why does pineapple burn my tongue?

Hero,

The bromelain enzymes are the proteases that may cause a sensation in the mouth when consumed. This is normal when eating more than a couple pieces of Pineapple...

Cheers,

Steve

oh okay word. i thought bromelain was found in the stalk and not in the actual "fruit" part?

i know all about how great bromelain is for the body and that be way awesome if it is in the fruit and i am consuming it.

and yeh, i eat an entire pineapple in a sitting.

Bromelain is present in all parts of the pineapple.... But because of our world of Supplements, manufacturers know that the Stem is the most common commercial source as it is highly concentrated in the stem.

They say the stem is edible but it would taste like crap and is not worth it!!! More of a nutrient/vitamin is not better - We need to realize that and get rid of the thinking of supplementing our diets or trying to eat something specific for it's high concentration in something!!!

I say just eat your fruit and nature will give you it's Best!!!

Also I have been known to eat 2 Pineapples in a sitting and man my tongue feels it but I love my Pineapple...

Cheers

this is common and some suggest it's the taste change suggesting you've had quite enough.

personally, i find i only get the burn if the pineapple is greener than ideal or picked a little too early. you just missed the prime season last couple months when they were ultra sweet but i think they are coming to a close.

if the burn you describe is a tickling sensation which feels like tiny pins are poking your tongue, then yeah i've experienced this too after eating a pineapple.

I was told it is the fiberous areas of the pineapple which causes this. like it has tiny fibers or something?

if the burn you describe is a tickling sensation which feels like tiny pins are poking your tongue, then yeah i've experienced this too after eating a pineapple.

I was told it is the fiberous areas of the pineapple which causes this. like it has tiny fibers or something?

Thats what I always thought - that it was the fiber in the pineapple cutting the tongue!!! most of the info on it - points to the enzymes...

I've gotten the weird prickly burning sensation after eating pineapple, too.

Someone told me recently that if you are sure to get all the little brown bits of peel off of the pineapple when you cut it up, then it won't burn your mouth. It might be true - the pineapple she gave me that day didn't burn at all. But then, I didn't eat the whole pineapple, either.

If it's true, then it'd explain why pineapple always burns my mouth. I've never been very meticulous at all about cutting out all of the brown bits... as long as I can chew it, I figure I've done a good enough job.