Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:18 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:48 am
Posts: 274
That book sound REALLY interesting!

Troy, I see your point about the amino totals being the same, combining the same ratio of proteins every day. Really the hemp protein is the only one that has any additional nutritional value (omega 3,6,9). I guess another major reason I really like having hemp and rice protein in the mix is because it causes me way less digestive "excitement" than Soy alone. I have not used Gemma extensively yet, since I just opened my first bag last night, but my guess is that it induces gas just like soy? I am actually inclined to pay a little more and even consume slightly larger quantities of total protein if it will save me (and those around me :wink: ) from being gassy all the time.

But back to the subject of tweaking ratios...

Quote:
This could be a very tedius task as we have 18 different aminos, making up 18 different percentages to take into account.

Will you forward me a copy of the spreadsheet so I can play with it? I think I could probably make it so you could at least manually enter in your ratios and the spreadsheet would calculate the amino totals for the mix you entered. I'm not talking a fancy "slider-interface-thingy" like truprotein has, or something that will figure out the ratio for you, but if you entered in "80%Gemma, 10%Soy, 10%Hemp" or "75%Gemma, 20% Rice, 5% Hemp, etc... I have a pretty good idea of how to make it give you individual totals for each amino acid in the aggregate mix.

I'd start from scratch, but I'm just way too lazy to type in all that data you've already entered. :D

-Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 pm 
I doubt anyone here is really short on any of these amino acids since mostly everyone is eating more than enough protein...even just from diet and not from supplements...which is why I think the ratios are most important. I just wish we knew what they were and I don't think we will honestly know for a very long time. However more than anything I'd like to know which amino acids we need to make sure we don't eat too much of since eating tons of the percieved good ratios can mean eating way too much of a few aminos that may be very harmful.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:47 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:48 am
Posts: 274
Quote:
I just wish we knew what they were and I don't think we will honestly know for a very long time. However more than anything I'd like to know which amino acids we need to make sure we don't eat too much of since eating tons of the percieved good ratios can mean eating way too much of a few aminos that may be very harmful.

This is really annoying because I don't think we'll even have this information in our lifetime. I totally agree that it's plausable that there may be aminos that are harmful to human longevity. Even if someone does do a study on this, it's likely to be done with animals, so who knows how it would translate to humans (in addition to all the thousands of animals they would have to "over-nourish" and "under-nourish" using endless variations of aminos :? ).

Even if they did study this in humans, I think it would have to be on a purely "supplemental" basis (studying supplementation is okay, but depriving humans of particular aminos for an experiment is shaky from an "ethical" and "legal" standpoint).

I imagine someone could try and extrapolate data about aminos consumed by various indigenous cultures where everyone eats basically the same thing, and lives a very similar lifestyle, but as far as people living in modern society (bodybuilders, athletes, etc.), there are so many variables to try and control when studying something like this...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:55 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 1242
Location: Portland, OR
http://www3.addall.com/New/submitNew.cgi?query=1420043803&type=ISBN&location=&state=&dispCurr=USD

I just scanned this thread - Looks like some good info and interesting stuff. I'll have to come back and check it out more when I get a chance.

The link above should take you to the addall search page for that book. Might be cheaper than amazon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:20 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 848
Location: Wisconsin Dells, WI
DV wrote:
The 1st edition was written in 1997 but the 2nd edition (which I linked to) was published November 30, 2007. I held off on purchasing the 1st edition when I found out a new one was in the works. You might only find the 1st edition on any library shelves at this time. I wonder if any programs use this as a textbook?


Good to hear, I clicked on the "look inside" thing on Amazon and saw the copyright was 97... my mistake....

LongTimeVegan wrote:
I guess another major reason I really like having hemp and rice protein in the mix is because it causes me way less digestive "excitement" than Soy alone. I have not used Gemma extensively yet, since I just opened my first bag last night, but my guess is that it induces gas just like soy? I am actually inclined to pay a little more and even consume slightly larger quantities of total protein if it will save me (and those around me :wink: ) from being gassy all the time.



Regardless which kind of protein, I've always got some "excitement" going on, yikes... Right now I am mainly consuming Nutribiotic's Rice because I ran out of Gemma... just ordered 16 more lbs, should be here shortly...

LongTimeVegan wrote:
Will you forward me a copy of the spreadsheet so I can play with it? I think I could probably make it so you could at least manually enter in your ratios and the spreadsheet would calculate the amino totals for the mix you entered. I'm not talking a fancy "slider-interface-thingy" like truprotein has, or something that will figure out the ratio for you, but if you entered in "80%Gemma, 10%Soy, 10%Hemp" or "75%Gemma, 20% Rice, 5% Hemp, etc... I have a pretty good idea of how to make it give you individual totals for each amino acid in the aggregate mix.

I'd start from scratch, but I'm just way too lazy to type in all that data you've already entered. :D


Step ahead of you there, the spreadsheet already is setup to do that. All you have to do is plug in the percentages...50% rice, 20% Gemma, etc... and it will automatically calculate the percentage and amount of each end resulting amino acid of the mixture. I can forward it to you tomorrow, as it is not on the computer I'm currently at.


veganpotter wrote:
I doubt anyone here is really short on any of these amino acids since mostly everyone is eating more than enough protein...even just from diet and not from supplements...which is why I think the ratios are most important. I just wish we knew what they were and I don't think we will honestly know for a very long time. However more than anything I'd like to know which amino acids we need to make sure we don't eat too much of since eating tons of the percieved good ratios can mean eating way too much of a few aminos that may be very harmful.


This is an excellent point. Might I add more confusion to the mix...? OK, so even though we are looking in search of the ultimate amino acid profile, if and when this ever happens, you wouldn't be able to make a protein powder out of that exact profile... why? Because you would have to take into consideration your amino acid profiles from your other protein sources during the day... such as protein from fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, and obviously other proteins throughout the day, once you have this complicated mess of a profile figured out, you could then devise a protein powder to fill in the gaps. Thus giving your "pool" the "ideal" ratio on hand for your body to use. So even though a big step may be finding out what that profile is (if that ever happens), an even bigger step is creating an individualized protein based off of YOUR personalized diet.

Who wants to give up on this topic now?

_________________
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:43 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 2783
Troy good work. Also the ON BCAA, how is it derived? Synthetic?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:00 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:48 am
Posts: 274
CollegeB - It's the same stuff Vegan Essentials sells... "Optimum Nutrition BCAA powder".

Troy - I can't wait to play with your spreadsheet, thanks in advance. :D

I'm off to the gym... I'll be back later to update my training log.

-Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:14 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 848
Location: Wisconsin Dells, WI
LongTimeVegan wrote:
Troy - I can't wait to play with your spreadsheet, thanks in advance. :D


Would anyone else like the amino acid profile spreadsheet to play with... just PM me your email address I will send it out today...

_________________
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 pm 
I actually don't even think we need protein powder even as a bodybuilder. If we knew the perfect profile why not eat the food to get it. I ate 300g a day(as a minimum) as a vegan for years and took in 8-12000 calories of food. There's no sense in not getting the other benefits of the food. I think the major factor is that people need to eat like they train. If you want to get huge you've gotta lift beyond your comfort level...the same goes for eating food. I do have differing opinions from many here on how much protein you need in total to gain muscle but I don't disagree on the idea of taking in tons of calories.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:47 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 848
Location: Wisconsin Dells, WI
veganpotter wrote:
If we knew the perfect profile why not eat the food to get it.

Now thats hitting the nail on the head.

veganpotter wrote:
I ate 300g a day(as a minimum) as a vegan for years and took in 8-12000 calories of food.


Great Scott!!! That means the rest of your 6,800-10,800 other calories came from carbs and fat... I can't imagine putting away that much food... what were you tipping the scales at? and what was your physique like... bulky? lean? chubby?

veganpotter wrote:
There's no sense in not getting the other benefits of the food.


This comment makes me want to refute, but I can't think of anything that would refute it. Well put veganpotter.

_________________
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:02 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 356
veganpotter wrote:
I actually don't even think we need protein powder even as a bodybuilder. If we knew the perfect profile why not eat the food to get it. I ate 300g a day(as a minimum) as a vegan for years and took in 8-12000 calories of food. There's no sense in not getting the other benefits of the food. I think the major factor is that people need to eat like they train. If you want to get huge you've gotta lift beyond your comfort level...the same goes for eating food. I do have differing opinions from many here on how much protein you need in total to gain muscle but I don't disagree on the idea of taking in tons of calories.


I completely agree with this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:49 pm 
I cycled my weight twice every year for track season. I'd be a pretty chunky 320(not overly fat though) and cut down to 280 twice a year. This way I could focus on power in the preseason and focus on speed later in the year...the power I lost was well worth it for the speed I gained. Anyway each time it got harder since I had more muscle and less fat each time around. The first year I did this I was still pretty fat after I cut down buy by college I was maybe just a tiny bit chubby after cutting weight(but barely)...in the way an average sized NFL defensive lineman looks. Oddly enough I'd get 30-40lbs back on in less than 2 months...a decent amount of the weight gained and lost was water but regaurdless of where it all came from...it worked very well.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 28
Location: CA
Thanks for doing this Troy. Interesting information!

Anybody tried doing an analysis on Vega?

_________________
"What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do." T.F.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 28
Location: CA
Thanks for doing this Troy. Interesting information!

Anybody tried doing an analysis on Vega?

_________________
"What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do." T.F.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 848
Location: Wisconsin Dells, WI
I don't know if the makers have the amino acid profile or not, its a mixture of several different ingredients, not just one protein.

_________________
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group