Needs help getting started!

Hello! Im quite new to bodybuilding, but no stranger to veganism. I am 18 years old and female. I was vegan for two years a year or so ago. Last summer I was anoretic and bulimic afor a very short period of time. My lowest weight was 115 lbs, which is actually a healthy weight for my height. Alas, due to destroying my metabolism, I gained 55 lbs in one year.

I am 18 years old, 170 lbs, and 5'3.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what my max/min caloric intake should be.

I am not necessarily interested in losing weight due to the way a look. Heart disease runs in both sides of my family and lately I have had very low energy and feel unable to perform daily, simple tasks.

I was also wondering where I could obtain more information on female bodybuilding (i.e. books, magazines).

I have been vegetarian for four years, vegan for two, and I am now vegan again.

My only physical fitness has been walking and ballet 4x a week. But ballet has become too expensive. So any tips on physical activity I could engage in would be greatly appreciate.

Thankyou much!

Hello!

Welcome to our group. Be sure to stop by the Introductions page as well to make sure you get the proper greeting

As far as Caloric intake, someone like Kollision might have some good suggestions for that....and others as well.

For female bodybuilding, I know of some websites. www.wendylindquist.com is one. She is a friend of mine. She's not vegan, but she supports my vegan lifestyle and she is a great bodybuilder/fitness athlete.

Also on her site there will be lots of links for other female fitness sites, books, etc.

Cool to hear that you are back to being vegan.

For exercise, I pick things that are fun to do (for me). I lift weights, play basketball, soccer, table tennis, hike, and things like that. Cycling is also a great form of exercise. I run every once in a while too.

I always suggest finding something that is fun and that will also burn a lot of calories, or increase heart rate, basically anything that is "work" not just moving weights around or peddling while watching TV. Sweating and breathing heavy is a good key you're working hard.

With bodybuilders, I tell them there is a big difference between exercising and TRAINING. Some people just move weights around, others TRAIN.

So start out slow, but find something you like and push yourself to work hard at it.

I've got to go do some push-ups and sit-ups now, but please introduce yourself further, and welcome to the site!

-Robert

Hi alinaomi!

I agree with all Robert said!

Welcome!

I was wondering if someone could tell me what my max/min caloric intake should be.

First, that strongly depends on your activity. But second, more important, i personally wouldn't advise to count and calculate your calories (that's my philosophy, i know there are other opinions that work). It's as good and easier to simply watch the amount of fat, sugar and carbs in your diet, without actually counting them, estimating is enough. There are many threads on dieting here, take a look around

I am not necessarily interested in losing weight due to the way a look. Heart disease runs in both sides of my family and lately I have had very low energy and feel unable to perform daily, simple tasks.

There are other factors than overweight concerning heart disease. Fibre and some vitamins for example reduce the risk, and certain fats (plant oils mainly). Don't smoke, do cardio exercise and eat healthy vegan, and try to reduce the cholesterol level.

I was also wondering where I could obtain more information on female bodybuilding (i.e. books, magazines).

Sorry, i don't know that... Usually i find the information in BB magazines very misleading, but i think there has to be a good book or two around on female BB!

My only physical fitness has been walking and ballet 4x a week. But ballet has become too expensive. So any tips on physical activity I could engage in would be greatly appreciate.

Ballett is great. You could do everything now, really. Do the sport you always wanted to! Exercise should be fun!

love and peace,

Daywalker

So awesome that you jumped aboard the fitness train earlier than I did! Like you, I struggled with weight issues my entire life. Throughout high school, I was essentially anorexic as well, but, because I slowed my metabolism so drastically, I didn't "believe" I was anorexic because I wasn't "super skinny". I began dating a guy when I was 18 who was not a vegetarian and as a result, we found it "easiest" to eat out - a lot! I began gaining weight at that point. I lost briefly when I first became vegan but then had two little girls and the stress of being a young mother helped me up the weight on QUICKLY. I'm 24, 5'8 and weighed almost 215lbs!! I started following a Weight Watchers style diet (low calorie/low fat/high fiber) and lost almost 60lbs. I recently decided that "thin-ness" isn't my actual goal and that it would be difficult to diet in this manner while trying to lift so I'm researching this as well.

In terms of beginning fitness, I started really slowly - I began walking. 30 minutes about 5x a week - just around the block and a relatively slow pace. After a month, I upped it to 1 1/2 miles and then 2 weeks later to 2 miles. Shortly after that, I added leg weights. They seems REALLY heavy for the first week and I had to remove them after a mile. Now, I can double-up the weights on each side and walk 4 miles 7 days a week. It's toned my legs, boosted by metabolism and gradually re-introduced me to fitness.

Do you have any fitness regiment that you follow? What are your main interests? Do you enjoy dancing, nature, gardening? Pretty much anything you enjoy can be juiced-up to give you exercise. I think you'll be amazed at how quickly your body responds.

I'll keep you posted on information as I locate it. You said you "aren't" interested in losing weight, right. OR are you?

Thankyou all for your help!

Veganmadre, I would like to lose weight. But im trying just to think in terms of being fit, not skinny (like you said). Before when I had an eating disorder, my goal was to see how little I could weigh. Now my goal is to reach my healthy/normal weight and to stay there. Thanks for the advice! I do love sports. I love football, softball, soccer, and ballet. I also just learned how to ride a bike (pathetic, I know, to learn at 18 years old ). It's difficult with the sports because we don't have a girls/womens soccer/softball/football team outside of the highschool and I just graduated. Another problem is that very few of my friends enjoy sports. So, I dont know what to do about that, but im joining a gym this september. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Just not as much as team sports. but alas. Thanks for the advice a ton!

• 5 months later...