Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help with loosing bodyfat on vegan diet!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:59 pm 
Finch

Hey, I have a friend who's FINALLY into fitness and she wants to get into the best shape of her life, only issue is she's vegetarian/vegan. While I know a lot about traditional nutrition, I'm afraid I'm very ignorant when it comes to vegetarian nutrition. Can anyone suggest some meal plans for her to loose weight..? She will be working out with me 6 times a week burning about 300 to 500 cals per workout. She weighs 160LBS and is 5'6. She's looking to loose 15 to 20 LBS in the next 2 to 3 months. What would be a good vegetarian or vegain diet for her to use for this? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:28 pm 
Elephant

I recently lost about 50 lbs on Weight Watchers. She can follow the points system without actually joining. The equation is listed in their patent - which is available to the public. It translates at this:

Points = Calories/50 + Fat/12 - Fiber/5. Fiber is capped at 4 g in terms of calculating points.

Given she'll be exercising intensely, she'll be earning another 6 points a day on top of the 20-25 points she should be eating to lose weight. On days that she doesn't exercise, she should stay within the 20 - 25 point range. I was a sloppy vegan for years (5 to be exact) and put on tons of weight. I highly recommend WW because of it's practicality and nutritionally sound approach. It's really helped me become a "good vegan" and I enjoy healthy cooking. Recently, I made Veggie Tempura and the taste of oil made me gag. Let's just say, this was not always the case. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:05 pm 
Elephant

I'm not sure what her average day looks like ,but I would say add more raw foods 50% or more of daily intake. Cut way down on processed foods. When eating breads & pasta make sure they are 4 grams of fiber or more. Eat 5-6 times daily of small nutrition dense foods. Drink lot's of water based drinks.

Sounds like her exercise is on track. Good Luck!