Help with Dietary Choices

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Help with Dietary Choices

#1 Postby sirdle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:17 pm

I need help with my dietary choices.

Disclosure: I am not vegan. I have explored vegan and vegetarian diets in the past, but never succeeded in making the cut-over. Health concerns are leading me to re-explore those options.

My doctor tells me I need to lose 50 pounds (no argument there). To do this, he suggested 3 alternatives:

1. Eat whatever I want, but only eat when I'm hungry and only eat until I'm not hungry any more. (This one isn't going to work for me.)
2. Read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and follow those suggestions. (High protein, moderate fat, low carbohydrate.)
3. Read "The China Study" by Campbell & Campbell and follow those suggestions. (Vegan. Moderate protein, low fat, high carbohydrate.)

I have just started reading these books and I have a long way to go... but the low carb book really rubs me the wrong way. It goes against my experience as an athlete (many, many years ago) and against my core beliefs (which, admittedly, could be wrong). The high carb approach strikes a chord with me.

I'm wondering if there is a consensus within this community about the proper ratio of carbs-fats-proteins, or if this really depends upon the individual biochemistry and physiology of each person?

My thinking (when I bother to think about such things) has always been that fat is the enemy -- so a meal plan should minimize fat and emphasize complex carbs while making sure it contains adequate protein. After considering the sugar-insulin-diabetes connection, however, I'm certainly willing to re-adjust my thinking and believe that refined sugar is the enemy and that the correct approach is one that minimizes sugar and allows the quantity of fats to float, while at the same time emphasizing complex carbs.

It seems absurd to throw out things like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, fruits and vegetables because they are high in "carbs".

If anyone can shed some light on this complicated topic, I would be grateful!

As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap the joy of love --- Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”