New You for the New Year Contest 3

NYNY (New You for the New Year) Challenge, Contest #3 – January 13, 2012

We've made it through Week 1 of the New You for the New Year Challenge and almost all the way through week 2! And we wanna know...

What changes did you notice when you became vegan? (This could be related to anything from energy levels, to weight, to mindset and outlook, to taste buds, or anything creative you want to share). How did becoming vegan change you?

Here's How to Enter:

1) Post your answer as a reply to this post. (You must be a forum member to post/enter. Not a member yet? Click here: ucp.php?mode=register )

2) A winner will be selected at random from all answers posted by 9:00 PM Pacific on Friday, January 12. Prizes will be shipped at the completion of our New You for the New Year program, during the first week in February.

PRIZES!

3) Today's winner will receive a No Meat Athlete t-shirt, a No Meat Athlete ebook Marathon Roadmap - The Vegetarian Guide to Conquering Your First Marathon, and a Food Fight Grocery Stainless Steel 24oz logo water bottle.

Courtesy of http://www.nomeatathlete.com and http://www.foodfightgrocery.com

Remember, you can't win if you don't play!

Simply post your reply below to enter. Go!

http://www.store.nomeatathlete.com/assets/images/mens-technical.jpg

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Marathon-Spiral2.png

http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/product_images/p/671/Foodfight-water-bottle1_1_2__57356_std.jpg

Going vegan changed me in a ton of ways. I noticed a major change in my energy level first. I started eating a lot more fruits a vegetables and saw almost an immediate change in my sleep quality and mood throughout my day. I dropped a little weight in the first few months due to how improved my diet had become. Going vegan also brought my love for cooking back out. I had been the president of my school's culinary club in high school and after graduation I just fell away from cooking. I opened up to new foods and experimented with dishes from all sorts of ethnic cookbooks. I am in love with the foods I've found through veganism. I have learned a lot more about nutrition as well. Before the change happened I would never think about eating a balanced diet, I just ate what was convenient and cheap. Now I make sure I get the protein I need, calcium, vitamin C, A, D, as well as my iron intake. My favorite change of all has to be my mindset! Hands down. I was never a terrible person in my opinion, but there was much room for improvement in my attitude towards others and life in general. Since going vegan I have been much more compassionate and loving towards people, myself and the one existence I believe I have. I don't take things for granted as often any more. I feel alive. Sounds cliche I suppose, but it is absolutely true. I have never felt so connected at any point in my life, than these last 2 years. I live my life with a clean conscience knowing that I go out of my way to cause as little harm as possible. I spread the knowledge that I gain with my research because I believe in celebrating my intelligence rather than enabling ignorance. I constantly try to better myself every day. I'm in love with this lifestyle and I'll NEVER go back.

I became vegan in May of 2005 after working at a Fast Food Restaurant for several years, and becoming very disgusted with what I saw. There have been numerous changes in my life after almost 7 years of veganism, and I've had lots more energy than I've had in the past.

- I lost weight around my mid section, and had a 6 pack for the first time in my life by the end of the Summer, 2005.

- I've gotten very much into gardening, food production, and trying to make better produce more readily available at lower costs.

- While I've always loved fruits and vegetables, being vegan opened my eyes to so many fruits and veggies I've never really tried or appreciated.

- I've gained a major appreciation for food, everything from cooking to raw foods, seasonal and local.

- I've gained the Superhero ability of inspiring people around me to eat more fruits and vegetables. (okay, not Superhero, but it's still cool)

- Most importantly, I've made friends in all corners of the world, and have networked with so many amazing people doing so many incredible things.

Becoming vegan has changed my outlook on life in many ways. I feel so much more aware of my surroundings & my impact upon them. I take much more notice of how beings are treated, both near me & in articles/posts I read in social media. Obviously my diet changed significantly, & I found myself becoming so much more aware of what was in my food & where it came from. I have found that once it became known at my work that I was a vegan, so many people would want to ask me about it which allowed me to share my beliefs & knowledge without sounding preachy. Many came to respect my position & the many vegetarians at work appreciated having someone that had a stricter diet than them. If Damo could eat something at a work event, then they knew that it was fine for them to eat it too. Because I was rock climbing I found myself really wanting to eat well to maintain my strength and fitness, & proving to many that you don't need meat for protein, strength & muscle production. I found my asthma improve since ridding dairy from my diet and I saw improvement in my skin. I also supervise teachers of food & nutrition and since my change to veganism they have incorporated it into many of their programs which has sparked the interest of many students who then seek more information from either them or me. I really enjoy sharing my beliefs this way, because it is informing them through their interest in knowing more.

The path to veganism opened up a whole new world of food, friends, books, websites and restaurants for me! I researched and tried all types of foods I had been unfamiliar with before like flax, hemp, quinoa, amaranth, tempeh, coconut milk, athletic supplements like Vega, and websites like this one! I certainly found there was far more to it than a life of salads. And, I don't have to worry about getting enough protein!

For me going vegan meant cutting out dairy and making sure there were no egg products in the food I was eating because by that point, I had been vegetarian for a while. I initially became vegan for health reasons. I noticed a number of immediate and gradual changes when I did. I was no longer coughing all the time, I was able to give up my inhaler despite being told I would need it for the rest of my life, issues I was having with my reproductive system have pretty much disappeared (giving up sugar has also helped regulate my hormones) and all the gross mucus-filled colds and virus disappeared. I am no longer wrestling with sinusitis, bronchitis and asthma on a regular basis. I feel great!

I used to eat cheese three to five times a day. The only way to make it stick was to appeal to my sense of compassion, empathy and logic. I picked up Diet for a New America and sealed the deal. After that, even if I had a craving melted cheese (hurray for Daiya!) or found myself drooling over a hunk of brie at a party or butter croisssants in France, I could no longer put my cravings and need for indulgence before the animals, the environment and my health.

Being vegan has also given me the tools to inspire others by sharing what I know. There's no better conversation starter than showing up in the lunchroom at work with a colourful, varied and aromatic lunch. Through these experiences I've learned to be more tolerant of those who make different choices, a lot of times, they just don't know the full impact of what they're doing by eating what they eat. If someone doesn't want to know, I won't tell them but I've found that planting the seed and piquing curiosity can really make a difference over the long term. Their curiosity eventually turns into experimentation and that experimentation has sometimes lead to less animal products and more vegan fare.

Lastly, being vegan led me here and opened my eyes to the vegan athletic community. I am grateful for all of your inspiration. This is the first time I've logged in since May 2009 but I've continued to be inspired by Robert and the work that he's doing. Like I said last week Robert, your tweets, keep my head in the game. All your badgering will have my training journal up this weekend.

And good day to you all!!

It has been a little over 10 years now and I would not have it any other way. Growing up with a huge family we ate a lot of vegetables, pastas and not so much meat. At very young ages 2 of my sisters and I stopped eating meat because we just did not prefer it. My sisters are vegetarian but I took the plunge and went vegan at 17 after I cracked an egg and saw something that resembled an eye and blood (I will never forget). My taste buds have changed for the better. I don't use or cook with salt anymore. I lost a lot of uneccesary weigh and joint pain and get to cook everyday!! It has kept me on track more so now than ever in the health department. I have not been this weight since 5th grade and have never been a single number in clothing size as an adult. I have energy, great skin and I feel 1,000x happier and I am so grateful for that.

Becoming vegan led me to a wonderful community of people who are very helpful, wonderful new foods, improved mental clarity, improved sleep, and a happiness I haven't ever felt due to being sick all the time from being loaded down with meats and dairy products.

Becoming vegan has really opened my eyes to the world. I grew up with a family who doesn't season their food at all. Pepper? What is that? So when I became vegetarian then vegan 10 years ago I started seeing all these different types of foods out there that I could eat. My diet is so diverse now and quite colorful and I feel so healthy and happy and vibrant in a way I never was. I most certainly attribute this to my becoming vegan.

I know I missed the deadline..sorry lots of work yesterday.

ut I want to pot this anyways

Becoming vegan changed a lot in me.

I learned much about proper nutrition,

I have way more energy than I thought I ever would have. Not only more energy, I am more alert, and feel more balanced.

I am more aware about what is in my food, and I feel more empowered.

I like how my body is changing. I have shed some weight, I am walk/jog more, I life weights and now I am learning about other things I can give my body.

It's an amazing journey!!

Vegan in the only way!!

Thanks to rober, Engine 2, my trainer for the month of January claudia...she rocks!!

Becoming vegan has improved my health 10fold!!! In addition to that I have continued to do more research on what goes in my mouth and on my body. I am much more conscience of the the earth and animals and the world around me.

I also find that I am more "in touch" with myself - I feel physically cleaner an therefore think more clear. I may wax and wane between raw vegan and cooked vegan. however I'll NEVER go back to a carnivore lifestyle...

While many may think of veganism as a restrictive diet, when I went vegan my diet become much more diverse. I now get excited about eating fruits and vegetables! There is something very comforting about knowing that everything I am eating is actually good for my health.

Going vegan made me love food. As a vegetarian for 10 years I battled some pretty messed up eating habits. When I came to veganism, I lived in the middle of nowhere and had to learn to cook. I discovered I LOVED cooking and learning about new foods, and now I am a self-proclaimed vegan foodie.

Going Vegan lead me down a great path of compassion, livelihood and a great and very welcoming community. In the past few years I have been blessed to meet great vegan athletes, work with organizations to see sheltered animals get adopted and the retrospect of my childhood where we rescued any animal that was in trouble. and rehab them before turning them loose into the wild.

Going vegan has lead me to vega, which has lead me to so many new people and friends people I would never have known about otherwise and who I can consider a valuable part of my life. The choice was made at a good time and now the path has lead me to doing some great things this year that I am really looking forward to.

Steve

I had diabetes and sky-high cholesterol, even after losing 83 pounds and working out three days a week for five years. I tried the low carb diet and it did nothing but make things worse. So I decided to give a vegan diet a try for three months. Truth is, I was actually hoping it would NOT work. I couldn't imagine life without meat, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. But after three months, my blood sugar was completely normal and my A1c's were normal, too. My doctor was blown away and so was I. I thought that being vegan would be hard and boring, but I have tried more different kinds of foods in the last year and a half than I ever did before. I have so much more energy and I can train even harder. The biggest surprise was my last visit to the eye doctor. Seems diabetes makes your lenses hold water and makes your vision worse. So now that I am no longer diabetic, my eyesight has improved drastically. Instead of a 2.0 and a 2.5 in my prescription, I have a 1.0 and a 1.5! I'm enjoying all kinds of exotic new foods (to me, anyway!), and I am so happy to have conquered diabetes. I watched my dad die a slow horrible death from complications of diabetes, and being vegan is NOTHING compared to that. I am enjoying life with my husband and my grandkids, and looking forward to being healthy and happy for however many more years God grants me.

Over the last year being Vegan has changed me in many ways. It has opened my eyes to many things I was unaware of like factory farming, the true impact on the environment, water waste, and the numerous human health benefits associated with a plan based lifestyle. On top of all this it has allowed me to focus on losing 100 pounds in that same year. The final thing being vegan has changed for me is it has pushed me to follow my passion for health, fitness & nutrition and become certified as a personal trainer and as a nutrition advisor. I have come full circle in this trek to really focus on helping people understand a plant based lifestyle through various channels like my website, blog as well as through my online and in person personal training and fitness system. It has also allowed me to get connected with companies like Fresh N Lean whom I represent and provide home delivered vegan, diabetic and nutritious weekly meals. The very best part of this journey is getting to know people like Robert Cheeke and Derek Tresize, meeting other vegans in my community and online. In 2012 I plan on taking this much further and really pushing my limits to make a full time career out of all that I have learned and pursue other education involving a plant based lifestyle and its numerous benefits!

My blog and website can be seen at http://kelsprofit.webs.com

Kel Bartlett

For me the change to become a Vegan is something I never even considered before. I went from eating meat and dairy products in quantities to cutting it all out over night.

I thought it would be alot tougher, as I thought I would miss the taste or find food boring but it's quite the opposite, I don't miss the taste at all and I am eating a wider variety of food now.

I have always enjoyed all vegetables but now it's like I can really taste them and appreciate them.

I have found myself less lethargic, my girlfriend will call it laziness but I often felt sluggish but with no idea why. I am full of energy now so I can perform better in the gym and at work.

My sleep has definately improved, I used to wake up sometimes twice a night but now I'm gone once my head hits the pillow.

I know I am totally new to the vegan lifestyle but to me I think I have

de a bold move in my life and I am proud of myself.

Thanks for the support and knowledge of everyone on this site

Love the peaceful lifestyle, lost weight, smell better, feel better, no more joint pain, no more illness, growing hair back and coming in darker, more energy, no more phlegm, no more foot odor, nails are stronger, teeth are stronger, healthier & whiter, eyesight is better, hearing is better, thinking is better, no more foggy mental thoughts, thinking is better and clearer, breathing is best ever, I can exercise again and am getting all my muscle tone back, more focused and conscious eating so I'm eating when hungry and no more emotional eating, with low fat raw vegan eating I no longer have cravings for sugar and chocolate and any other damaging addictions, no more constipation or irritable bowel syndrome or bloating, clear urine, no more need for deoderant, I also use only vegan soaps and detergents, etc. etc. I'm sure there's more....

It made me realize the impact I had on everything around me, and everyone around me. It has made such a profound change in my life because it has allowed me to be the person I am inside without worrying about the judgement of others. As I've started bodybuilding it has affected how other people view me as well. I really think being a healthy vegan gives you a glow that everyone else notices and they flock to the positivity you give off. So it has changed me and everyone around me. My best friend is vegan now and so is my mom. I really feel that doing so has saved their lives. It really allows you the strength and positivity of mind and being attained that show others what being vegan really means. Its not some snobby hippy thing anymore. Its a positive way to live and the only way people should live.

One thing that I noticed, and continue to notice, is that after a vegan meal I don't ever have that real heavy "I think I'm gonna pop" feeling. It is amazing how much easier on the body plant-based foods can be in comparison to meat and overly processed items. I think another factor in this is that I am just generally more health conscience and understand serving sizes which prevents over indulgence as well. I think most of us could probably fill several pages of things we've noticed since becoming vegan, but that's the one that stuck out to me.

Turning vegan in May 2008 changed my life completely. I had been vegetarian since 1998 when I was 12, but then in May 2008 I met my current partner. I don't think I would be vegan now if it wasn't for him, I'd never questioned my vegetarian diet before (I don't think I had met another vegan before him)

After seeing Earthlings and various other films I knew had to change my diet not just for me but for the animals and the planet. Being vegan and seeing all the propaganda that pushes meat and dairy that's 'the best' and 'essential' has made me question everything I read or hear. Not everyone is out for the better of me, certainly not big corporations.

My weight went up when I turned vegan, I found many foods i'd never tried before like houmous, couscous, tofu (in chinese takeaway), and dates. All of which I love now. My weight is now slowly going back down with a better vegan diet including more raw and less soya cheese and meat substitutes (and fries!!) and more exercise.

I wear my Vegan bodybuilding and fitness vest to the gym in the hope it will get someone to think. I love coming on forums like this one and facebook and hearing other peoples vegan experiences. It's exciting that the vegan community is growing all the time. My daughter also went vegan when I did. I'm so proud of her, she's vegan by choice now, she knows the facts and happily tells anyone that will listen long enough that she is vegan.

Aswell as our diet being kinder to the planet, it also got me and my partner looking further into other things......we are currently living in a converted double decker bus with my daughter, we power the electrics with solar, the heating and hot water with solar and a wood stove (which is also currently our only cooking appliance) , recycle, and where we can use fallen wood to power the stove. We are now striving to live a simpler/greener life in general.

I will be vegan for life.

I’m a newbie vegan only been vegan since January 1st 2012; I have been vegetarian for about 10 years very occasionally eating chicken. I decided to make the change after doing some research and watching Food Inc. and forks over knives. I spent the month of December researching about veganism and I think in the past I believed that you could not be strong on a plant based diet.

I now know it simply not true and I have never felt better eating vegan, my skin has improved, I have lost weight, I am sleeping better and I feel great i have more energy than ever.

I think I have been more creative with food since changing and I seem to keep thinking of great recipes ( I say great, but they seem that way in theory but in practice will have to wait to try them!!)

I think its one of those things that continue to change people for the better.

I grew up a vegetarian, and it was always for the animals. I became vegan "for good", I think around May 2007, and I have to admit I was at first worried that my energy would decrease, and I wouldn't be able to exercise like I had been. Well obviously that ended up being a total myth, and I excelled in my workouts instead. I don't think the nutritional benefits of being vegan hit me until I joined this website that September. I started learning about plant based nutrition, and different sources of protein besides soy, and then a month later I met Robert at a Veg Fest. That was a blast, especially working out at the gym, and finding a new vegan friend. Since then I continue to learn what I'm capable of as a vegan athlete, and as an influence to others. I cherish all the people I've met through this website that continue to motivate me to eat well and aspire to their levels which I may never reach, but I won't give up. Don't get me wrong, I am still a vegan for the animals, but now I'm also a vegan for me, and the great and healthy benefits this way of eating bring to my life that I can and do share with others.