frozen vs. fresh vegetables

lelle

I don't like the taste of frozen veggies. Peas are the only ones I would eat frozen.

I find the others never cook as well as fresh, but understand for some its a matter of convenience, cost etc, especially for out of season veggies.

For me though it has to be fresh

Ditto on the peas...corn ain't bad either but corn isn't all that good for you. Okra also tastes great frozen but I don't like much else. I'll eat it anyway to save cash but I'd rather eat fresh veggies any day

The one problem with frozen food is that it gets freezer burn. At least it does in my freezer! And often, when I buy it, there's already ice in the package from the store freezer.

I think it would be much better if you could find it without ice on it, and put it in some kind of container that would prevent freezer burn.

i'd rather buy them fresh, it's sad that they're getting expensive, but in terms of ''cooking'' fresh ones are better..

the only veggies that i buy frozen are: okra and black-eyed peas ( i also buy the dehydrated ones ).. and i think that's all..

The only frozen veggies I eat are corn, okra and butternut squash. Fresh veggies are expensive and time consuming, true. But I just feel better eating something that I know hasn't been altered. Freezing probably doesn't do that much harm, if any, I guess it's just a thing of mine.

Though I'm sure that will all change when I become a student with no time, or money!

When I do buy frozen veggies, they go straight into the food saver bags. The food saver has been one of the best investments in my kitchen. I can make so many meals ahead of time, quick fixes for tight schedules, and it solves that yucky freezer burn problem.

I'm not crazy about canned or frozen veggies. I'll eat peas and corn frozen but I still prefer it fresh. I love a kitchen stocked with lots of fresh veggies. It can be expensive, I agree, but I also believe it's completely worth the splurge. Then again, this summer, the veggie dilemma won't be a problem - we'll be living beside an organic garden!

When I was a litter poorer, I used to buy a frozen "california blend" of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. I would stir fry the veggies and eat them over brown rice with tahini dressing. That was pretty good but not nearly as good as fresh steamed veggies served the same way.

I prefer fresh-frozen organic fruits and veggies to conventionally-grown fruits and veggies that are questionably 'fresh' because they are picked before they are ripe, shipped long distances (I'm talking Midwest winter here!), and sometimes coated in nasty wax.