Gorilla Greens

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

MontanaVegan
Gorilla

#46 Postby MontanaVegan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm not sure about using coconut water for blood transfusions.
But it has been used intravenously.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... d=10674546
Turned Vegan and started lifting weights in the spring of 2006 - Age 42

Zack
Mastodon

#47 Postby Zack » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Hydration is not the same as saying it can be used in place of blood..

Cool though.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

the Asocial Ape
Manatee

#48 Postby the Asocial Ape » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:22 am

Zack wrote:Hydration is not the same as saying it can be used in place of blood..

Cool though.

when i can spare the money, i drink a couple of those aseptic packs of it, rather than water, after i work out. there's a HFS right down from the gym, and so it's very convenient
Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy.
-Comrade Mao

the Asocial Ape
Manatee

#49 Postby the Asocial Ape » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:25 am

veganpotter wrote:Yeah that seems quite odd to me too. Blood is loaded with iron and many many other things...coconut water has no iron, very little sodium and isn't even romotely like blood. It may be as thick but thats it.

it kept papillion alive! :p
Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy.

-Comrade Mao

crashnburn
Gorilla

#50 Postby crashnburn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:12 am

veganpotter wrote:Yeah that seems quite odd to me too. Blood is loaded with iron and many many other things...coconut water has no iron, very little sodium and isn't even romotely like blood. It may be as thick but thats it.

Not exactly Blood... But Blood Plasma. And the fact that it is PURE enough to be used intravenously.

In emergencies during the World War II it was used on islands my medics in case of emergencies.

WikiPedia and other sources that I looked it up at.

PS: I never said it was replacing blood. Merely, that it was one of the rare naturally occuring liquids that could be used for such a purpose because of pH / composition and purity due to the sealed shell.
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#51 Postby Odidnetne » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:07 pm

crashnburn wrote:

Not exactly Blood... But Blood Plasma. And the fact that it is PURE enough to be used intravenously.

In emergencies during the World War II it was used on islands my medics in case of emergencies.

WikiPedia and other sources that I looked it up at.

PS: I never said it was replacing blood. Merely, that it was one of the rare naturally occuring liquids that could be used for such a purpose because of pH / composition and purity due to the sealed shell.

That's still really interesting. ;)
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”