Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seed advice please
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Hello, I've been told loads of times to eat seeds. I started eating flax seeds, just by taking a handful and then swallowing them with water. They come out in my stools looking fairly undigested. I read up, and it said that I should grind them first, so I put a bunch in a food blender, and turned them into dust, which I now either just swallow with water, or add to recipes. My queshtish (question) is, can I grind a whole bag of seeds and then keep the resulting powder for an indefinite period, or does this affect the seeds? Should I grind the seeds just before I consume them? Or is the grinding totally unnecessary in the first place, am I meant to eat them whole?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:51 am 
Elephant

I'd say eat them whole and chew better ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Daywalker wrote:
I'd say eat them whole and chew better ;-)

Chew linseed!! That's hardcore. They're too small for my teeth, I can't see how I can chew them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:57 am 
Elephant

Yeah chewing those is really hard, they seem to get slippery too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:00 am 
Site Admin

yea they just slide about in my mouth. So if I grind them up into powder, should I do that just before eating them, or can I grind them, and store them like that? That way I can do the grinding in bulk and it's easier. But if that destroys their nutrish (nutritional) value, then I will do it each time I eat them instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:06 am 
Rabbit

Richard wrote:
yea they just slide about in my mouth. So if I grind them up into powder, should I do that just before eating them, or can I grind them, and store them like that? That way I can do the grinding in bulk and it's easier. But if that destroys their nutrish (nutritional) value, then I will do it each time I eat them instead

From what I understand they lost their nutrish slowly but surely after being ground...I grind a week's supply at a time and store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Ideally I would grind daily but I'll risk it to save the hassle.

My .02....thanks.

"Let the people be holy and every animal and creeping thing will be filled with peace; and the soil of the earth will bring forth in its strength, and the fruits thereof will be meat for man."
--Brigham Young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:45 am 
Rabbit

I grind my flax seeds in a coffee/spice grinder and add them to my protein shakes. I don't know if that's the best thing to do...it's just what I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:47 am 
Rabbit

Oh, it's fairly convenient, so I grind them as I use them as you would coffee beans. That way they maintain their outer shell. Once you crack it they will begin to oxidize sp? Sorry for the spelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 am 
Site Admin

xjasonedgex wrote:
Oh, it's fairly convenient, so I grind them as I use them as you would coffee beans. That way they maintain their outer shell. Once you crack it they will begin to oxidize sp? Sorry for the spelling.

did you mean "oxidish"? Thanks for your advice dudes, I think I will grind more frequently to maintain all the lovely oils and things