Trying to build muscle. Help me hit 3300-3400 calories!!

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

TheRawg
Finch

Trying to build muscle. Help me hit 3300-3400 calories!!

#1 Postby TheRawg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Most days I feel like I stuff myself, but I am still falling short on calories. I used to track everything I ate daily, but have slacked off some due to eating a lot of the same things all the time. My goals are to get bigger, put on muscle mass, and trying to limit my fat gain as much as possible. I am in the gym 6 days a week. Weight train all 6 days. A typical day of eating for me is as follows:

Breakfast:
3/4 cups oatmeal with 1-1 1/2 Tbsp of maple syrup
20-24 whole almonds
Protein shake with 2 scoops protein powder and 1 cup almond milk

Mid Morning snack:
Banana or apple
Almonds

Lunch (1st meal):
1/2 cup basmati rice
1-2 cups steamed green beans
2 boca veggie burger patties
1-2 tsp flax oil

Lunch (2nd meal):
3/4 cup basmati rice
1-2 steamed veggies
1/2 package of tofu baked with braggs aminos and spices
1-2 tsp flax oil

PM workout

Post workout shake:
2 scoops protein powder
2 Tbsp PB2
Creatine
35-40g dextrose powder

Dinner:
Gardein Turk'y Culets (2 pieces)
2-3 cups of Kale
Salad w 1-2 Tbsp of oil or dressing

I know I am eating less than I should be. I guess its just hard because everything is so nutrient dense and not calorie dense unless you are super heavy on the carbs. I have been playing around with carbs lately. I typically eat on the heavy side throughout the day, but try to keep them really low during dinner.

I have the occasional bit of dessert type junk food...vegan ice cream..lenny and larry cookies etc...but not enough to make a huge difference.

I have looked online, but haven't come across some good high calorie/high protein meals that would help me hit my goals without having to add like 3 more meals haha.

I am open to any suggestions and input.

Thanks!

VeganBadass_CO
Manatee

Re: Trying to build muscle. Help me hit 3300-3400 calories!!

#2 Postby VeganBadass_CO » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 pm

looks pretty good to me! Hard part is adding in quality carbs and not packing on weight.

Could add a bit of peanut butter into your oatmeal....

Can always add in more plants, but as you know, they tend to be low cal relative to a serviing.

I didn't add up all what you're eating. Looks clean, even with the processed Boca/Tofurky add ins.

So might ask, what is lacking either performance wise or goal wise?

What is your BMR and BMI? Weight, add a 0....give roughly cals per day just doing nothing....

For me, my Cals were enough to sustain my fitness, but I struggled completing 2 classes of Krav without pooping out half way through. I most adjusted the timing of what I was eating.

TheRawg
Finch

Re: Trying to build muscle. Help me hit 3300-3400 calories!!

#3 Postby TheRawg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Performance wise I have notice some stuff here and there. I honestly think it may be a combination of diet and some form issues..but I have had people check the form and say that it's good..so I was figuring perhaps the diet..I may just be getting ahead of myself as well. I have only been seriously in the gym for 6 months now. I have been increasing weight etc on the good majority of exercises I do, but have stalled on some..so I have been trying to find a culprit.

But yeah I know what you mean on finding good quality carbs.

I have been trying to incorporate more healthy fat into my diet to try and bump the calories some.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”