Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?

I'm curious about what a days worth of food looks like for a vegan bodybuilder. Would anyone mind sharing their typical meals for a day with me. Here's mine today. It's really boring cause I'm having a hard time coming up with what to do with my non-meat food.

Meal 1

1 cup Oatmeal

1/2 block tofu

Meal 2

1/2 Cucumber

5 Radishes

1/2 cup baby carrots

Nectarine

1/2 bloack tofu

Meal 3

1/2 Cucumber

5 Radishes

1/2 cup baby carrots

1/2 bloack tofu

Meal 4

1/2 oz. Peanuts

2 slices Ezekiel Bread

Slice Soy Cheese

Meal 5

1 cup Pineapple

1/2 cup Quinoa

1/2 block tofu

3 cups Raw Spinach

1T Lowfat Dressing

Meal 6

1 cup Brown Rice

1/2 block tofu

Total Cals: 1647

Fat: 31g 18%

Carbs: 223g 49%

Protein: 132g 33%

Fiber: 30g

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add some tempeh and seitan recipes to your diet, and maybe some different ways of preparing the tofu (like scrambled tofu and hask browns the the am with some strawberries. Yum.)

Check out the recipe section for a good "mock" chicken salad recipe.

There is also a link posted there for some more grrrreat vegan recipes, that you can play with slightly to adjust the numbers.

Also, see Rob's article entitled "Pre-contest Diet" on the home page of the website.

I'm curious about what a days worth of food looks like for a vegan bodybuilder. Would anyone mind sharing their typical meals for a day with me. Here's mine today. It's really boring cause I'm having a hard time coming up with what to do with my non-meat food.

Meal 1

1 cup Oatmeal

1/2 block tofu

Meal 2

1/2 Cucumber

5 Radishes

1/2 cup baby carrots

Nectarine

1/2 bloack tofu

Meal 3

1/2 Cucumber

5 Radishes

1/2 cup baby carrots

1/2 bloack tofu

Meal 4

1/2 oz. Peanuts

2 slices Ezekiel Bread

Slice Soy Cheese

Meal 5

1 cup Pineapple

1/2 cup Quinoa

1/2 block tofu

3 cups Raw Spinach

1T Lowfat Dressing

Meal 6

1 cup Brown Rice

1/2 block tofu

Total Cals: 1647

Fat: 31g 18%

Carbs: 223g 49%

Protein: 132g 33%

Fiber: 30g

The ratio in terms of Carbs protein, and fat percentage is pretty much on target with the 3-2-1 ratio.

Onions, Soy sauce, PAM (non-stick cooking spray), Vegetable Buillion, Tomatoes, Garlic, BBQ sauce, Different Mustard Varietys, Paprika and Curry are invaluable to me. I saute everything with PAM. Marinade the Tofu in any sauce overnight and bake it. Freeze tofu to give it a meater texture once thawed. Make a curry out of powdered curry and light coconut milk - add veggies and tofu. Lentils. Blend tomatoes in a blender with water, garlic and onion - and it to cooked lentils and stir in tofu during the last 5 minutes. I'll look and see what I can find in terms of recipes. Fatfree.com is also a great resource - it lists recipes by genre and main ingredient.

To see what I typically eat, go to this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/nutrition.html

I have over half a dozen samle nutrition days for myself. I'll try to copy and paste one here and then check out the rest:

Grams of protein Calories

7AM

1 bowl of Hi-Lo Cereal with soymilk 20 400

1 Soy Yogurt 6 160

1 Banana 1 70

All vitamins taking today

24oz water

10AM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake 15-25 300-500

2 whole pieces of fruit 1 150

16oz water

1PM

Mock Meat Meal 10-30 300-600

Bowl of potatoes, broccoli & carrots 10 200

24oz water

4PM

Mixed raw nuts, unsalted (cashews, walnuts, almonds) 15 350

Clif or Odwalla bar 10 250

16oz water

7PM

Tofu/vegetable stir-fry (variety of veggies) 25 400

Spinach, lettuce, cabbage salad w/kidney beans/chickpeas 12 280

12oz chocolate soymilk 10 300

16oz water

10PM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake 15-25 150-300

Lentil Soup with crackers or wheat bread 15 300

12oz water

Daily totals 205 4,200

108oz water plus water consumed in protein drinks

• 3 months later...

That's what I had to eat today for lunch. NUM NUM NUM.

Eew! I hope it tasted better than it looks (I won't comment on that!). And I'm sure it did!

On the topic of "funky looking, but good tasting," I recently went to a teachers' conference, and had requested vegan meals (as I always do). Since my luck with getting anything remotely ressembling what I'd like to eat has been bad in the past (like waiting long after everyone else got their meals, then being served some grilled veggies that smelled like meat--which I returned and asked for something else, but pretty much ate what I'd packed along in my hotel room: the meal was included in registration, so I thought I'd try), the organizers (who know me well, as I'm on the board of the organization) asked me to talk to the woman at the hotel who was arranging things.

I gave her some ideas for what vegan protein items would be good to include: tofu (I was told they had it), portobello mushrooms (say them on the menu), lentils, tempeh (pretty sure they'd never heard of it), seitan (ditto). Just as examples of good foods to include.

When I was served my meal (this time, BEFORE anyone else!), it was a plate of lentils (brown/green), with a baked portobello mushroom in the center, and some cubes of steamed tofu on the mushroom. Oh, and a sprig of steamed broccoli (see how they ad-libbed there?). It was a very 70's -looking veggie meal (very brown, white and green!). Looked kind of unappetizing, but tasted delish!

A normal weekday for me:

MEAL 1 (Breakfast)

4-8 fruits.

Protein drink (2,5 scoops of pea protein, 125g berries, 1tsp flax seed oil, 1 banana).

MEAL 2:

A fruit and 5-6 almonds.

MEAL 3:

Frozen veggies that I microwave. 250g beans. Sometimes 100:ish grams of corn, to sweeten it up.

MEAL 4

A fruit and 5-6 almonds.

MEAL 5 (before workout)

Oatmeal with fruits or berries. Ground flax seeds. Soymilk.

MEAL 6:

Fresh mixed salad.

• 1 month later...

A little late but...

Breakfast (5:30am): hot cereal, vegetables, muffins (equalling to usually about 350 calories)

lunch (noon, and throughout the day): pb&j, fruit, luna bar (about 500)

snack (3pm): luna bar OR 7 triskits OR clif Z bar (120-180)

dinner (around 6:30pm): veggies--usually a HUGE plate of them (a bag or so) with soy sauce. More hot cereal. Something with protein...usually. (like peas or beans or more pb) (500 cal.)

I eat whatever I feel like it (and whenever). Like, if I'm craving chocolate at 5:30 am, then I eat chocolate. If I want hot cereal at 7pm then it's hot cereal I eat.

During the weekends my breakfast stay the same, but I have a larger lunch and smaller dinner. And no snack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. oatmeal with a scoop of vege fuel protein powder and 1 tablespoon of udos oil (a builder bar if i'm in a big rush)

2. protein shake or bar

3. vegan deli slices on hemp bread, rice and beans, or crackers with some veganrella and vegan deli slices on top

4. protein shake or bar

5. 2 veggie burgers no bread but with vegenaise, ketchup, and mustard on them

6. protein shake

(sometimes i use chocolate protein powder and add peanut butter, coconut, or banana, sometimes all 3 if i feel like spoiling myself)

supplements- multi

calcium

dim

chromium

thermogenic(either pills or a drink)

primal defense

glutamine

7am: 1 banana

3T Organic Almond and Peanut Butter (mixed together)

1T Blackstrap Molasses

1/2c Cherry Juice

1/2 T Flax Oil

10am: 1/2c Hummus

8 Carrot Chips

1c Tea

12pm: Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds

Dried Pineapple and Mango

Protein Shake (1/2c Cherry Juice and 1 scoop non-soy powder)

3pm: 1c Bean "pasta"

2/3c Sauce

1c Tea

5:30pm: Vega Shake

8pm: ANDI bar

To see what I typically eat, go to this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/nutrition.html

I have over half a dozen samle nutrition days for myself. I'll try to copy and paste one here and then check out the rest:

Grams of protein Calories

7AM

1 bowl of Hi-Lo Cereal with soymilk 20 400

1 Soy Yogurt 6 160

1 Banana 1 70

All vitamins taking today

24oz water

10AM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake 15-25 300-500

2 whole pieces of fruit 1 150

16oz water

1PM

Mock Meat Meal 10-30 300-600

Bowl of potatoes, broccoli & carrots 10 200

24oz water

4PM

Mixed raw nuts, unsalted (cashews, walnuts, almonds) 15 350

Clif or Odwalla bar 10 250

16oz water

7PM

Tofu/vegetable stir-fry (variety of veggies) 25 400

Spinach, lettuce, cabbage salad w/kidney beans/chickpeas 12 280

12oz chocolate soymilk 10 300

16oz water

10PM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake 15-25 150-300

Lentil Soup with crackers or wheat bread 15 300

12oz water

Daily totals 205 4,200

108oz water plus water consumed in protein drinks

Robert, during a typical nutrition day as you posted above, when do you do your workout sessions? I assume your timing and what you eat at each meal reflects that.

I often workout around 5PM. So I get that snack in around 4PM and hit the gym from 5-6:30 and come home and eat.

Those aren't exact times that I eat, but a breakdown of my typical schedule when I can stick with it. It all depends on work and other things going on, but I always get in food every 2-3 hours, even if it is just a quick Vega bar or Clif bar, just some sort of fuel.

But I do like to stick to a program like this to get X amout of protein and X amount of calories throughout the day.

Sometimes I workout at 8PM so I just plan meals around it.

Before training I pretty much only like to eat fruit (bananas, apples and oranges being my favorites) and sometimes and energy bar. I don't like to have a full stomach but I like to have that energy from those foods. After a workout, I'll eat quite a bit. Sometimes I don't have much of an appetite after training, it depends on the workout. But gotta eat, so I get it done.

But I do like to stick to a program like this to get X amout of protein and X amount of calories throughout the day.

I'm the same way...planning what u eat and when to eat really helps. But sometimes is so easy to get stuck in a rut when u find a good plan. That tends to be my problem.

But gotta eat, so I get it done.

No kidding! Eating in and of itself is like a full-time job! I've added a lot more food to what I was previously eating, so now I eat at least 6-9 times a day. I always carry food with me... had to buy a bigger purse to accomodate it all!

Oh!!! I finally know for a fact that I actually CAN cook! LOL... I made a pizza tonite and it ROCKED! (Usually, I SUCK at cooking----case in point: I've burned pasta, tofu, and even soup. Most of my pans have burned food permanately crusted onto them. Yeah, with my cooking skills, I'm going to make my future husband very happy, lol!!! ) However, the pizza was yummy and didn't burn (AMAZING!). I used spelt pizza crust, sauce, tofu, spinach, mushrooms, and vegan cheese. YUM!

• 1 month later...

I LOVE VEGAN PIZZA!

I look forward to eating it once I finish competing this spring. Nice job on the cooking. I'm terrible. I can't really cook anything.

A few years ago I could cook a bit, and bake too, but those years are behind me.

Maybe I'll be good at it again someday.

Anyway, eat up!

My cooking skills have taken a bit of a regression as of yesterday. Case in point:

I was making my Famous Vegan Pizza (one of the only things I know how to make), and I not only managed to set off the Smoke Dectector, but also burned a good chunk of my forearm in the process. (At least the pizza was Delicious!!!) Needless to say, I'm done with cooking for a while and instead will resort to gorging on hummus, tofu, salads, and nut butters. The Raw Vegan Diet is looking more appeasing by the minute! LOL

Here's what I had today:

9 am

Homemade smoothie:

1/3 cup frozen berries(blueberries/rasberries)

1 bananna

1 cup blended veggie juice(wheatgrass, carrots, broccoli)

1/2 cup strawberries

11am

tofurkey sandwich

Salad w/homemade dressing(rasberry vineg/flax oil)

12pm

broccolu/hummus

2pm

1/4 cup mixed raw cashews/almonds

3pm

apple

5pm(almost here)

pasta puntanesca

salad

mixed steamed veggies

I try, I don't always get the perfect amount of fats/carbs/protein. I also try to stick to 1800-2000 calories.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've been asked, and I think I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll post it here again, where it's supposed to be.

What I typically eat:

A.M.

Fruit - usually apples, pineapple, oranges, bananas, etc. My job is particualrity hectic at times, so I like to eat "fast" foods. How much?? it differs from day to day, but I generally eat 10 -12 pcs of fruit throughout the morning.

Lunch - Fruit, and usually a stalk of celery, or a cucumber, or maybe some brocolli. I used to eat a big salad for lunch, but I found that it makes me lethargic in the afternoon, which effects my work, as well as my daily training

Dinner - now this is the meal that generally changes from day to day. I sometimes have some roasted potatoes, or a vegetable stir fry on a bed of long grain brown rice. Or even a veggie sandwich, and of course lots and lots of SALADS!! quite often I will make myself a green smoothie consisting of 3 bananas, 6 medjool dates, and .5 - 1 lb. of dark leafy greens. YUM!

• 3 weeks later...