water consumption

My understanding is that drinking to much water when you are eating whole foods can dilute the digestive fluids and reduce the effectiveness of your digestion, but if you are eating processed foods, protein powders, etc... I do not thing that really applies since they are dehydrated so much.

I try to drink water in between meals and just sip water during meals, unless I am eating something dehydrated, then I drink water if I don't soak and hydrate the food first.

drink when youre not thirsty! When you actually feel thirsty you have already been dehydrated for about an hour or so. Yes, you can drink too much. With too much you can flush your electrolytes and with no sodium or sugar in your body...down you go. I knew of someone on there day of graduating from bootcamp drank like 3 gallons and passed over dead right in front of everyone. Some kid playing high school football in TX died on the field from doing the same.

I've always drank a lot of water, but I noticed that once I started drinking more, I noticed I was thirsty more often, which leads me to believe I was chronically dehydrated (if such a thing exists). If you're drinking a lot like that, and you feel fine, you're probably doing the right thing.

Someone actually died recently doing a water drinking contest on the Radio. She came in second trying to win some money...went home feeling a bit queesy and that was the end of it. Anyway its very unlikely for you to do this unless your stupid or out training very hard for long periods of time in the heat. Water toxification is common during iron man competition and normally happens in varying degrees to someone at every iron man.

Someone actually died recently doing a water drinking contest on the Radio. She came in second trying to win some money...went home feeling a bit queesy and that was the end of it. Anyway its very unlikely for you to do this unless your stupid or out training very hard for long periods of time in the heat. Water toxification is common during iron man competition and normally happens in varying degrees to someone at every iron man.

I belive your'e ta;ling about the girl who wanted to Win a Wii. It wasn't money. It was a Wii. They called it" Hold your Wii for a Wii". Thankfully those radio hosts got sacked.

drink when youre not thirsty! When you actually feel thirsty you have already been dehydrated for about an hour or so.

I've heard this but I've never seen any form of science backing it up. If this were true then it should be equally rational to sleep when your not tired, poop when you don't need to and eat when you're not hungry.

Our body has been built through millions of years of optimization and it has a highly sensitive signaling system for it's needs. I don't think that system suddnly broke down. I still say drink when you're thirsty, your biological machine knows what it's doing.

Actually I don't think the radio hosts should have got sacked. They signed a disclaimer and drank away. Eating contests go on all the time...the only difference is that promoting that type of behavior makes people die a bit later instead of the same day but people are stupid and if they want to do it then they should get to...so long as the food is vegan.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who would take part in a contest like that for a video game is an idiot anyway.

So you know, the woman who died was actually trying to win a Wii for her children.

Yeah. Wanting to make your kids happy and give them something special is so idiotic.

Educate yourself before you comment.

Look at the post earlier...someone already said this. Anyway the woman is still an idiot for doing this. Professional eaters eat to make money for their families and they will die painful lives for it. They are idiots too.

Look at the post earlier...someone already said this. Anyway the woman is still an idiot for doing this. Professional eaters eat to make money for their families and they will die painful lives for it. They are idiots too.

I have a problem with the fact that you're looking at them in an individual rather than social context. Yes, it's stupid to drink gallons of water, and it's stupid to eat yourself sick, but the fact is that we're not informed that either of these will have truly life-damaging effects (especially if the "professional eaters" have fast metabolisms and remain relatively thin), so you can't exactly blame them here. (And yes, I realise I'm defending omnis.. but they're idiots and immoral for a whole 'nother reason.)

Our culture is one based on consumption. (And I speak of the U.S. culture here.) It places objects as not only the things we should desire most, over self-appreciation, consistency, and a strong ethical code, but it also advertises material products as a quick fix for any metaphysical hunger. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm saying that corporations brainwash people, or we wouldn't have these people eating at McDonalds every day for habit or addiction or emotional cycle or who knows what. I'm also saying that, while you can blame them for not educating themselves, you can't blame them for society refusing to put out any leads. Saying that it's solely their fault is like saying that I asked you "what?" and then blamed you for not being able to read my mind to get the answer I expected.

The Feminist mantra is always relevant: the personal is political.

Anyone who would take part in a contest like that for a video game is an idiot anyway.

So you know, the woman who died was actually trying to win a Wii for her children.

Yeah. Wanting to make your kids happy and give them something special is so idiotic.

Educate yourself before you comment.

Oh sorry, I forgot that video game consoles were the only way to make your children happy, and were worth risking your life in a contest over.

Blaming the brainwashers isn't the solution either. You have to draw the line somewhere. Eating at McDonald's and food addiction is one thing, but I think that the people who were ready to (or did, in some cases) bash people's skulls in with a baseball bat to rob their victim's brand new Ps3 were also idiots.

Oh sorry, I forgot that video game consoles were the only way to make your children happy, and were worth risking your life in a contest over.

Oh sorry, I forgot that you can NEVER make someone you love happy with something material, and if you do, it's immoral.

Blaming the brainwashers isn't the solution either. You have to draw the line somewhere. Eating at McDonald's and food addiction is one thing, but I think that the people who were ready to (or did, in some cases) bash people's skulls in with a baseball bat to rob their victim's brand new Ps3 were also idiots.

Did you note this sentence in my last post: "I'm also saying that, while you can blame them for not educating themselves, you can't blame them for society refusing to put out any leads."

Also, how did we get from "making your kids happy with a new toy" to "bashing someone's head in with a baseball bat in order to steal it"? That is a huge leap of logic.

I didn't say it's wrong to make your kids happy with something materialistic, but you don't have to do something that dangerous for a video game. There are lots of materialistic things you could give to a child that would make them feel special/give them something special.

My "jump in logic" to the Ps3 bit is to demonstrate how off the deep end people will go for things that aren't nearly worth the risk. Legally or not, both instances include risks not worth taking.

The majority of those professional eaters are not thin. Anyway they should still know better and if not the ignorant normally gets punished eventually. Just look at cigarettes. For a time there was no science saying it was bad for you...but common sense would say chalky smoke in your lungs isn't good for you. And sure maybe corperations do brainwash but people should only be able to get brainwashed so far...hence the common sensical people on here that don't consume milk because we know its not good for you...despite the fact that most studies actually disagree with that fact.

drink when youre not thirsty! When you actually feel thirsty you have already been dehydrated for about an hour or so.

I've heard this but I've never seen any form of science backing it up. If this were true then it should be equally rational to sleep when your not tired, poop when you don't need to and eat when you're not hungry.

Our body has been built through millions of years of optimization and it has a highly sensitive signaling system for it's needs. I don't think that system suddnly broke down. I still say drink when you're thirsty, your biological machine knows what it's doing.

The "drink even when your not thirsty" motto is from the bodybuilding crowd. I understand what you're saying Offense, it may not be natural to drink when you don't need to, but then again this is a rule of thumb for bodybuilders. Is it natural to carry excessive amounts of muscle? Of course not! Just like it might not be natural to eat when your not hungry or drink when your not thirsty. However it is this same unnatural activity that causes one to gain the unnatural amount of muscle a bodybuilder is out to gain. It might not be natural, and it might not even be healthy, but like one of my bodybuilding friends says, "It's called bodybuilding, not healthbuilding". Take it or leave it, but that's the game most bodybuilders/aspiring bodybuilders are out to play.