Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: doing the opposite of food combining?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:44 pm 
Elephant

when doing food combining you seperate carbs from protein with the intention to lose weight, so i wonder if it would be a good idea for my weight gaining ambitions to do exactly the opposite - preparing my meals so that there are lots of carbs and protein in it. maybe that will give me a weight-gaining-boost :?:

please correct me if i wrote nonsense :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Are you trying to gain fat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 pm 
Elephant

i'm trying to gain weight, but in the last weeks there was not much progress. so, a little bit of fat would not harm me. i don't really know if this kind of nutrition is healty or not, i'm just searching for a way to get heavier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:12 am 
Rabbit

I understand food combining makes digestion more efficient and therefore increases energy...but I would say that caloric intake has a more direct impact on weight. Taking in more calories than you expend = gaining weight. So I would focus on eating more than you expend as the primary factor.

Just my .02...

"Let the people be holy and every animal and creeping thing will be filled with peace; and the soil of the earth will bring forth in its strength, and the fruits thereof will be meat for man."
--Brigham Young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:30 am 
Elephant

lelle wrote:
i'm trying to gain weight, but in the last weeks there was not much progress. so, a little bit of fat would not harm me. i don't really know if this kind of nutrition is healty or not, i'm just searching for a way to get heavier.

I would suggest carbs and protein with every meal. Aim for at least 3 meals per day and 3 snacks or smoothies between meals. Protein should be at least 1.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight. Fats are important too, if you aren't gaining try adding a few tablespoons of flax or olive oil to your diet. If you still aren't gaining, just eat more. Eat until you can't eat any more. :lol:

I have been gaining steadily 1kg per week for about 6 weeks now. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:16 am 
Elephant

Quote:
I have been gaining steadily 1kg per week for about 6 weeks now. Twisted Evil

awesome!

thanks for your hints :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:55 am 
Elephant

Lelle if it's one thing I know how to do it's gain weight. :oops: What is your daily eating pattern and what do you usually eat ?

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 pm 
Elephant

I've been skinny for most of my life, but in the about the past year and a half I gained around 40 pounds. So maybe this will help you-

To gain weight I consumed lots of:

mixed nuts - peanuts are the cheapest, so a lot of times I buy a can of mixed nuts and do a 50/50 mix with a bag of peanuts. I usually buy the salted ones because those are cheaper, then rinse them at home to take the salt off (high sodium raises your blood pressure)

beans and rice - You can eat lots of chickpeas with rice and curry if you make Indian food (or go to all you can eat Indian buffets!). Also Mexican food is good, eat tacos, enchiladas, etc with black beans and rice. If you get a crock pot you can throw in a bunch of lentils, vegetables, and spices in the morning and when you get home at the end of the day you have a big meal.

citrus juice - I'm always drinking orange or grapefruit juice. I love the taste, plus a carton of it has a good number of calories and lots of nutrients

avocados, bananas, apples - I eat this kind of stuff every chance I get

oatmeal and cereal - Oatmeal, in particular, is really cheap and a good source of calories. You can get cereals like Kashi for cheap too and just munch on that stuff whenever you can

If you feel like you need a boost you can even go for a little creatine too

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:43 pm 
Finch

Hi :),

I think the best way to gain healthy weight without fat is to work on gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat anyway): only way to do that is to lift heavy, lift hard. Lift to failure, short reps, high weight and only 2or 3 days a week. Do squats, deadlifts. And you must rest after or you won't grow. Do cardio for health, but keep it moderate. And alternate it increasing the intensity level as well to build muscle. REST.

Eat lots of fruit for energy, vegetables next, then moderate fat, keeping it(fat) at about 15% only. Stay away from oils and stick to the whole food: nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, etc., getting a variety.
Taking flax should be done everyday regardless of your diet goals because it is necessary for health.

Eat as much raw as you can get in and stay away from processed foods, such as breads, desserts, packaged foods, and definitely sugar.

EAT up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:53 pm 
Elephant

michaelhobson wrote:
lelle wrote:
Protein should be at least 1.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight.

so thats 450g of protein a day for you michael? :P

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:13 am 
Elephant

jonathan wrote:
michaelhobson wrote:

jonathan

Wow, i didn't know that Michael was SO HUGE!

300 kilogram!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:22 am 
Elephant

Daywalker wrote:
jonathan wrote:
michaelhobson wrote:

jonathan

Wow, i didn't know that Michael was SO HUGE!

300 kilogram!! :shock:

He was jokin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:48 am 
Elephant

crash: i eat lots of beans, pasta, vegan sausages, cornflakes with soy milk, tofu, green vegetables, soy steaks and stuff.
i eat when i am hungry, not at special times during the day. i would say i have 3 meals and some snacks in between, like potatoe chips, nuts and so on.

willpeavy: thanks for your hints. maybe i should eat more oatmeal and try a little bit creatine :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:42 am 
Elephant

That looks good lelle. Your eating habits are great !

For gaining weight I would recommend eating your protein and carbs in the same meal for weight gain. For example, try adding homemade hummus late in the day to your daily diet. (Chickpeas, some olive oil, lemon juice, spices and blend. Use olives or tomato sauce if you want a change in flavor.) Eat with pita or any kind of bread you like.

When eating pasta, crumble the tofu in the tomato sauce, etc.

Are you weightlifting and if so, what is the weight and how many reps are you doing per set ?

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 am 
Elephant

ah, what i forgot to mention was my drinking habits: mostly malt beer, orange juice and water (descending :D )

alright thanks again for your tips, i'll try that.

oh well, i can bench about 76 pounds for example, may seem laughable to you but when i started with working out i could barely do 40 :oops:
usually i do 5 sets. the first 2 with fairly high repetitions. then increasing the weight and decreasing the repetitions.