question about carbohydrates

nobbi

I am a person, who stores easily fat. After advice of some guys in this forum I did increase my intake up to 3000 kcal a day. It didn't help me gaining extra muscles, but I only get fatter Now I am back at 2000-2500 kcal. The problem is that I need lots of carbs to have enough energy for weight lifting. Carbs are - as far as I have heard - worse than fat if you try to keep your bodyfat under control. My question is: how long does it take to transform carbs into fat? Is this a matter of hours? Or immedeatley if you don't use them? Most people advice to take the biggest part of the carbs during the first half of the day. What if I take them 2 or 3 hours before weight training? If I add 30-45 minutes cardio after that, the carbs shouldn't have any chance to get stored as fat, right?

Hey Buddy,

I'll get back to you with this soon, sorry that you got "fatter." Were you still doing lots of intense cardio?

I'm not used to 3000 calories causing bodyfat. I know each person is different.

I used to eat nearly 5000, or over 5000 and I was still lean. I worked very hard in the gym and did cardio and stayed extremely lean.

So, now that you are back to just 2000-2500 make sure you're stilll able to gain muscle. I suggest you keep the protein intake high, that will help put on muscle or maintain muscle.

I don't know the technical question about carbs into fat. I used to know but I don't anymore, it has been years since I studied that. I know Kollison is fresh out of school so he probably knows this.

I also agree taking in carbs early in the day is great, and also before training. Be careful at night before bed to eat too many carbs, that can lead to fat easily.

Daywalker, Kollsion, or others, any suggestions here?

When I learn more, I'll post it. I used to be much smarter

But I also plan on doing some sort of Personal Training school (I think I'll be pretty good at it...natural motivator), and then I know tons of stuff. And when Topher gets out he's going to move out to Oregon to train me and train with me.

-Thin Thin Carb Him

Hi Nobbi.

Yes, each person is different. For example, by calculation i should take in about 3'700 kcal per day. I estimate i'm more around 2'500 for maintenance.

The calory intake varies with several factors. It can well be that 3'000 is too much for you.

But eating 2'000 for cutting shouldn't be a big problem?

15-20% fat calories, 20% protein calories, rest complex carbs, where's the big deal?

My question is: how long does it take to transform carbs into fat? Is this a matter of hours? Or immedeatley if you don't use them? Most people advice to take the biggest part of the carbs during the first half of the day. What if I take them 2 or 3 hours before weight training? If I add 30-45 minutes cardio after that, the carbs shouldn't have any chance to get stored as fat, right?

Yes, it's a matter of hours in small scale. You won't get fat in a few hours, though. Carbs that enter the bloodstream are either used as energy source in the body cells, or stored in the form of glycogen, but if the storages for glycogen are full, they will be stored as fat. That happens "immediately" when you eat lots of simple carbs that all enter the bloodstream at once. Eat complex carbs with high fibre, that way the carbs enter the blood slowly and you maintain a steady glucose level.

Eating carbs in the first half of the day is a good way. After the workout, even if it's in the evening, you should still eat som complex carbs, because if you don't all the protein you eat will then be used as an energy source, not as building material.

Even carbs you eat before the workout can be stored as fat, if you exceed your need. For example, when you eat the whole day lots of (simple) carbs and calorie and work out with only moderate intensity.

Hope this is useful,

love and peace,

D.

Cool Daywalker,

Thanks for the reminder of how it works I'll know it again soon. Then I'll be in better shape as well, the more I know about how the body responds to certain foods.

Take care, I'm off to bed (I know I'm up late again, around 2AM over here now).

-Thin Thin Sleepy Him