Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:51 am 
Elephant

Troy wrote:
(I don't remember how you can have over 100g of amino acids in 100g sample, someone remind me please... thanks)

Here's the answer, found it from a protein supplement vendor's faq.

Quote:
Why the does the total mg of the amino acids add up-to over 1000mg? This can't be possible?

The answer to this is to do with the technique used for analysis. The amino acids are present as longer peptide chains, but in order to measure the amino acid content the peptide bonds between the amino acids have to be broken by hydrolysis which introduces water into the molecule and hence adds weight.

Thus when you add up all the amino contents as analysed and compare the total to the original 100g of protein there will appear to be more than 100 g of amino acids.

The dairy assure me this is the correct way of expressing the content and if people are declaring figures which do add up to 100 g then they are omitting the water introduced during analysis.

I run a vegan food webstore and retail store chain in Finland. Please check http://www.vegetukku.fi for more information (sry, only in Finnish)!

Post subject: That explains it!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm 
Rabbit

Yes, I went from Soy to hemp protein for several weeks and basically felt myself going backwards in terms of progress. That's a mistake I won't make again, certainly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:21 am 
Rabbit

So what is wrong with a calcium caseinate, whey iso or albumin? Does anyone even supplement with BCAA's or glutamine?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:46 am 
Elephant

i use mostly EAA supps but I used to take BCAA too. I know that some people around here use xtend which is glutamine, bcaa and some other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm 
Gorilla

Future wrote:
So what is wrong with a calcium caseinate, whey iso or albumin? Does anyone even supplement with BCAA's or glutamine?

Calcium caseinate, whey, albumin, ie. milk,milk, egg, ie. dairy, ie. animal products = not vegan. I just stopped using BCAA's and glutamine not because they weren't vegan, just think I don't really need them.

Diet
Training Log

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:33 pm 
Elephant

Troy wrote:
Future wrote:

Calcium caseinate, whey, albumin, ie. milk,milk, egg, ie. dairy, ie. animal products = not vegan. I just stopped using BCAA's and glutamine not because they weren't vegan, just think I don't really need them.

Also I would add, they don't offer anything nutritionnally interesting except for the proteins. Some have calcium, perhaps there's still some vitamins like albumin from white egg (?) but that's it. There's also some studies saying that high quantity of proteins may cause osteoporis. Thing is that some people say that does not happens when it's vegan proteins instead of dairies and other animal proteins.
"The main problem is the consumption of animal protein; studies have shown that protein from non-animal sources has health benefits. So the answer to preventing osteoporosis is not to consume a lot of dairy products, but to reduce animal protein consumption (...)"
http://www.jewishveg.com/schwartz/pcmyths.html
"It has been known for nearly 80 y that increasing protein intake increases urinary calcium loss "
"Indeed, a few observational studies reported an adverse association of high protein intakes with bone health (3). However, others found exactly the opposite"

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/75/4/609
... So we don't know what to believe concerning the possible inconvenients about whey and casein on calcium,
but one thing is sure, it's exploitation of the animals, and can cause other health problems than calcium loss on our health, like higher risks of breast cancers and other cancers.

If we look at cold processed protein isolates like hemp, spirulina, chlorella, there's way more than just proteins, it's some of the foods that contains the highest quantities and largest range of vitamins and minerals on Earth and it's full of benefits for health. Samething with brewer's yeast and other nutritional yeasts, which are over 50% proteins, containing all amino acids.
Even soy isolate, which is processed at high temperatures, is still a source of (depends which brand) calcium, iron, zinc, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, complex B vitamins, it has ability to help lower the cholesterol level, and the isoflavones in it have benefits not only for women but for men too. Studies now show that there's no negative effect from soy on testosterone level.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 pm 
Elephant

Where can I find gemma protein? I haven't seen it.. Although I don't think I looked very thoroughly either. I also wanna know if it has gluten in it and if it's easy to digest or not :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:42 pm 
Rabbit

I've never seen or heard of Gemma until this thread, is gemma similar to yellow pea/pea protein? Same thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:04 pm 
Gorilla

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Deta ... 2&pid=6816

"Gemma Protein Isolate Powder is extremely high in Leucine, Arginine, and Glutamine, along with a balanced amino profile. It is clean tasting for a Pea Protein, and mixes extremely smoothly with a lighter texture than Whey powders.

Gemma Protein Isolate is derived and isolated from peas and its natural protein fraction, which possesses a low level of denaturing and is very soluable (mixes very well). Gemma is NON-GMO, low allergenic and gluten free.

As dairy prices continue to rise, vegetable-based products like the new Gemma Protein will begin to change the protein industry.

The digestibility of this product is at approximately 90-95%.
" -TP

Diet
Training Log

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:43 pm 
Elephant

Gemma rocks!

I have tried the regular Vanilla (Stevia) flavor, and I would recommend one of their 'upgrade' flavors if you want less of a pea taste and more of a sweet taste...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 am 
Elephant

I just ordered a 45 pea / 35 hemp / 20 rice blend from trueprotein. (They only have 5% increments now). I'll see if it makes my workouts complimentary and synergistic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:04 pm 
Gorilla

chrisjs wrote:
I just ordered a 45 pea / 35 hemp / 20 rice blend from trueprotein. (They only have 5% increments now). I'll see if it makes my workouts complimentary and synergistic.

This ratio yields an amino acid score of about 124 on nutritiondata.com... great ratios!!!

Diet
Training Log

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:21 pm 
Elephant

Troy wrote:
chrisjs wrote:

This ratio yields an amino acid score of about 124 on nutritiondata.com... great ratios!!!

Just trying to mimic the 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice someone quoted from BB's Thrive book. I don't have that book (I have the thrive diet but it doesn't explicitly give the ratios in terms of mass) so I'm just taking this thread's word for it. :D

In top of the amino acid score, I'm thinking this will actually taste decent and blend better than straight pea which thickens a bit too much IMO.

Here it is on ND: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/recipe/569984/1 I have to read how they calculate that amino score number. I would have thought the blend would be roughly an average of them all. Maybe that fan illustration is deceptive and things aren't really maxed out when all the bars are full.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:05 pm 
Gorilla

You intrigued me to figure out a better combination to get a higher score. So far, the best I can come up with is 70% Gemma, 30% Rice = Amino Acid Score 141. (Higher than pumpkin seeds)

Diet
Training Log

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:14 pm 
Gorilla

Actually 68% or 69% gemma to 31% or 32% rice yields a score of 143 but TP doesn't allow those fractions.

Diet
Training Log

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next