Concerned about going raw, input appreciated !

Monow

Just got my Alissa Cohen "living on live food" book and DVD through the post. Really excited about it all. Just getting into the DVD now and the food looks great. Also the health improvements mentioned so far seem very positive. I really do think this style of eating could be for me. Only gone Vegan in the last few months and now I'm strongly considering this as the lifestyle I want.

I have been ill for about 7 years approx. And in the last 6 months have found out that I had candida. Plus thyroid problems, anemic and a whole lot of really bad allergy problems. I think due to poor diet (animal products - boo hsss!) and intense stress. So now I am trying to bring the low part of my life to a close. I think I have a great doctor who is very knowledgeable with the ailments, so that part is covered. But now it's up to me to get my diet correct for me (plus not hurting animals is also now a major passion).

Kind of side tracked there, but watching the DVD one thing came up that I wasn't overly keen on. That is, if you go 100% raw that weight is suppose to melt off you. I think Alissa referred to it as losing "the false body". I assume what happens is you get thin as your fat cells don't have all that nasty food to inflate them. A point she did make, which seems about right, was that women don't usually complain about being thin. But as a guy its not always seen as a desirable look.

She did go on to say that this was a temporary situation, as basically you build muscle with all the good eating afterwards. Now I am 6 foot 1 and I weighed myself this morning and I was 13 stone 8 1/2 lbs (190 1/2 lbs) and 24.5% body fat. I have lost 8 lbs and 1.5% body fat since becoming a vegan which I'm happy about. But wondered how low I'll go before I plateu and start going back up. What Body fat % range do raw vegans stay at approximately ? My dream shape would be to have a classic physique (dream on much like the greats Steve Reeves, Frank Zane etc) and so I think a weight of 12 stone 10 (180lbs) and a 10 fat %. Would be great (Santa are you listening !)

So what I would like to know from the people who have gone 100% raw, what experience did they have when they lost their "false body"?

can you avoid losing weight by eatin plenty of nuts?

Sort of, I used them for a while. I didn't feel good when eating large amounts, avocado is better suited to that I think.

Personally, I don't see how you could maintain weight, I tried pretty hard for a while and was under 10 lbs lost, but there is still loss.

i just dont want to lose weight im 150 now and its a struggle to not lose that.

If you feel good now, no reason to change. If you feel like you want to try it out, the weight should come back fairly easily if you do lose it.

The weight loss referred to in my starting posting shouldn't be cofused with general muscle loss.

Lets get a few terms right, so not to confuse people (I'm sorry I should have made it clear at the start... soz). Weight is more fat weight, I was not talking muscle mass (well not exactly). What I can gather is the "false body" is more the exess weight, all those inflated fat cells. I don't think you're muscles attrify as such (well if you feed muscles, and exercise while eating raw they will grow obviously).

This weight loss and muscle loss is a bit of a problem I always see on those weight loss programmes e.g. The biggest loser etc. They weigh the person and the one who lost the most "weight" wins. But what about those people who lose fat and put on muscle, their "weight" loss will be less imprressive.

So say you're 24% BF you may go down to say 10% BF without much effort. You may lose a little bit of muscle temparorily, but as the loss of bf levels out, you start to go back up in weight as your muscles start to build with the good nutriental food. So you may be 180 lbs 20% BF non-raw but 175 10% BF raw.

That is why I wrote to find out more. Anyone got any long term experience of raw eating would be appreicated.

Zack Great to see you're starting out on the journey. I do appreciate your stress on health before body mass, that must be the propriety. After that, I think muscle will come easily. Zack are you going Raw or fruit only raw ?

CollegeB When you refer to cutting at 170, what I can gather at this stage (I am willing to learn more if I'm wrong) is that when you go raw you don't need to cut anymore as your fat % never seems to sway that much. Which is great, as you can just eat and build muscle, without 3 months of calorie reduction to get rid of that layer around the gut.

Just got my Alissa Cohen "living on live food" book and DVD through the post. Really excited about it all. Just getting into the DVD now and the food looks great. Also the health improvements mentioned so far seem very positive. I really do think this style of eating could be for me. Only gone Vegan in the last few months and now I'm strongly considering this as the lifestyle I want.

I have been ill for about 7 years approx. And in the last 6 months have found out that I had candida. Plus thyroid problems, anemic and a whole lot of really bad allergy problems. I think due to poor diet (animal products - boo hsss!) and intense stress. So now I am trying to bring the low part of my life to a close. I think I have a great doctor who is very knowledgeable with the ailments, so that part is covered. But now it's up to me to get my diet correct for me (plus not hurting animals is also now a major passion).

Kind of side tracked there, but watching the DVD one thing came up that I wasn't overly keen on. That is, if you go 100% raw that weight is suppose to melt off you. I think Alissa referred to it as losing "the false body". I assume what happens is you get thin as your fat cells don't have all that nasty food to inflate them. A point she did make, which seems about right, was that women don't usually complain about being thin. But as a guy its not always seen as a desirable look.

She did go on to say that this was a temporary situation, as basically you build muscle with all the good eating afterwards. Now I am 6 foot 1 and I weighed myself this morning and I was 13 stone 8 1/2 lbs (190 1/2 lbs) and 24.5% body fat. I have lost 8 lbs and 1.5% body fat since becoming a vegan which I'm happy about. But wondered how low I'll go before I plateu and start going back up. What Body fat % range do raw vegans stay at approximately ? My dream shape would be to have a classic physique (dream on much like the greats Steve Reeves, Frank Zane etc) and so I think a weight of 12 stone 10 (180lbs) and a 10 fat %. Would be great (Santa are you listening !)

So what I would like to know from the people who have gone 100% raw, what experience did they have when they lost their "false body"?

Yeah, you could of saved yourself a bunch of money on that book/dvd and come here instead.....

Check this out...it may help....

http://www.realgainz.com/Fruitarian

I'll cut a long story short!

As for the body rebuilding itself as if by magic it doesn't happen...you gotta put some serious work in consistantly from the word go, at first you won't see much difference because at the same time you'll be losing unwanted waste, water, etc but you will get more toned then over time when your done cleaning your body can get back to devoting it's energy to rebuilding from your training.....

Yeah at worse you may look like a stick insect for a while and friends may get scared for you but hey, I looked aweful when I first started but it gets better as you go so stick to your guns, keep focused and with getting active you'll get through it!

People like Alissa have to make up ways to fatten you up so you think your doing real well and you keep buying their stuff.....but really your just delaying the inevitable!

Going 100% is the best thing you can do for yourself and your health....period!!!

Hope that helped.

Bigbwii

Thanks for the insight. I read the interview and found it very thought provoking. I can also appreciate what you must have gone through to define your own path to recovery. It takes extreme courage to listen to your inner voice at the same time the world is screaming to conform. I can relate to many of your comments. I have struggled years trying to break away from society’s rigid thinking.

Also I have been amazed how easy it is to get into an argument over health issues. They say that you should never discuss politics and religion with people; I would also like to add health into the list. Just try sharing your views with someone on food and food related health issues and it can end up like you’ve just killed their first born. I was shocked by that at first, but now I only talk about the subject with people willing to discuss the topic with an open mind. I am sure you can relate to me on that one with what you’ve been through.

I still feel raw is right for me, but with the understanding that it may have downs as well as ups (to put it lightly).

As for Alissa’s stuff, I have found it to be interesting; in the context that it’s a brand new style of eating. But her work like everyone else’s work is just a starting point and not the finishing line for me. My philosophy about it all is, get information, read it through. Then ask yourself the necessary questions, leave a few days, at which point my own mind will separate what is right and what is wrong for me. That’s how I became a vegan. That’s how I have made the better judgements in my life. So this will be the same. When my inner voice goes from a whisper to a shout, I will know what way I must follow.

So Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Zack

"I was full raw for a few weeks, I am experimenting with small portions of cooked beans and some rice once in a while. Still roughly 80-90% raw, I'm just trying to figure out what works best for my body, not a quick process."

I can relate whole heartily on your approach. I am slowly getting into raw, though I am about 80% already after getting into it after 2 weeks. It’s not that the food is the problem here; it’s often the maturation period of the mind set that must go with it. I’m taking in as much information as I can and I will define my next steps on my journey with what I can make from it all. Much like I did when I was to’ing and fro’ing with becoming a vegan. Then I read the books The China Study and The Food revolution and then the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place.

I have found that the increase of fresh raw food has given me a real kick at times which is a major incentive. And much like yourself, coming from ill health, it seems logical now to give the body everything it needs to move forward.

Bigbwii

Thanks for the insight. I read the interview and found it very thought provoking. I can also appreciate what you must have gone through to define your own path to recovery. It takes extreme courage to listen to your inner voice at the same time the world is screaming to conform. I can relate to many of your comments. I have struggled years trying to break away from society’s rigid thinking.

Also I have been amazed how easy it is to get into an argument over health issues. They say that you should never discuss politics and religion with people; I would also like to add health into the list. Just try sharing your views with someone on food and food related health issues and it can end up like you’ve just killed their first born. I was shocked by that at first, but now I only talk about the subject with people willing to discuss the topic with an open mind. I am sure you can relate to me on that one with what you’ve been through.

I still feel raw is right for me, but with the understanding that it may have downs as well as ups (to put it lightly).

As for Alissa’s stuff, I have found it to be interesting; in the context that it’s a brand new style of eating. But her work like everyone else’s work is just a starting point and not the finishing line for me. My philosophy about it all is, get information, read it through. Then ask yourself the necessary questions, leave a few days, at which point my own mind will separate what is right and what is wrong for me. That’s how I became a vegan. That’s how I have made the better judgements in my life. So this will be the same. When my inner voice goes from a whisper to a shout, I will know what way I must follow.

So Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Zack

"I was full raw for a few weeks, I am experimenting with small portions of cooked beans and some rice once in a while. Still roughly 80-90% raw, I'm just trying to figure out what works best for my body, not a quick process."

I can relate whole heartily on your approach. I am slowly getting into raw, though I am about 80% already after getting into it after 2 weeks. It’s not that the food is the problem here; it’s often the maturation period of the mind set that must go with it. I’m taking in as much information as I can and I will define my next steps on my journey with what I can make from it all. Much like I did when I was to’ing and fro’ing with becoming a vegan. Then I read the books The China Study and The Food revolution and then the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place.

I have found that the increase of fresh raw food has given me a real kick at times which is a major incentive. And much like yourself, coming from ill health, it seems logical now to give the body everything it needs to move forward.

No worries....just go for it.....but research all you can about detoxification!

Eating raw is easy.....it's the detox that gets ya!

Peace!

Hi Bigbwii,

Reading as much as I can at the moment about going 100% raw. I'm about 90% at the moment, but plan to go 100% in the next week. I guess the end result will be worth the detox.

Now in my reading I've read some unusual side effects (positive) with going raw and would appreciate your experience on some of this stuff.

1) People who go raw speak of needing less sleep. Have you found this ? If so, how many hours do you feel is appriopriate for you to wake up refreshed and ready to go in the morning ? ...8..7...?

2) Reading food journals of raw eaters for the day, I'm amazed how "little" food they need, even as body builders. Now I'm coming from the perspective of the meat eating body builder who always talked of huge amounts of food (which I always struggled with). But this excites me in a way, to think I could eat enough to be healthy AND put on muscle, whilst still lowering my grocery bills. I am starting to realise that cooked food eaters just get a fraction of the goodness from their food.

Now I don't want a 7 day food plan from you, but can you tell me roughly how many pieces / helpings of fruit you have a day.

3) I assume when you are really into the raw lifestyle that when you do train harder, the body will tell you exactly what it needs with regards to extra nutrition, both in amounts and types ?

Hi Bigbwii,

Reading as much as I can at the moment about going 100% raw. I'm about 90% at the moment, but plan to go 100% in the next week. I guess the end result will be worth the detox.

Now in my reading I've read some unusual side effects (positive) with going raw and would appreciate your experience on some of this stuff.

1) People who go raw speak of needing less sleep. Have you found this ? If so, how many hours do you feel is appriopriate for you to wake up refreshed and ready to go in the morning ? ...8..7...?

2) Reading food journals of raw eaters for the day, I'm amazed how "little" food they need, even as body builders. Now I'm coming from the perspective of the meat eating body builder who always talked of huge amounts of food (which I always struggled with). But this excites me in a way, to think I could eat enough to be healthy AND put on muscle, whilst still lowering my grocery bills. I am starting to realise that cooked food eaters just get a fraction of the goodness from their food.

Now I don't want a 7 day food plan from you, but can you tell me roughly how many pieces / helpings of fruit you have a day.

3) I assume when you are really into the raw lifestyle that when you do train harder, the body will tell you exactly what it needs with regards to extra nutrition, both in amounts and types ?

I'm on oj right now....

All those you mentioned they are a particular stage you go through then you pretty much stabilize back to how you were.

But as I always say....it's all very personal....what happens to me might not happen to you!