Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

veggieprincess
Elephant

#76 Postby veggieprincess » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 pm

TheLeetOne wrote:Okay, so I just re-read the section in the book about the optimal amino profile, and I was quite wrong about the combination he'd mentioned. I thought it was 3:2:1 Hemp:rice:pea, when in fact it was 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice. The book says that this combo is not only complete, but "complimentary and synergistic" although it lacks a good explanation for this.

I've edited my previous post, and changed the table to show the amino profile of this new combo... it'd be nice if trueprotein.com started carrying a high-quality rice protein so I could order it premixed. ;)

Yeah, but we're lucky they carry as many options for Vegans as they do. I'm sure it makes up a very small percentage of their client base, so I'm suprised they have even the three to choose from
http://www.veganpersonaltraining.com;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zack
Mastodon

#77 Postby Zack » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:31 pm

veggieprincess wrote:
TheLeetOne wrote:Okay, so I just re-read the section in the book about the optimal amino profile, and I was quite wrong about the combination he'd mentioned. I thought it was 3:2:1 Hemp:rice:pea, when in fact it was 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice. The book says that this combo is not only complete, but "complimentary and synergistic" although it lacks a good explanation for this.

I've edited my previous post, and changed the table to show the amino profile of this new combo... it'd be nice if trueprotein.com started carrying a high-quality rice protein so I could order it premixed. ;)

Yeah, but we're lucky they carry as many options for Vegans as they do. I'm sure it makes up a very small percentage of their client base, so I'm suprised they have even the three to choose from

If you read bodybuilding.com quite a few of them use gemma, or at least a gemma/whey mix.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

Troy
Gorilla

#78 Postby Troy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Great post, I just ran the numbers on the 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice combo... very slick combo... heres what the Leucine:Isoleucine:Valine ratio looks like:
4:3:2Gemma:Hemp:Rice......2---:---1.09---:---1.29

compared to the

True Protein Gemma Isolate....... 2---:---1.07---:---1.20

It's very close to the Gemma Isolate for that ratio, still the plain Gemma is closer to the 2:1:1 that is claimed among so many BCAA supplements as being "proven". I wonder if the pea protein they used has a slightly different amino acid profile than the Gemma, I would assume this to be the case as Whey Concentrate has a different profile than Whey Isolate. I also wonder if this 2:1:1 AA ratio is something they were trying to achieve with the 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice... If so, this may make the Isolate a superior protein in itself, with regards to the 2:1:1 AA ratio.

On the True Protein forums you will also find information regarding rice protein. They are currently researching and figuring out which rice protein to go with and through whom.... maybe a Rice Isolate on the way???? who knows... but I even emailed them and they said they should have a deal for a rice protein very shortly...
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log

cubby2112
Elephant

#79 Postby cubby2112 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:30 pm

That is awesome. I have been wanting them to carry rice protein.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Zack
Mastodon

#80 Postby Zack » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Rice protein is gross. :psycho:
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

cubby2112
Elephant

#81 Postby cubby2112 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 pm

Zack wrote:Rice protein is gross. :psycho:

Yeah, it is the worst tasting protein I have had. It didn't bother me so much when I first tried it, but then my taste buds came to a realization. That is why I only use it in small amounts along with other types of protein in shakes.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

DV
Elephant

#82 Postby DV » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:57 am

Troy wrote:
DV wrote:...

http://www.amazon.com/Amino-Acids-Prote ... 1420043803

....comfortable reading something that could be an exercise physiology program textbook - then I highly suggest you get it. I am looking forward to applying this research to my program.

Its been 10 years since I took Phys. of Ex. in college and I hardly remember a thing from the class. I think I'd be pretty comfortable reading it though. I'm anticipating your full review and if you care to shed light on this subject after reading it. Maybe a holiday present to myself... :)

Troy,

It will probably take me all of next week to get through the book. I've read a few chapters and skimmed through other sections. I'm impressed with the amount of research referenced in the book as well as the very impressive credentials of the author.

Unfortunately, there's not a short summary of what to do because there are so many factors that count towards building muscle. Rather, the book is divided into 2 sections: The Theory and Naturally Anabolic. So the how-to part of the book is almost a hundred pages long.

Be forewarned that the author is not vegan and is not writing this book with vegan ethics in mind - there are animal studies referenced. There is a section on vegetarians and vegans, however.

OHKi
Rabbit

#83 Postby OHKi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am

I got brown rice protein from UK. It has a neutral taste and mixed with soy choc I can't taste it anymore.

the amino acid profile seems to differ from nutribiotic rice protein.

soy+rice mixed 60/40
amino acids /100g

Glutamin acid 18,3
Asparagin acid 10,4
Arginin 8,2
Leucin 8,2
Lysin 5,1
Serin 5,0
Phenylalanin 5,3
Prolin 5,1
Isoleucin 4,7
Valin 5,4
Glycin 4,2
Alanin 4,8
Tyrosin 4,4
Threonin 3,7
Histidin 2,4
Tryptophan 1,3
Methionin 2,0
Cystein 2,2

brown rice protein pure

amino acids /100g

gutamin acid 17,2
Asparagin acid 8,6
Arginin 9,2
Leucin 8,3
Lysin 3,4
Serin 4,8
Phenylalanin 5,5
Prolin 5,0
Isoleucin 4,4
Valin 6,0
Glycin 4,3
Alanin 5,4
Tyrosin 5,4
Threonin 3,7
Histidin 2,1
Tryptophan 1,2
Methionin 3,2
Cystein 2,4
faster, harder, stronger, vegan!

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

#84 Postby Vegan Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

robert
Site Admin

#85 Postby robert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:03 am

Even though I run this forum, I never even saw this thread until DV showed me. Thanks for the work put into it Troy and others. Great stuff!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

chrisjs
Elephant

#86 Postby chrisjs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Vegan Joe wrote:http://www.karihome.com.hk/pdf/Karihome%20GOAT%20INFANT%20FORMULA%20BROCHURE-0150%2025%20July%2005.pdf

Keep talking.
I'm listening.

How weird, I was going to post today about human breast milk, wondering what it's amino profile is. Of course, the nutritional needs of infants and adult athletes may be different regardless.

Sir Veganism
Rabbit

#87 Postby Sir Veganism » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Soy,hemp,amarath,spirulina, and all animal proteins all are complete proteins. And great job with that animo acids comparing chart :mrgreen: !
Become vegan, and enjoy better health.

seitan_man
Manatee

#88 Postby seitan_man » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:40 am

Sir Veganism wrote:Soy,hemp,amarath,spirulina, and all animal proteins all are complete proteins. And great job with that animo acids comparing chart :mrgreen: !

Quinoa and flax are complete proteins too I believe.

Sir Veganism
Rabbit

#89 Postby Sir Veganism » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 am

seitan_man wrote:
Sir Veganism wrote:Soy,hemp,amarath,spirulina, and all animal proteins all are complete proteins. And great job with that animo acids comparing chart :mrgreen: !

Quinoa and flax are complete proteins too I believe.

I forgot them :) , but them too!
Become vegan, and enjoy better health.

Troy
Gorilla

#90 Postby Troy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:06 pm

DV, hows the book coming along...?
Pain is weakness leaving the body
Video
Before/After Pics
Diet
Training Log

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”