Bromelain

What is it?

Bromelain, derived from the pineapple plant, is one of a group of proteolytic enzymes (enzymes capable of digesting protein).

It is widely believed that most orally ingested enzymes are destroyed by the digestive juices prior to being absorbed. However, there is evidence that significant amounts of bromelain can be absorbed intact. Proteolytic enzymes other than bromelain are often used with people who suffer from malabsorption. Although bromelain in combination with other enzymes and ox bile has been reported to help digest food, it is generally not used for this purpose. However, bromelain does contribute to the digestion of protein, and may therefore be used as a digestive aid. Although many doctors assume that other proteolytic enzymes, such as those found in pancreatin, are more effective than bromelain in helping digestion and absorption, almost no research compares the relative effects of these enzymes.

Bromelain is an anti-inflammatory agent and for this reason is helpful in healing minor injuries, particularly sprains and strains, muscle injuries, and the pain, swelling, and tenderness that accompany sports injuries. Topically applied bromelain in the form of a cream may be beneficial for frostbite, possibly enhancing the rate of healing. and for cleaning debris from burns. These uses of bromelain should be supervised by a doctor.

Also as a result of its anti-inflammatory effect, bromelain has been found to dramatically reduce postoperative swelling in controlled human research. Double-blind research has found bromelain effective in reducing swelling, bruising,and pain, for women having minor surgery in conjunction with giving birth (episiotomy).

The anti-inflammatory effect of bromelain is the probable reason this enzyme has been found effective for people suffering from sinusitis.Some of the evidence supporting bromelain in the treatment of sinusitis comes from double-blind research.

Bromelain, in combination with trypsin (another enzyme), may enhance the effect of antibiotics in people with a urinary tract infection (UTI). In a double-blind study, 100% of people who received bromelain/trypsin in combination with antibiotics had a resolution of their UTIs, compared to only 46% of those who received antibiotics alone.

Again, probably due to its anti-inflammatory action, bromelain was reported to help patients with rheumatoid arthritis in preliminary research.In that trial, in which bromelain was given for varying (3-week to 13-month) periods, 73% had good to excellent results.

Bromelain is a natural blood thinner because it prevents excessive blood platelet stickiness.This may explain, in part, the positive reports in a few clinical trials of bromelain to decrease symptoms of angina and thrombophlebitis. In addition, bromelain reduces the thickness of mucus, which may benefit patients with asthma or chronic bronchitis.

Preliminary evidence suggests that bromelain may possess antitumor activity, though the true importance of this effect is poorly understood.

Bromelain can induce beneficial changes in white blood cells with possible effects on immune function.However, whether these effects would help people with immune system problems remains unclear.

Where is it found?

Bromelain is found mostly in the stems of pineapples and is available as a dietary supplement.

Bromelain has been used in connection with the following conditions (refer to the individual health concern for complete information):

Michelle,

I notice that you are a Texas resident also, and presumably an allergy sufferer like me. Just how well did bromelain aid you and what allergens are you most susceptible to, if I may ask? Mtn and Red Cedar, bermuda grass and many of the outdoor molds affect me.

Oddly enough, before I moved to Texas I was never an allergy sufferer. I will definitely try a bromelain supplement now seeing that it has benefitted you. Are you able to take it in place of the over the counter medication?

Michelle,

I notice that you are a Texas resident also, and presumably an allergy sufferer like me. Just how well did bromelain aid you and what allergens are you most susceptible to, if I may ask? Mtn and Red Cedar, bermuda grass and many of the outdoor molds affect me.

Actually, I have no idea which things I'm allergic to, I never took the time to investigate. I just know that I tend to have a reaction at the same times that others are walking around cursing their own allergies. It may even be the Houston pollution that affects me, as I tend to have a reaction when I return from being out of town. (Yes, moving is on my to-do list...)

Oddly enough, before I moved to Texas I was never an allergy sufferer. I will definitely try a bromelain supplement now seeing that it has benefitted you. Are you able to take it in place of the over the counter medication?

With very few exceptions, I've been able to avoid the over the counter (and prescription) medications completely for the past several years. I use diet modification, bodywork (massage, chiropractic), and natural supplements (such as bromelain) to keep myself healthy.

For allergies and random sniffles, I usually load up on Vit C, take bromelain, and avoid bread/pasta/sugar as much as possible.

Yes, I'm quite sure the air quality in Houston may be as much a factor for you as what I'm faced with in Dallas-Ft. Worth. I believe we moved up several notches on the list of cities with the worst air quality--we're now #8! This area is easily the most anti-green city I've ever lived in and is easily more regressive than what the S.F. Bay Area was 25 years ago.

I know that my food choices has been a factor in alleviating some of the worst symptoms over the last several years and once I purged dairy from my diet, the results were better still. Recently, like you I pretty much eliminated refined carbohydrates and table sugar as well.

I'm putting my order in for the bromelain--thanks!

I always crave fresh pineapple when im starting to get sick. In fact im about to run to the store and get some now. It's the best fruit ever.

Pure Trim vegan shakes have Bromelain in them! I am just looking at the ingredient list now.

Natalie are you getting royalties for all your pure trip propaganda? I might actually look into it, it seems way cheaper than Vega.

A friend ate half of a raw pineapple for breakfast every morning, on his final (and very successful!) attempt to quit a longterm smoking habit. He said the process was mostly effortless and comfortable, unlike the struggles I'd seen him and other friends go through quitting. I have no idea why he chose to eat the pineapple (don't think he did either, really) but it seemed to help quite a bit.

Wonder if the bromelain assisted with the detoxification symptoms?

Pure Trim vegan shakes have Bromelain in them! I am just looking at the ingredient list now.

Natalie are you getting royalties for all your pure trip propaganda? I might actually look into it, it seems way cheaper than Vega.

lol ya right. i wish. But I am very excited about this supplement because I struggled for a LONG time to find a 100% vegan powder that had other health benefits BUT THAT TASTED GOOD. I cannot eat anything for too long if I dont enjoy it. I love food, I love taste. I am a visual and taste person. So, when I tried Pure Trim I was in DAMN shock that this was the answer to my prayers. Seriously, it is that good. You all MUST try it. It tastes WAY better than Vega, and its cheaper too than vega. It is still expensive compared to like your basic protein isolates, but it is so much more nutritionally. That and the fact that I dont want to be putting cheap isolates in my body anymore that have lots of filler in them. I have recently read lots of bad stuff about "isolates" - whether whey (which is not an issue for vegans) and soy. It is the isolate process that is questionable from a health perspective. And even if none of this is accurate and isolates are 100% fine, I would still rather stick to non GMO vegetable pea protein concentrate and non GMO brown rice protein. I already get enough soy in my diet by eating tofu, choc silk soy milk, etc. I dont want my supplement to be soy isolate as well.

Watch - when I am competition ready in a few months, I am going to be attributing my success mostly to Pure Trim because I now have it at least twice a day. And, for those of you that love shake ideas, try mixing a teaspoon of the following extracts for some additional yumminess and just to keep things "new":

1) Cherry extract - I call this "Black Forest Cake Shake"

2) Mint Extract - "Choc Mint Shake"

3) Licorice and Orange extract - "Tiger Tail Shake" (although I tend to stay away from this because i dont think the licorice extract is vegan).

4) Banana Extract - If you dont want the extra banana calories but want the taste

5) or mix it up with some fresh organic strawwberries and a teaspoon of organic, fair trade certified cocoa powder for what I call "Chocolate Covered Strawberries Shake" (damn this one is TO DIE FOR).

6) Organix Blueberries for a "Chocolate Blueberry Shake"

Anways, I am really excited about Pure Trim because it tastes DAMN divine, it mixes DAMN perfectly in a blender (100% smooth, no gritt at all), and it has so many nutritional benefits like all the stuff Firstman4health listed. As a vegan, I miss milk chocolate. This damn shake satisfies my milk choc cravings too!! It's like I died and went to heaven!

Ash, seriously, contact him via email ([email protected]) and get some of this stuff. If after you try one packet and you dont like it, I will personally BUY the rest off you so you dont have to be stuck with a supplement you dont like.

But I am only speaking about the choc - I never tried the vanilla. I am not a vanilla person.

Compassionategirl,

I agree with you over the questionable nutritional merit of soy protein isolates. Personally, when I choose packaged product foods, whether they be supplements, cereals, etc. I seek out those that have the fewest processed ingredients. I too get enough soy protein from tofu and the homemade soymilk I make using non-GMO whole soybeans. (Last night in fact, I made a sugar free tofu/peanut butter pie with my soymilk--it was awesome!) There are entirely too many soy derivatives out there...

By the way, I think that your fondness for Prue Trim over Vega stems from the fact that the sweetener used is fructose, which is far more palatable than stevia (used in Vega) to most individuals. Tastier, to be sure, but unfortunately a step down from a nutritional and health standpoint.

As for the pineapple, I'm going to do my best to purchase it more often. Tropical fruits, whether they be pineapple, guava, passionfruit or papaya seem to deliver the biggest bang for the buck, nutrition-wise.

Michael

I will definately look into trying it out. I already avoid the soy protein isolates. I have two kinds of rice protein, raw hemp protein, and a soy free protein supplement made by naturade that has rice, pea, and potato protein in it. None of them taste very great unfortunately. Ususally just mix them up with some rice milk and a banana.

And pineapples are helping with my cold.

Hi Michael!

Ya me too. I get way too much soy in my diet as it is, so i would rather stick to supplements that arent cheap and bulk isolate powders with little other nutritional benefits. I hear ya brother!

I am looking on the ingredient list again now and I see that it has "sucralose" and "stevia leaf extract". and "soluble fibre glucose polymer complex". It also contains natural and artificial flavours, whicg Vega doesnt.

That is why I had said elsewhere that Vega and Pure Trim are comparable products because they are both loaded with amazing healthy ingredients beyond just the protein, but they arent exactly the same.

Nevertheless, for a little difference on the suger, they still taste WORLD apart on the taste and consistency when blended. So, even though Vega may be like 100% healthy and Pure Trim 99% healthy, I would rather sacrifice that 1% and drink something that I actually enjoy instead of drinking something that I am dreading to drink.

If you ever manufacture a vegan supplement in the future, PLEASE PLEASE make it taste damn amazing like Pure Trim.

Thanks for your post!

I have two kinds of rice protein, raw hemp protein, and a soy free protein supplement made by naturade that has rice, pea, and potato protein in it.

Since you have some experience with hemp, I recommend just buying the raw shelled hemp seed and blending with water, fruit and a healthy sweetener. You'll get a complete protein without the soy "phytates" that have been written about lately, plus a perfect Omega3:6 fatty acid ratio. Here's a link to the best prices I've come across:

http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com

If you ever manufacture a vegan supplement in the future, PLEASE PLEASE make it taste damn amazing like Pure Trim.

I'd do my best, compassionategirl! What I make in all honesty would not win over too many people at the moment. I wonder now if the chlorella in Vega makes the supplement less tasty than, say a decadent shake...that stuff, no matter the amount, makes everything it comes into contact with taste like seaweed. Ah, but what a superfood...! Brendan hit a bullseye in combining this with hemp and maca. Adding generous amounts of xylitol would help, but gosh, it's nearly 10X as expensive as sugar! Check out this interesting piece written about it:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xylitol.htm