Back Squat VS Front Squat?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Busomjack
Rabbit

Back Squat VS Front Squat?

#1 Postby Busomjack » Fri May 25, 2012 3:11 am

I think I prefer the back squat even though I like the front squat. Even though the front squat is obviously not going to target the glutes and hamstrings more than the back squat but I think the front squat is harder to cheat on since any kind thoracic flexion is going to cause the bar to fall and thus it helps stabilize your spine and it puts your core at the center of gravity. The back squat is obviously going to target more muscles and allow you to lift a heavier weight thus I think it's more of a functional movement. So yeah I think most people should probably put emphasis on the back squat although the front squat does make a good auxillary lift, especially for those who are training the olympic lifts like the clean.

WhenDanSaysJump
Rabbit

Re: Back Squat VS Front Squat?

#2 Postby WhenDanSaysJump » Fri May 25, 2012 2:27 pm

They're both awesome. Do them both. Often.

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#3 Postby veggiesasquatch » Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Nothing compares to a back squat, period.
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

Busomjack
Rabbit

#4 Postby Busomjack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:01 pm

veggiesasquatch wrote:Nothing compares to a back squat, period.

Yeah, it seems that way. I must be using more muscles for the backsquat otherwise I wouldn't be lifting as much. It does however seem that my core gets a better workout doing the front squats though.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”