Bigbwii Question for you

Do you use smoothies made with fruit and greens? If not, why not and do you consider them to be raw junk food?

It really doesn't matter what I do or think because I'm not you, everybody has different needs at different times, knowing what I do isn't going to teach you about yourself....try it for yourself and see if it works for you at this moment in time.

Good luck....

Do you use smoothies made with fruit and greens? If not, why not and do you consider them to be raw junk food?

why would you consider fruit and/or greens junk food? That is the main staple of being "raw" bro!! I blend all my fruits in the morning and have a 72oz smoothie for 9 hours or so and thats it.

I'm not a bro but a sis!!

The reason I asked was because it was stated on Bigwii's site that the cookies and treats made by raw foodists was junk food. They are made from raw foods so I was wondering if he considered smoothies to be junk food. It was just a little confused as to what constituted raw junk food.

From what i've gathered from Big's posts is that if it's processed it's no good. This is his personal opinion as he stated above. If you allow yourself some processed raw things every once and awhile its up to you. Personally when i do it i think i'm going to keep my processed food intake to vega bars(because they're delicious and easy to carry around). Next week i begin my raw journey so i'll be sure to put my 2 cents in on this forum every once and awhile.

The reason I asked was because it was stated on Bigwii's site that the cookies and treats made by raw foodists was junk food. They are made from raw foods so I was wondering if he considered smoothies to be junk food. It was just a little confused as to what constituted raw junk food.

Think about it this way....all cooked food is made from raw foods too!!!

In my opinion raw junk food is any raw food that is altered, processed, refined, dehydrated...yadayadayada.....

It's all down to you how far/natural you want to go, 95% of all the people that go raw are doing it all wrong, doing it the right way takes too much dedication and is too frightening for people so if having smoothies, raw cookies, raw ice cream is something that helps you get through the day then go for it, experiment see how things make you feel and have fun.

Think about it this way....all cooked food is made from raw foods too!!!

In my opinion raw junk food is any raw food that is altered, processed, refined, dehydrated...yadayadayada.....

It's all down to you how far/natural you want to go, 95% of all the people that go raw are doing it all wrong, doing it the right way takes too much dedication and is too frightening for people so if having smoothies, raw cookies, raw ice cream is something that helps you get through the day then go for it, experiment see how things make you feel and have fun.

I have to agree. Unprocessed means Unaltered.

But smoothies aren't really altering food, beyond chopping it up. Is that really processing? If you cut your apple into slices before eating it, is that processing it? And if not, then why would making it into a smoothie be processing? Is it because more than one fruit or veg is mixed up together?

it is about where you draw the line.

When you cut food into pieces this is a process (food is processed). But although the integrity of e.g. the fruit is destroyed and the inside is exposed to oxidation, cutting does little harm. But the smaller the pieces you cut the faster the decay of the food is due to the greater surface and the number of destroyed cells. Milling or grinding food (I am sure you agree) means processing.

Everyone has to find the degree of processing she/he is comfortable with.

But if you want to define the term processing – it starts when you cut the apple into two pieces.

When you cut food into pieces this is a process (food is processed). But although the integrity of e.g. the fruit is destroyed and the inside is exposed to oxidation, cutting does little harm. But the smaller the pieces you cut the faster the decay of the food is due to the greater surface and the number of destroyed cells. Milling or grinding food (I am sure you agree) means processing.

But if you want to define the term processing – it starts when you cut the apple into two pieces.

Well said Flanders....it's all personal choice!

For me I've got a perfectly good juicer/smoothie maker...it's called my mouth, I put one fruit in at a time which means less stress on my digestive system, theres no cutting, no oxidation issue, no loss of nutrients caused by the speed of the blade, no loss of fiber, etc.

But that's just my opinion based on what I want from my lifestyle.

If people wanna juice then go for it.....

Actually, once you take a bite into that apple, or peel the skin off of an avocado and expose the flesh to air, oxidation occurs, so processing can be biting it too. If you drink a smoothie with fresh ingredients and drink it immediatley, there's no real loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that I haven't checked in here lately but thanks for the input. It's funny, but I got to thinking today about how making smoothies would take away alot of the precious enzymes in the food. Then I read this!! I do juice and that would constitute the same thing. I will keep experimenting as to what works best for ME!! I first have to wean myself completely off of cooked food and take it from there.

I guess that I haven't checked in here lately but thanks for the input. It's funny, but I got to thinking today about how making smoothies would take away alot of the precious enzymes in the food. Then I read this!! I do juice and that would constitute the same thing. I will keep experimenting as to what works best for ME!! I first have to wean myself completely off of cooked food and take it from there.

It doesn't take away a lot of enzymes if you drink it after blending it. If you leave it to sit out a little while then it will though.

It doesn't take away a lot of enzymes if you drink it after blending it. If you leave it to sit out a little while then it will though.

Yeah, I drink mine right away. I know some people store theirs but that to me would ruin the enzymes. Same with juicing. I used to store it in a bottle for a day or so but now I drink it as I make it. Enzymes are the key!!

Yeah, I drink mine right away. I know some people store theirs but that to me would ruin the enzymes. Same with juicing. I used to store it in a bottle for a day or so but now I drink it as I make it. Enzymes are the key!!

Storing a smoothie is like biting into a banana or apple and then storing it, (or avocado), it's supposed to be consumed in one sitting.

Ok, that's up in North Jersey then. I was born in NJ, in Summit to be exact. I have lived in Pluckemin, Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Quakertown, Flemington, and lastly in Pennsville (down by the Delaware Memorial Bridge) before we moved to VA in 1995.

I know where Newton is though. My husbands sister used to live in Chester which isn't too far away.

Ok, that's up in North Jersey then. I was born in NJ, in Summit to be exact. I have lived in Pluckemin, Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Quakertown, Flemington, and lastly in Pennsville (down by the Delaware Memorial Bridge) before we moved to VA in 1995.

I know where Newton is though. My husbands sister used to live in Chester which isn't too far away.

I pass Bernardsville a lot when I hang out in Dunellen NJ, it's exit 30 on Route 287, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Well said Flanders....it's all personal choice!

For me I've got a perfectly good juicer/smoothie maker...it's called my mouth, I put one fruit in at a time which means less stress on my digestive system, theres no cutting, no oxidation issue, no loss of nutrients caused by the speed of the blade, no loss of fiber, etc.

But that's just my opinion based on what I want from my lifestyle.

If people wanna juice then go for it.....

Cutting, blending food before you eat it also reduces chewing which is very important to the digestion process. Chewing activates the saliva and its digestive enzymes. Chewing also sends signals to the rest of the digestive system to prepare for the incoming food. So yeah, I agree with Big that the mouth is the best juicer. Ciao

Yeah but it would take eating a whole lb or more of carrots to equal what I can get out of one glass of juice!! I don't think that I am up to that!!

Juicing is better, you absorb much more of the nutrients that would otherwise be bound in the fibers. Keep with the juice.