean by "true" Any intense training isn't so good for you but if your looking at pros on drugs then of course its much worse

Side note, I would imagine that true body building would be inverse of longevity; it is very stressful on your body.

I heard a tele conference with Fuhrman and he talked about this. Building muscle and lifting weights is good for you and your longeviety. But there is a cut-off point where it's not healthy anymore.

I'm with Richard here, I don't train to get more muscle, I train more to maintain what I have and because its good to stress the body with weight training a few times per week.

I also read an article about the neuroscience of calorie restriction and it turns out that the same benificial substances that gets released in the brain during a workout gets released when you're on calorie restriction. It seems like calorie restriction and working out (being active) affects us in all kinds of positive ways. It's going to be interesting to follow science in this regard.

MontanaVegan just sent me a DVD of Dr. Fuhrman speaking at a vegetarian/vegan conference in San Francisco. What he said makes absolute sense to me. Intuitively I have done well, but with Fuhrman's help I can do better. You know, Offense74, I entered Lelle's contest, but my goals are more about health than building muscle that I don't really need. I know that bones need to have weight bearing exercises to remain strong and not atrophy. The benefits of regular exercise and mindful eating are obvious.

Kale rules!