Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you eat 4000-5000 kcal?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 pm 
Gorilla

I'm really skinny, and want to pack on some mass. But I feel hard to eat this much calories.

If I have 5-6 meals a day, even with the most delicious foods after about 600kcal I get bored of it, and have to sutff it down my throat :S

So how do you guys eat this much calories?

Post subject: Re: How do you eat 4000-5000 kcal?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 am 
Finch

This can be hard thing to accomplish for a lot of people but I would say the best method if to combine highly calorie dense foods into a smoothie. Things that might go well together are dates, almonds, cashews, hemp seeds, alongside some juice or water perhaps. For perspective 1lb of cashews contains over 2500kcal and every deglet noor date has about 25 kcal (deglet noor dates are pretty small). So combining large quantities of these into some pre and post workout smoothies could help get you to your kcal fairly easily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:44 pm 
Gorilla

Well, I'm doing a low fat vegan diet, something like the forks over knives thing. I do eat nuts and seads, but don't really like to mix high carb with high fat in one meal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:34 pm 
Rabbit

low fat, 4000-5000 kcal is going to be really tough! Generally speaking, when someone needs that type of caloric intake, high density foods need to be brought in.

I tend to wonder if you really need that much food...are you actually weighing your food and tracking your calories? A lot of the skinny guys I know who claim to eat a lot may eat a lot for one or two meals, but then they skip breakfast and don't have any snacks in between, resulting in relatively low daily intake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 pm 
Gorilla

Now I'm 183cm tall and 67kg, I'm pretty skinny. In the summer I had surgery so I went down to 63kg, but came back up to 67kg.

I eat in between 2000-2500kcal on an avarage day. 2 years ago when I did bodyweight training regulary and stuffed down 3000kcal or more a day I went to 70kg. But I want to go up to 80kg, with mostly muscle of course.

A 3000kcal diet usually was this for me:

Breakfast: 1000kcal of oatmeal, or cornmeal or 10 banana green smoothie.

Lunch: Usually grains with steamed veggies, etc. 1000kcal

Dinner: Usually beans or lentils with some veggies around 1000kcal

Some fruits in between as snacks, and a handful of nuts and seeds afterwards

Could go to 4000 with 5-5 bananas more in between snakcs, but I'm really on a budget and can't afford it. Also somehow my appetite isn't that good lately, I get bored with the most delicious food to easily, and after that I feel I'm just stuffing myself.

I coul go up to 20-25% of fats per day, but I don't like to mix high carb foods with high fat, and somehow it's not that good to eat even 600kcal for example from some nuts or seeds :S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:11 pm 
Elephant

You need to do it slowly. You can't just start downing 4000 calories if you are use to 2500 calories. Your body won't be able to process it and it will just end up in the colon waiting to be exported out.
I find eating every 2-3 hours to be most helpful. There is no mind set of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. It is meal 8 AM, 11 AM, 3 PM, 6 PM, and 9 PM for me.
Also just wanted to mention the low fat. Make sure it is no fat. You will need the long chain fatty acids to be building blocks for your body to make testosterone/hormones/cholesterol. I have seeds, avocados, and wheat germ oil (due to the high squalene content) to get my oils in.