Seed advice please

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Richard
Site Admin

Seed advice please

#1 Postby Richard » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:50 am

Hello, I've been told loads of times to eat seeds. I started eating flax seeds, just by taking a handful and then swallowing them with water. They come out in my stools looking fairly undigested. I read up, and it said that I should grind them first, so I put a bunch in a food blender, and turned them into dust, which I now either just swallow with water, or add to recipes. My queshtish (question) is, can I grind a whole bag of seeds and then keep the resulting powder for an indefinite period, or does this affect the seeds? Should I grind the seeds just before I consume them? Or is the grinding totally unnecessary in the first place, am I meant to eat them whole?

Daywalker
Elephant

#2 Postby Daywalker » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:51 am

I'd say eat them whole and chew better ;-)
No one said it would be easy.

Richard
Site Admin

#3 Postby Richard » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 am

Daywalker wrote:I'd say eat them whole and chew better ;-)

Chew linseed!! That's hardcore. They're too small for my teeth, I can't see how I can chew them

CollegeB
Elephant

#4 Postby CollegeB » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:57 am

Yeah chewing those is really hard, they seem to get slippery too.

Richard
Site Admin

#5 Postby Richard » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:00 am

yea they just slide about in my mouth. So if I grind them up into powder, should I do that just before eating them, or can I grind them, and store them like that? That way I can do the grinding in bulk and it's easier. But if that destroys their nutrish (nutritional) value, then I will do it each time I eat them instead

Mike Bundrant
Rabbit

#6 Postby Mike Bundrant » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:06 am

Richard wrote:yea they just slide about in my mouth. So if I grind them up into powder, should I do that just before eating them, or can I grind them, and store them like that? That way I can do the grinding in bulk and it's easier. But if that destroys their nutrish (nutritional) value, then I will do it each time I eat them instead

From what I understand they lost their nutrish slowly but surely after being ground...I grind a week's supply at a time and store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Ideally I would grind daily but I'll risk it to save the hassle.

My .02....thanks.
Mike Bundrant

"Let the people be holy and every animal and creeping thing will be filled with peace; and the soil of the earth will bring forth in its strength, and the fruits thereof will be meat for man."
--Brigham Young

xjasonedgex
Rabbit

#7 Postby xjasonedgex » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:45 am

I grind my flax seeds in a coffee/spice grinder and add them to my protein shakes. I don't know if that's the best thing to do...it's just what I do.
"you can hock your gems for rocks and dust. i can't blame you for your utter weakness...you can't blame me for my disgust."

xjasonedgex
Rabbit

#8 Postby xjasonedgex » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:47 am

Oh, it's fairly convenient, so I grind them as I use them as you would coffee beans. That way they maintain their outer shell. Once you crack it they will begin to oxidize sp? Sorry for the spelling.
"you can hock your gems for rocks and dust. i can't blame you for your utter weakness...you can't blame me for my disgust."

Richard
Site Admin

#9 Postby Richard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 am

xjasonedgex wrote:Oh, it's fairly convenient, so I grind them as I use them as you would coffee beans. That way they maintain their outer shell. Once you crack it they will begin to oxidize sp? Sorry for the spelling.

did you mean "oxidish"? Thanks for your advice dudes, I think I will grind more frequently to maintain all the lovely oils and things

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”