Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fat loss diets
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:26 pm 
Rabbit

Hey all,

I've been thinking about following a vegan diet. However, everything I read about veganism and body building always seems to focus on building mass (i.e. high calorie diets) and never anything on fat loss. I always read that you should have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but whenever I try to develop a diet with that requirement I always end up in a high calorie situation that would promote muscle gain, not fat loss. Can any one help me out with a fat loss diet? I'm currently 156 and want to lose body fat, not weight. If anyone could help me out I would be enternally grateful!

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:07 pm 
Elephant

Check my thread under beginners questions...I recieved a lot of great advice! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:06 pm 
Rabbit

Hey Tyler,

The DRI for protein (formerly the RDA) is 0.8g/kg. This translates to 0.36g/lb. So, at 156lb you should be getting 57g/day, not 156g/d. This amount of protein is easy to get through a vegan diet, as long as the diet is balanced with food from the 4 food groups... by that I mean Fruits, Vegetables, Breads and Cereals, and Legumes. Check out the site and if you have any specific questions feel free to post them!

There are many different ideas floating around about weight loss, fat loss, and getting in shape. Personally, I think that everyone is a little bit different, so always use any advice with a grain of salt, and check to see how your body responds.

To lose weight is easy, just take in fewer calories than you burn. To lose fat is harder: eat a balanced diet, and get a mix of aerobic exercise (this will help burn fat while exercising) and weight training (this will burn fat during the muscle building/recovery phase). As I said, check out the other threads, and if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :D