How much cooking is considered 'raw'?

Matt

This may seem like a dumb question, but I've heard or read from someone that cooking or heating only up to a certain temperature is considered 'raw'. Or maybe it was that it didn't break down the 'living enzymes' at a certain temp?

For me cooked is cooked......

I have a question for you about that. I know you're against dehydrating because it takes the "life force" out of the food, I agree with you there. Where do you stand on things like sun dried raisins? That's a lot of heating, but do you consider that cooking? Just curious.

For me cooked is cooked......

I have a question for you about that. I know you're against dehydrating because it takes the "life force" out of the food, I agree with you there. Where do you stand on things like sun dried raisins? That's a lot of heating, but do you consider that cooking? Just curious.

They are de-hydrated period!...if you soak raisans overnight they will re-hydrate back into grapes, most other dried fruits are heavily chemically treated too.

When you go raw hydration is vital, the longer you stay raw the more that will make sense.

They are also nuggets of concentrated sugar and can cause issues with your teeth, also when you eat them they will re-hydrate and double in size in your stomach, cause bloating/constipation especially if you are not careful in chewing and watching how much you eat, I stay away from them because I don't thrive on them at all or anything other than ripe fresh fruits.

Dried fruits are a good tool for transitioning if used in moderation for brief periods but end up causing a lot of people problems because they treat them like candy and over eat.

But it's all personal choice!

I don't think its so much temp...its the process since there are foods like dates which are grown in places where its consistantly over 100degrees and they may get well over 120degrees...kinda like cement. If your warm it up its cooked...unless your warming it to a temp below its growth temperature

I agree dehydrated foods are not good. I do however notice in

tremendous difference in how I feel following the consumption of

seeds/veggies dehydrated by sun, vs. a dehydrater.

Sun dehydrated is amazing in comparison..and doesn't feel

half as dehydrating.

Dehydrated foods are good for transition.

I'll never tried/or found appealing, dehydrated fruits.

I like how they taste and I eat them...but really its my candy...well when I'm mostly to "completely" raw(in the mind of others) I also like sorbet quite a bit

They probably heat it for insurance purposes. Pretty much every liquid in the US is pasturized. Its much better to make it yourself. Its conderably cheaper too.

Thats what I thought. Most of that stuff has to be pasteurized.

How's things in Richmond veganpotter?? I don't get up that way much. We usually only get as far as Colonial Heights!! We go to Raleigh alot more. Raleigh is a really nice city and they have a HUGE Whole Foods store and they just opened a Trader Joes in Cary which is a pretty nice store with great prices.

We've got a really close natural food store that is great but really pricey(Ellwood Thompsons). They have everything I need but some prices are outrageous(some organic apples are $4 per pound). There are also two Christian organic food stores but they aren't that close. Prices a better but not as much to choose from other than bulk foods(but there bulk foods actually cost more). Anyway there talking about building a Trader Joes soon which will be nice but I'll be out west by then:(

Yeah...I love Ellwoods but they really take advantage of being the only natural food store outside of the wealthy areas the other two places are. They won't be able to get away with that once a major natural food store comes in. If they follow the lead of Trader Joe's they shouldn't go out of business but if they do they are in deep trouble.

As for school my girlfriend(Jamie) will be attending St. John's for graduate school in Santa Fe. I may go back to school but I'm not sure if I wanna do that yet.

Some Ukrops' do but mine doesn't. They have lots of packaged organic foods. But in terms or produce my Ukrops only has carrots, oranges(covered in bees wax), bagged greens(which I don't think are much more earth friendly), and sometimes potatoes. There are other ones that have much more but mine doesn't. I don't know why though since there are so many vegans on campus that would rather buy organic than not.

That's too bad. The one in Colonial Heights has a small but very nice organic sections with a good variety of food including frozen foods, grains, sauces, cereals, nut milks and soy, food bars, etc... They also have a bin section with lots of nuts and dried fruits. They have some produce too but very expensive.

Whole Foods in Raleigh is much better. Huge amount of produce at reasonable prices. Last week I got organic Fuji apples for 1.49 lb.

Good Foods actually had a few good deals but some stuff was way overpriced(I went there yesterday). Organic Granny Smiths were $2 which is reasonable. However we wanted seaweed and they have good Maine Coast Seaweed but they were all $5.50-$7. There's a place just north of Baltimore that has the same Seaweed but they are all $2 no matter the type.